The Big Adventure

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Hi, Sheila, I've seen you around on the boards, but didn't realise you were a Kentish Girl (or Girl of Kent) too.

Regarding the women's retirement age, when I have my equality head on, I do think it's fair that men and women now retire at the same age.

But, it is frustrating that the goalposts have been moved so much. If the age was still 60, I would feel that I could include my state pension in our plans, but as it is now, my state pension date feels like an impossible date in the future, I've almost discounted my state pension from my calculations!

Good luck with your plans.

Footnote from yesterday - it was a NSD.

Today is a slightly unusual Wednesday, as Mr G has gone to work on his normal day off. But there is a big lunch for all the staff today, so the opportunity to get a free meal was too much for him, so he's gone in, and will have his day off another time.

I'm going for a walk in a minute. I used to be very good about doing a daily walk when weather permitted, but last year I got out of the habit, so I'm going to try and get back into this.

Then I'll do some general tidying work in the garden. We don't have a big garden, it is laid to lawn, with shrub borders. We have a patio, with tubs for flowers and veg / fruit.

This year we are using a mixture of shop bought plants and seeds. The idea being that we'll get used to growing from seed, and will reduce the need for shop bought plants. We have strawberry plants, from last years, bought a few tomato plants, and are growing dwarf beans. I think we'll also buy in courgette and cucumber plants to grow.

Will also need to pop out this afternoon to pick up the top I ordered from M&S.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Well I guess I should be honest I am actually an Essex girl!!! But have lived in Kent for many many years.

I absolutely think we should all be equal but I just wish they had done it a few years later so that I would not have lost out on 6 years pension etc.

I am lucky as we have a bolt hole abroad and this features largely in our plans but it's so frustrating when we would live to be there full time.

Love that your OH has gone in for the free lunch :rotfl:
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Goldie...just discovered your diary and have subscribed. I love the way you are planning for your retirement while still enjoying life. My own life is far more chaotic - especially at the moment - and retirement is a long way off. But it's never too early to learn how to do it properly.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • Goldiegirl
    Mint1955 wrote: »
    Well I guess I should be honest I am actually an Essex girl!!! But have lived in Kent for many many years.

:rotfl:I'm an Essex girl too!:rotfl:

I was born in Essex, and lived there until I married. My husband is originally from south London, and worked in Victoria at the time. We decided to move to Kent, as London house prices were out of our league, and the commute to Victoria from Essex was a bit painful. I was looking for a new job anyway, so it seemed the right thing to do. I've never regretted it either. Been here 33 years this year. My parents continued to live in Essex, and I visited regularly, but since my mum died in 2008, I haven't often gone over there.
  • Goldiegirl
    mouche wrote: »
    Hello Goldie...just discovered your diary and have subscribed. I love the way you are planning for your retirement while still enjoying life. My own life is far more chaotic - especially at the moment - and retirement is a long way off. But it's never too early to learn how to do it properly.

Hello Mouche, thanks for subscribing.

I remember from reading your diary that you have got a lot on your plate at the moment, so I hope you get back into your home soon
  • Goldiegirl
    A working day today, which fortunately went quickly as it was busy. And due to my working pattern, it's my only working day this week :j

As is usual for a working day, it was a NSD

In a normal month, my pension and Mr G's salary goes in on 20th, his pension goes in around 23rd, and my salary goes in on 27th.

Due to Easter, the things due in on 20th have gone in today, so, for accounting purposes, April is over and May has begun.

I normally wait until all the money is in and the credit card bills are in before I do the figures, so I'll do that towards the end of the month. I tend to spend on credit card so I can collect Nectar and M&S points, but I do pay the balances off in full each month!

I got a small rise in my pension this month and Mr G got a salary rise ( the first for about 4 years). Together with the changes in the tax allowance, we should be around £110 up this month, so that's a bit extra to go into savings
  • Goldiegirl
    So far a reasonably productive Good Friday.

We went out earlier to buy some geraniums for a couple of plant pots, and a cucumber and a courgette plant. Also stopped off at the supermarket to get spuds and leeks.

I've washed three net curtains and they are drip drying on the line, together with another load of washing. I have six windows with nets, so hope to do the others tomorrow. I only possess one set of nets, so I like them washed and back up on the same day. Also a good chance to wash the windows.

Now looking forward to our hot cross buns.

I was thinking of doing some garden tidying this afternoon, but it's turning a bit dull, so we'll see.

I've noticed it's free listing for Easter on eBay. I'm away next weekend, but I've got about 6 listings prepared, and a load of relists, so will get them up on 10 day auctions at some point, so they'll finish when we're back from our break.
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Hi goldiegirl

Do you get emails advising you of free listing days? I used to get them, but haven't had one for ages.

DD1 wants to list some of her stuff. She is trying to raise money so she can study in America next year. We are just waiting to hear if she has been accepted.

I am so glad that she is getting the idea of budgeting and saving. :-) .. all her flatmates are in awe of her, hehehe!

I do exactly the same as you on credit cards -- love my m&s one. It is also useful for nuying currency, as they do not slap a charge for cash on it. I save my vouchers and then wait for offers, and have had some excellent bargains! The nectar one takes much longer to build up a balance. I've got my eye on a weeding tool when I have the right number of point (I am *so* rock and roll :D)

Have a lovely Easter
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi Goldie

I know I'm a bit late, but welcome and good luck.

Broadstairs is lovely isn't it. I spent alot of my childhood down there as my grandma had a house down there and we could use it for holidays any time we liked - I was devastated when it was sold in the mid 80s.

I have been back a couple of times as I still have some family there - some changes, but not that many.

Wishing you loads of luck with your plans - I too love the odd M&S meal (usually for a lunch when I'm at work), but I do try to keep it to the odd treat.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Goldiegirl
    Hi MCI :j

Yes, Broadstairs is a really lovely place to visit. We were last there about 3 years ago, really must go again soon.

Julliff, I do get the email notifications, but I've read that many people don't get the email, but still get the free listing anyway. They recommend trying a test listing to see if you get charged or not.

M&S points work really well for us. We usually save up for some Christmas food treats, and last year Mr G got a completely free pair of shoes using the points .

We've used Nectar points for Christmas food as well, but I have just made a note to myself to check what other perks are available.

Managed to get out into the garden to do some tidying this afternoon, so pleased with that. More of the same tomorrow, I should think
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport