The Big Adventure

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Well, that's the parcelling done.

The weekend's eBay sold total is 15, with 13 paid so far.

Apart from all the eBaying, I've done a pile of washing and ironing. It makes that sort of thing so much easier when it's dry and sunny.

I've ordered and oil olive spray and Olbas oil, for my ear problem. Just before lunch, I had a spell of tinnitus, which has subsided now, but I really need to get this sorted out. I hope the oil will do the trick, otherwise it's a trip to the docs.

I've done my online grocery order. I sincerely dislike going to the supermarket for grocery shopping, so doing it online is ideal for me. Prior to the start of this year, I did a weekly order, and paid the delivery fee. Now I'm doing an order every two to three weeks, making sure the order is over £100, so I can get free delivery on Tues to Thurs. I find that I'm taking advantage of offers on things like loo rolls and washing liquid, to lay in stores to use next year, when our income is lower - that's the theory anyway, but maybe I'm just turning into a hoarder!

I can claim a NSD too. I paid for my oil order with my Paypal balance, which I don't include for NSD purposes.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Well, that's the parcelling done.

The weekend's eBay sold total is 15, with 13 paid so far.

Apart from all the eBaying, I've done a pile of washing and ironing. It makes that sort of thing so much easier when it's dry and sunny.

I've ordered and oil olive spray and Olbas oil, for my ear problem. Just before lunch, I had a spell of tinnitus, which has subsided now, but I really need to get this sorted out. I hope the oil will do the trick, otherwise it's a trip to the docs.

I've done my online grocery order. I sincerely dislike going to the supermarket for grocery shopping, so doing it online is ideal for me. Prior to the start of this year, I did a weekly order, and paid the delivery fee. Now I'm doing an order every two to three weeks, making sure the order is over £100, so I can get free delivery on Tues to Thurs. I find that I'm taking advantage of offers on things like loo rolls and washing liquid, to lay in stores to use next year, when our income is lower - that's the theory anyway, but maybe I'm just turning into a hoarder!

I can claim a NSD too. I paid for my oil order with my Paypal balance, which I don't include for NSD purposes.

Well done on the ebaying - not a bad result! :) I see there is the facility on listings now to apparently re-list unsold items for free for a further 3x - I'm guessing this won't be in the 20 items??

I don't mind wandering around a supermarket - I find it quite relaxing in general. What I don't like is putting all the shopping away - so I rarely use online delivery as they save me the bit that I don't mind and leave me the bit that I dislike!! I've been known to leave non perishables in bags overnight because putting them away bores me silly :o Silly, really - it's not like there's a shopping fairy who's going to come and do it for me.... sigh...
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Goldiegirl
    I must admit, I'm not too keen on putting the shopping away either!:rotfl:

I used to have my delivery on Monday nights, but switched to Tuesday morning, so I could take advantage of the free delivery for orders over £100. When it was delivered on Monday evening, I could rope Mr G into helping me put everything away, but now I have to do it by myself. But, from 28th April, they are changing the free delivery to Mon-Thurs, after 2pm, so I'll be able to have free delivery on Monday evening. Result!

I'm a bit suspicious of that three free re-listings thing. I've read a few postings on forums where people suggest you get charged when it re-lists, and get the money back if it sells. I might try a test listing to see what happens, but I'm reluctant to tick the box on all my items, in case I get huge fees slapped on my account!

Will be off to the post office in a moment with the weekends parcels, then I intend to get as much housework as possible done by 12 o'clock, as I'm having lunch with a friend, which will be a nice change for a Monday
  • Goldiegirl
    Arrrggghh!!

I queued up for 15 minutes in the Post Office this morning, and when I got to the front of the queue they told me they couldn't take my parcels, as the 'hatch' was broken!

I'm a regular in there every week, you'd have hoped they might have suggested that I could have taken them round the back, and they could have opened the door, or something.

I had to go to the next nearest post office instead. I'm glad I took the car, if I'd been walking I'd have been fed up, lugging those parcels around.

In better news, I had a nice lunch with my friend. I looked at the top I liked in M&S, still not in my size, so I've ordered it online, to collect on Wednesday. I had a £10 voucher to use, so made a bit of a saving.

Had a letter from my pension people, my pension is going up this month by £19 per month. So pleased about that.

I've also managed to persuade Mr G to apply for his bus pass. As a woman his age is already retired, it means he's eligible for his bus pass. He says he never uses the bus, which is true, but he can now start, if needed.
  • Goldiegirl
    Things I need to do today.

Put shopping away (already delivered)
    Post eBay parcel
    Tidy and clean kitchen
    Do freezer inventory - it's only a small freezer, not really big enough for my current needs, but it's surprisingly easy to lose track of what's in there.
    Do small pile of ironing.
    Pay for holiday:j (river cruise in Europe)
    Look at LP's taken out of loft, to prepare for eBay listing.

I'd better get on with it!
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Hi goldie

I must say, I admire your commitment to listing on ebay. I occasionally list, but when I do, I always have a feeling that it is not really worth it. The amount of effort to package everything up and get it to the post office ( this is a killer for me), coupled with the fees you have to pay ebay and paypal seem to make the profit hardly worth it.

River trip sounds fab :-) I have never fancied cruising, as the idea of sleeping on a ship freaks me out, but I think I could if it were a river, and not the open sea.
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Me too RE: eBay. I have an eBay pile which has been sat un-eBayed for far too long. I really must get it sorted soon before it starts gathering dust.

Have you thought about doing the royal mail surveys (thread here)? You get stamps for them, and whilst they can be a little time consuming at times, if you're in the post office regularly chances are it would work for you and you could use the stamps to send your eBay items for 'free'. I often use stamps on a parcel to the value of sending it instead of paying at the counter now :)
  • Goldiegirl
    julliff wrote: »
    Hi goldie

I must say, I admire your commitment to listing on ebay. I occasionally list, but when I do, I always have a feeling that it is not really worth it. The amount of effort to package everything up and get it to the post office ( this is a killer for me), coupled with the fees you have to pay ebay and paypal seem to make the profit hardly worth it.

River trip sounds fab :-) I have never fancied cruising, as the idea of sleeping on a ship freaks me out, but I think I could if it were a river, and not the open sea.

I have been eBaying quite a lot over the last 18 months, but as I only work part time, and I have two post offices within easy reach, it hasn't been too awkward to manage. I'm keen to complete the de-cluttering process, and will keep plugging away at it, but I agree that it is getting less worthwhile doing it - my fees have increased noticeably since they started charging the final value fee on the postage cost.

I looked through the LP's this afternoon. In view of the upcoming abolition of the free 99p listings, I only managed to find 4 that I felt would attract buyers, and were also in excellent condition. The rest are going into bulk lots.

I must admit, I'm looking forward to a time when the de-cluttering is done, and I only list occasionally, when either me or my friend have a few bits to sell.

Beckyy, you reminded me that I actually did apply for the Royal Mail surveys back in December, but I never heard anything. I suppose there's no vacancies in my area. More stamps would be very helpful, as I often put smaller parcels in the post box- any things better than queuing at the post office!

I got all my chores done today. I was very pleased to do the freezer inventory, makes me feel a lot more in control. From May, I'm going to start proper meal planning too. I have been meal planning a bit, but it's all a bit ad hoc and done in my head. I'm going to start getting down properly on paper, or rather on my laptop.

Ohh, just before I go, it'll be the first river cruise that I've done, although I've done sea cruises before. The sea cruises are so big these days, it's genuinely possible to forget that you are surrounded by sea. I always suggest people try a two day taster cruise, to see how they get on. It's very easy to get hooked!
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You might well still hear back from them. I applied a long time before I got accepted. I'd totally forgotten about it and assumed it was a no but I got an invite by email one day, I think it might have gone to my junk email come to think of it, but the extra stamps come in very handy - especially when the prices seem to be going up constantly now!
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Goldiegirl,
    Loving the diary. Two reasons, one you must live very close by as Bluewater, Canterbury and Whitstable are mentioned and two, I love that you have a very lovely viewpoint on your future plans and needs both money wise and what you and OH will be aiming for.

I am 58 non working for the last couple of years but as you know us ladies are now having to wait until 66 for any money. So living of OH who is 48 :) and really hoping that he will retire when he is 55 so we can spend some retirement years together.

The spreadsheet is being adjusted all the time and I dream of the day we can put it all into practise.
    Sheila
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family