The Big Adventure

Comments

• Julliff I stopped getting the email notifications from eBay about FLWs too, no idea why! I do a test re-list on a Sat morning to see what the score is! It's often in Announcements on the bottom left of your My eBay page too, I couldn't see it for Easter ..until I realised it was emblazoned across the front of the home page :D

Sorry to hijack your diary there Goldiegirl :p My best friend lives on the London/Kent border and works in a v stressful job and keeps saying she wants short breaks but everywhere is too far away, I'm a northerner and have spent v little time in Kent but know it is beautiful and keep saying to her "you live right next door to the garden of England, what are you on about?" :rotfl: I've suggested Whitstable for her to start with, any other suggestions gratefully received :)
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I think this is great area for short breaks, and I often find that a day out is as much as a boost as a weekend away.

It's very handy for London, and we like to go up from time to time, but I think, by the sound of it, your friend wants to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Off the top of my head, things that come to mind include Rochester, which for me is a nice morning or afternoon out - There's the castle and cathedral and a quaint High Street. Chatham Dockyard is also nearby. Dover Castle is fantastic for a day out, so much to see. I also have enjoyed historic buildings with grounds to walk round, like Leeds Castle, Penshurst Place, Hever Castle. Canterbury has already been mentioned on this thread, we often go there. Over the border into East Sussex, there's Sheffield Park Garden, which is lovely to see over the changing seasons.

For a weekend away, I'd always suggest the New Forest, it's within a two hour drive. There's lovely walking in the Forest itself, easy access to the coast, good places to visit like Portsmouth Dockyard and the Motor Museum at Beaulieu. If I won the lottery, I'd move to the New Forest.

That's just a few places for a start off!

Hopefully, after we stop work, we want to see more of this country, so we certainly intend to be venturing further north. I've been to Blackpool and York, and spent time around Birmingham, but there's so much more to see. I can't wait! :j
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Yesterday took an unexpected turn.

On minute I was sitting watching Man of Steel on Sky movies, next minute I was extremely sick and dizzy and literally had to go straight to bed to lay down. I've no idea what caused it, but it was pretty horrible!

I've had a good nights sleep, and just feel a little weak and washed out this morning.

I'm going to take it quite easy today. We have roast chicken for lunch which I'm really looking forward to, so I'm glad it's something I really fancy.

I just can't work out how I was fine one minute, and feeling really ill the next - very weird!
  • shala_moo
    shala_moo Posts: 3,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope you're ok today..

Make some chicken soup out of the leftovers - it cures all ailments so I've heard :D
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hope you're feeling better now x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Hi Goldie

Hope you are feeling better

I had exactly the same thing last Sunday. I felt ok when I fgot up, but then I suddenly developed a terrible headaceh, felt nauseaous and dizzy. When I lay down, the whole room was spinning, like I had drunk too much.

I did get better, but felt a bit rubbish for a couple of days.
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• Goldiegirl
    julliff wrote: »
    I felt ok when I fgot up, but then I suddenly developed a terrible headaceh, felt nauseaous and dizzy. When I lay down, the whole room was spinning, like I had drunk too much.

Fortunately, I didn't have the headache too, but the sickness and dizziness was exactly the same.

I haven't done much today and I do feel better now.

I enjoyed my chicken for lunch - we're having the rest tomorrow, and then on Tuesday I'll be making soup with the carcass, which will do for a couple of lunches.

I've managed 12 sales on eBay this weekend. Three were items listed for the first time last weekend, the rest were from re-lists. But I did a lot of re-lists. It just shows that things do sell in the end, if you re-list often enough. But with all the changes, I'm going to give up the constant relisting.

I've had to cancel one sale already. It was collection only, and the person who bought it was in Cumbria, so that wasn't going to work. This was something I've been re-listing on and off for two years! I've decided to keep it after all that, I've actually got attached to it again!

I'm in the process of getting some things listed for the FLW, for 10 days, as next weekend we are going to Downton Abbey! It's a little coach trip. We are staying in a hotel in Newbury and will vist Highclere Castle, to give it its proper name, and also will go to Guildford on the way home

Horrible, dark, wet afternoon. It must be so disappointing for people who had plans for today.

On the plus side, a NSD
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Goldiegirl :hello:

I just subscribed and started reading your diary. I particularly like the way you are thinking about your budget. I'm going back to working part-time next year so I think this may be useful for us :)

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Goldiegirl
    Part time work has really worked well.

It's the luxury of having more time that I've really appreciated

I worked full time for ever, and managed to get everything done that I needed, but looking back, I think I must have been very focussed. I must admit, nowadays I do drift a bit, and get side-tracked, and sometimes it takes until mid-morning to really get started on something.

On the same subject, I've taken it quite easy today. I've done some tidying in the front garden. The man next door is retired, and his hobby is classic cars. So he's always out on his driveway tinkering with a car. As the front gardens are open plan, it means that I'm virtually standing next to him working on my garden, which I don't like! But he's gone out today, so I took my chance and did what I needed to do.

Will get a bit of ironing done later, and will also get a some more eBay listings up to make the most of the FLW
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Goldiegirl

I've just finished reading your thread. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. I just wanted to add that I'm an Essex girl too :rotfl: Although we only lived there a few months before moving away.

I hope you have a good week,

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback