The Big Adventure

Options

Comments

• Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Hope you feel much better now, have a good week and take care,

Squirrel x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better now Goldie and that you enjoyed your morning in the garden.

I'm London/ Kent borders too! And Essex is just a short drive away. It's a fab place for day trips and short breaks isn't it? We've been to Southend on Sea this weekend and had lovely trips to Cambridge, Brighton, Tunbridge Wells, Margate, Brogdale Collections and Whitstable as day trips that I can think of off the top of my head.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hello everyone. Yes, I'm feeling a lot better today thanks.

I've been very focused this morning, and have not got side tracked with my usual displacement activities, like the Internet, putting a few more pieces into my jigsaw, or reading just another chapter of my book.

As a result, my housework is done, my chicken soup is made, and my eBay parcels are posted. I still have one person who hasn't paid from the weekend, which is annoying, as it was the item which sold for the highest price. Maybe there's a bit of buyer remorse going on there.

Therefore I'm free to do what I want this afternoon. I'd quite like to go for a walk, but it is very dull, and looks like rain. So I might try and get an old computer screen photoed for eBay sale and a description written. But the light is so bad for photos, I might just read, surf the Internet and do my jigsaw.

Mouche, Southend was the number place for a seaside day out during my Essex childhood.i haven't been there for years, but have fond memories. Hope you enjoyed your outing there

Nowadays, Margate is an easy day trip for us, and I want to go again soon to look at the Turner Contemporary. But when I was a small child, my parents and I used to go to Margate for our weeks holiday. On the train to Tilbury Riverside, cross the Thames on the Tilbury Ferry. And back on the train down to Margate. I loved the whole journey, and playing on the beach and riding the donkeys. Happy days!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Things to do today

Do a small bit of shopping - what with going away this weekend, I should be able to go until the following weekend before doing a big shop

Bread making - a loaf to get us to Friday and rolls in the freezer for when we get back.

Washing - so there's not too much after the weekend.

Get clothes out ready for packing. We want to travel fairly lightly, so need to check weather forecast - I don't think it's too promising:(

We are 'eating out of the freezer' at the moment, so not much in the way of cooking is being done, but will soon have to start replenishing meals etc.
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Everything achieved today, plus a couple of bonus items - a tile straightened on the roof and a coat of wood stain put on the garden bench, both courtesy of Mr G.

I was having a think today. I used to be Mrs Memory Woman, but now my memory is like a sieve - I put it down to being a woman of a certain age! I need to write everything down these days, so in the interests of efficiency I'm starting a house diary. It'll have all the normal things in like appointments and activities, but it'll also be good for menu planning, which I'll be starting in May, plus things I need to put on the shopping lists, other things to do or to be reminded about.

I had wondered whether to use my iPad for this, but think old fashioned pen and paper will be best for this. I'll have it by my side all the time, so as soon as I think of something it can be jotted down. Mr G has an unused A4 diary at work which he'll bring home, so I'm going to use that.

Well, Wednesday evening again, which is the equivalent of Sunday evening to most people.

Just two days to get through, then we're away for the weekend. Also, I have next Thursday and Friday off as holiday, so with my working pattern, it'll mean I'll finish on Friday 25th, and my next day at work will be 8th May.

I don't hate the job or anything, in fact once I'm there I often enjoy it, if the day isn't too busy, which is stressful. It's just that I can't really be bothered with it anymore. Ah well, needs must and all that!
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Hi GG,

I am so glad you started a diary :T Your posts are really thought provoking and inspiring me to really remember to try and live on less - i do ok most of the time but i think its hard working full-time with a big commute and being tired and thinking 'well that'll be a nice treat for tea' :o We'll still have treats but ideally more affordable ones ;)

Have a fabulous holiday :D I know you mentioned your love of cruises and we are going on one this year :)

Well done on achieving all of your jobs today too :T

With the bay of e i have been buying packaging for a while now - i know its not suitable for awkward stuff but i just look in the shops where everything is £1 and get 4-6 good size packaging which will do alot of my clothes and things - it has made packaging much quicker and easier.

I too am wondering what the changes will bring next month :think: i am optimistically hoping for a couple of flw - maybe one at the start of the month before the changes happen. If not it will certainly reduce the amount of listings i do as alot of my stuff sells either 1st listing or after several re-lists :cool:

I had thought i had decluttered everything but i am embracing having less and less - although some things i am listing i would happily keep so they will only go if sold at the right price ;)

Have alovely holiday :D
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    I love having less stuff too... I know where absolutely everything is in the house and can find anything in a moment. Great. And if you can sell your clutter, so much the better!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    DFWOhh, another cruiser:T

I'm so glad I discovered cruising. I enjoy the shipboard life, and the opportunities to see so many different places.

We tend to book up quite a long way in advance, but maybe soon, we'll be able to take advantage of late availability deals. But I must admit, I like to be sure of getting the cabin I want and the dining arrangements that I want, so I have a suspicion we'll still book early.

This year we are doing something slightly different. In July we're doing a River cruise in Europe. But it's back to the sea in December, for a week at Christmas.

The cruising is one reason I want to live modestly most of the rest of the time, as I want to make sure I can put money aside for cruises.

I hope you enjoy your cruise

Oh and eBay is a great place to buy posh frocks !

You mentioned packaging - I have a range of mailing bags and padded envelopes, but I'm always on the look out for boxes and bubble wrap. I quite often go to work to find packaging on my desk that someone has salvaged for me!

I'm so glad I started the decluttering...... I dread to think how much stuff would be in house otherwise!

Squirrel it's amazing what clutter will sell. I sold an old key I found in my mum's belongings, for a very good price. So I then tried modern keys, I think from our previous house, and from our old doors at this house, and they sold for a good price too. It never ceases to amaze me what can be sold..... But on the other hand there's things I think that are nice that never even get a watcher.
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GG! You are the perfect person to advise me. My OH is 40 in November. When I asked him what he would like to celebrate this milestone - fully expecting him to say a big party with all his friends (because normally I don't like big parties) - he surprised me by saying he would like to go on a cruise because we never have before.

A quick look online tells me most of the exciting cruises leave from the US and flights there are beyond our budget this year. So we would need to go from the UK and/ or Europe. We decided to take a shorter cruise this year (max 5 nights) partly because we're not sure if we and LO will like it and partly due to extreme crunch on annual leave. If we enjoy it, we'll plan a bigger one in a couple of years and save towards it.

Now I know very little about cruising so would really appreciate any advice you could give me given that:

1) We will be travelling with a 2.5 year old
    2) We would like to travel in November ideally but Sep/ Oct will also be ok
    3) We don't have a fortune to spend - ideally not more than £1,000 for all of us (as I guess there will be additional expenses for excursions, food etc.?)

What would you and all your cruise-going friends (DFW that means you!) suggest?
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • Goldiegirl
    Options
    Oh dear, today didn't quite turn out as it should have done.

I mentioned earlier that I've been having a few ear problems, so I've been olive oil dropping and Olbas Oil steaming, and it has been a help.

Just after lunch today, I took a phone call at work, and just as I leant to put the receiver back, I was dizzy for a moment, and there was a sort of movement in my ear, with some scrunching noises, and then I had the worse tinnitus ever - it sounded like a vacuum cleaner in my head!

I think the oil must be doing the trick, softening up all the wax (yuck) and it moved a bit

I phoned the doctor, and have got an appointment for tomorrow morning. I think I'll only be looked at, as it's the nurse that does the syringing. Fortunately, the worst of the noise has now faded - I've still got noises going on but it is at a manageable level.

I have to say, my manager has been fantastic about this - she said I could go straight home if I wanted. although I did stay until 4pm.

I'm just hoping I'll be ok for my weekend away - if the noises stay as they are at the moment, I can cope, but not with the vacuuming noises. But at least I've got the ball rolling to get this sorted out. I'm borderline phobic about medical things, so I tend to try to avoid the doctors if I can.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport