The Big Adventure

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Just make sure it lasts another 33 years :naughty:

When I bought it, I thought to myself I probably won't need another peg bag ...ever. In 33 years time I'll be 87, and probably be beyond caring about pegs ! :rotfl:

Today was a working day, and wasn't too bad. The working month is peaks and troughs. It starts to get busy from around the 18th onwards, as our customers start to pay their employees ( I work for a very small bank) builds to a frenzy as the month ends, and the 1st of the month is completely mad, and they all have direct debits going out and payments coming in. Then it quietens down a bit.

Although tomorrow is likely to be busy as we have two people on holiday

It was a NSD - working days are good for NSD's as I don't have a moment to think about spending money.

On the money front, we had our water bill in. We switched to a water meter some years ago and this has saved us a lot of money. Our water consumption has dropped a bit this half year.

Since January, I've only been doing a full load of washing, which was a measure to lower the electric bill, but has helped with the water too. Also, our loo needed a new syphon just after Christmas. It's one with a 'half flush' which we use ( when appropriate!!!), so that's helped reduce the consumption too.

A nice surprise, as I wasn't even thinking about how to reduce the water bill!

I'm off to put my feet up now, I never post much on a Thursday or Friday, as I'm not in a fit state after work!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • LauraJo
    LauraJo Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aw I love blue water. I go there for a bday treat! You were v good considering all the temptation!!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... £170k today £1.5k
    Savings: £3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
  • Goldiegirl
    LauraJo wrote: »
    Aw I love blue water. I go there for a bday treat! You were v good considering all the temptation!!

Yes, Bluewater is great. We used to go to Lakeside, but since Bluewater opened, I don't think we'd been over there at all. We tried Westfield at Stratford, but it is way too busy for my liking - at any time of the day or night it seems to be heaving with people.

I logged into my online banking this evening, as I'm doing the Virtual Sealed Pot challenge - a sort of Tilly Tidy for savings.

I was shocked to see an unexpected credit in there, for a reasonable sum of money I thought there had been a mistake, but then I realised it was my annual interest from my fixed rate savings account.

So that was a pleasant surprise. I don't know where I'm going to put it yet, I'll have to have a think, but I feel really tired after work, so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Another NSD, but that is normal for a working day.
  • Goldiegirl
    We've just managed to spend the best part of £90 this morning.

Dobbies (the garden centre) have a 20% off promotion for card holders, so we bought some of the things we needed.

Then we went to M&S, and did some food shopping. I like to have some M&S food for Sunday lunch, so once a month we get 4 weeks worth of Sunday lunches. We also got some Easter eggs too, simply because I couldn't be bothered to go anywhere else for them!

I did see a top that I liked too, but it wasn't in my size, otherwise I'd have bought that too.

So within an hour we were £90 down, and not much to show for it really - it just seemed like mindless spending. But I do enjoy my M&S Sunday lunch, so I can't really complain!

I'm having a few ear problems at the moment. My right ear seems to be very blocked with wax (yuck). I've tried some peroxide based ear drops which have helped, but I still feel muffled. I'm going to order an olive oil based spray (apparently less messy than ear drops), which is supposed to be good.

The muffled feeling is worse in the mornings, and it's all a bit frustrating really. I don't really want to go for syringing, as it gives me tinnitus. I hope the new ear drops will help
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Cheers for the heads up on Dobbies, have let the inlaws know. ;)

Ears! I get this all the time thanks to needing to wear ear plugs (for Mr M's snoring!). I use olive oil drops which really help, but I also find that doing a face steam over a bowl of hot water with a towel, and using two drops of Olbas oil in the water really helps clear things as well.
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Goldiegirl
    I'm going to order my olive oil spray from eBay or Amazon tomorrow - I think I'll order some Olbas too and give that a try as well. Anything that might help would be welcome.

By this time of the day, my ears feel better, as I've been moving around all day, but I still don't hear as well as I should in my right ear. It's much worse in the morning, and Mr Goldie is very quietly spoken, so I can't hear what he says most of the time. I've told him he needs to look at me and speak up, instead of muttering into his boots! :rotfl:

I've spent most of the afternoon on the Bay of E

I joined about 5 years ago, and have been gradually de-cluttering the house over that time.

Apart from my own de-cluttering, I'm also eBaying on behalf of a friend who is clearing her own belongings. We go 50/50 on the proceeds, although I pay the fees out of my half. She has shopaholic tendencies, so she has some very nice stuff.

My house isn't too cluttered at all now, and I'm making inroads into the loft. Most of the things left in the loft are larger items, so progress is slower now.

I'm also trying to clear our old LP collection and an old postcard collection.

I've sold 13 things today, and two more will go tomorrow. All the listing and packing takes some time, and it can take up quite a bit of the weekend.

In the week I had an email telling me that I'd get 20 free listings a month, for any starting price. However, they are taking away the 100 free 99p start auctions.

This means I'll have to rethink my eBaying, as those 99p starts are really handy for relisting, until something sells.

If something doesn't sell after two or three listings, I'll put them into a bulk lot in future.

It'd be nice to finish doing the loft by the end of the year, then that'd mean I could start on the garage and shed. (it's amazing how 'stuff' can build up).

I got some LP's out of the loft this afternoon, so will start prepping them for sale, but will start tomorrow. I need a break now.
  • Hi Goldiegirl, really enjoying your diary :T

We are hoping to get our mortgage paid off the next year or two, we are late thirties and have two young children to plan for, but are already thinking long term and aiming for early retirement. So it's really interesting to read the thoughts of someone beyond the MF hurdle IYKWIM! The question of what to do with the extra money when that's achieved and how to make it work best for us is very much on our minds atm...

I didn't know about to changes to eBay listings policy till I read your diary, I too found the 99p starts useful for kids t-shirts etc, but the 20 listings with unlimited start prices will mean I'm not as distracted by FLW I suppose!

I've subscribed and look forward to watching your journey xx
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ohhhh.... I didn't read the ebay email thoroughly :( - I hadn' t realised that the 20 free listings meant that they were doing away with the 99p free listings :( I'll have to get a wiggle on and get some 99p things on there!!

I'm now wondering if there are also going to do less FLW with this 20 free listings policy...?

Hello, GoldieG! Welcome to the MFW boards - I like the ideas you have for retirement - and I think it's great to practice living on a reduced budget already :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Goldiegirl
    Thanks for dropping by RoaringTwenties and greent
    We are hoping to get our mortgage paid off the next year or two, we are late thirties and have two young children to plan for, but are already thinking long term and aiming for early retirement. So it's really interesting to read the thoughts of someone beyond the MF hurdle IYKWIM! The question of what to do with the extra money when that's achieved and how to make it work best for us is very much on our minds atm...
    In retrospect, I wish I'd paid off my mortgage earlier than I did.

We had our first mortgage in 1981 for £21,500, and the mortgage for this house in 1989, for £82,500. For the standards of the day these were considered to be huge mortgages.

However, I was lucky in that I worked for a big mortgage lender, so I got staff rates on part of these mortgages. But, at the time, the monthly payments were a big chunk of our income, and also had to pay more tax, as the staff mortgage was a taxable benefit.

I don't think it ever occurred to me to make overpayments, maybe because I worked with mortgages, I was comfortable having one myself.

But we didn't have further advances, we did our home improvements from money we saved up.

Most of the mortgage was paid off in 2006 when the endowment policies matured, but I then took a small further advance to re do the driveway - but by that time the interest rate was very low indeed, and the monthly payment was tiny.

I finally paid off the mortgage in full in 2011. It was a very small balance, and by that time I had been made redundant, and they kept on messing up the admin of the mortgage, so I just got fed up and paid it off.

In the past I've saved in until trusts..... and I did buy my previous employers shares in various staff schemes. That proved to be a big mistake, as we all know what happened to bank shares. In view of that, I keep all my savings in cash deposits at the moment. Low returns, but low risk. At this stage in the game I don't want to expose myself to losses.
  • Goldiegirl
    greent wrote: »
    Ohhhh.... I didn't read the ebay email thoroughly :( - I hadn' t realised that the 20 free listings meant that they were doing away with the 99p free listings :( I'll have to get a wiggle on and get some 99p things on there!!

I'm now wondering if there are also going to do less FLW with this 20 free listings policy...?

I must admit, this weekend I've had a 99p re-listing frenzy. If everything listed sold, I'll be spending all Easter packing parcels.

I hope they keep the FLWs, as it'll take for ever to sell the things I want to rehome at the rate of 20 listings a month!

I'm going to carry on selling the things currently have to sell, but long term, the removal of the 99p listings, together with the Final Value Fees on the postage will mean I will do less eBaying.

Over the last 18 months, Ebaying seems to have taken over most weekends. I need a break from it, and these latest developments will give me the push I need to put eBay on the back burner

On that note, I've just sold a couple of jigsaws, so I just need to get them parcelled up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport