No buying unnecessary toiletries April 2014

Options

Comments

• tiffanyjayne_2
    Options
    Nelly11 wrote: »
    I shall compile a list over the weekend, I had a look last night and have product unopened from 4 christmases ago and some Chanel body cream that has lasted longer than my marriage! I save it because I think its all for best and should just be using it as a treat every day.

Make everyday a best day or one day you'll come to use it and it'll be off and you'll of never enjoyed it :) that way when your working your way through the cheaper stuff your saving for another expensive one for a whole new set of 'best' days :)
  • strandedinaber
    Options
    Does anyone else get to the stage where you just want to throw it all away and start again? I've got so many things I know I won't use - cheap nail polishes I've used once, a few bath things etc - but they never seem to go on swaps (I can't even give them away and Lord knows I've tried!) and charity shops won't take them. But then equally the stubborn side of me thinks that chucking them out would be 'giving in' or admitting defeat somehow! So not really sure what else I can do with them other than have them sitting in the stash for years...

I have actually just done that. Over the past few months I have been trying to find some makeup which works for me, after years of wasting money on makeup which looks terrible. I've finally found some which works (and I am over the moon about it!) but still had some of the last lot left over. As another friend had been contemplating trying mineral makeup, I passed it on to her to test and see what she thinks. I didn't see any point in using up makeup which doesn't work for me just for the sake of it. I just need to not go overboard with the new permament makeup make now!!
    Novuna personal finance 0% 4-year £518/£1866
    M&S credit card 0% 18 months £413.12/£4216.58
  • strandedinaber
    Options
    VALM wrote: »
    Welcome. If I were you I'd look through your make up and see what items you really don't like using before repurchasing and replacing with Bare Minerals.

Thank you! I ended up doing just that and have realised just how small my stash is. I have three eyeshadows at the end of their lifespan, one eyeliner and one mascara. All about five years old because they don't suit me and therefore I don't wear them. I already have the new BM foundation, blush etc which I LOVE and have donated on the makeup which doesn't work for me (I am naturally pale, 1/4 Indian with sensitive skin... trying to find makeup that works for me is an absolute pain in the neck). Am going to "splurge" on a new eyeliner and eyeshadow for BM and leave it two months. If I find I actually wear it then I might consider buying it in another shade. I am so not good with this makeup stuff, lol, but it's becoming increasingly important for work so I should really do something about it.
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I know a lot of people love it but I don't like BareMinerals! I got a 'value' set a while ago, gave the lip gloss away as it was too pale, didn't think the primer was anything to shout about and the foundation went orange within a couple of months :mad:

I still have the blush which I can use but only very sparingly as it's very pink, I was also sent a mineral veil to test from Boots which might be ok in a darker shade but the original shade one is far too pale and made me look ghostly, I also found it rather drying.

Coupled with the fact I am no keen on loose powders due to them going EVERYWHERE, I won't be buying the brand again!
    adilade wrote: »
    That sounds awful! This is precisely why I hate the bus but unfortunately I'm stuck on them for at least another 11 months. I'm on min wage so there's no way I can afford a car, £3000 for insurance, petrol, road tax and the extortionate £2.10 per day to use the staff car park:eek: I passed my test a year ago this month and haven't driven since the day of my test..*sigh*

I hope you get your car back soon!

Did you mean £3000 for insurance?! :eek: £2.10 a day isn't much is it? A lot of places around here are so stingy parking wise that you have to use the council places and they cost a LOT more than that!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • luvlycake
    luvlycake Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    63 - UUneal's yard soothing star flower cleansing milk sample - really lovely creamy fresh cleanser. WBA.
    64 - rimmel bb cream matte in light, sample - a little orangey but actually quite nice. Might buy, but probably not. Lol.
    Cookie, I think you're tame. :heart2:

No buying unnecessary toiletries in 2014 challenge
    2013 Out: 307; In: 38 2014 Out: 100; In; 8

themagpiesdaughter.co.uk
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    asset - surely the JC can't tell you can't have a couple of days away, everyone deserves a break whatever their circumstances.

Kadison - you poor thing, what a nightmare. The language of people on buses is appalling, the bus should stop and they should be removed then maybe people would get the message that bad language in public is not acceptable.

I have uu

Elemis Skin Nourishing Milk Bath 400ml, I have two more this size in the stash from very generous GWP.

Decleor Clay & Herbal Mask - 50ml, WBA and have already replaced it with a 200ml size which will last me forever as this 50ml tube has been on the go for 2 years. It makes my skin very soft, and it draws bumps to the surface but not in a dramatic breakout type of way and it smells lovely too. I do have other face masks which need using before I open this though.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • strandedinaber
    Options
    Yep, I think BM is like Marmite - you love it or hate it! Can't say whether the foundation will turn orange (I sooooo hope not!) but I love the powder. I mostly love it because it actually works with my skin tone and pretty much all other foundations (powder or liquid) either make me look white or orange, lol. Like kadison though I am not convinced on the primer.

3,000 for insurance sounds ridiculous!! Staff car parking is £3 a day at my work though :(
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm going to start using up my make up this weekend, I just don't get up in time to do it during the week. As well as deodorant, I may need razors (I just use cheap disposable ones) and may need foundation at some point.

Thinking of either Estee Lauder Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup for Face and Body SPF 15 30ml or No7 Beautifully Matte Mousse

Have used the No7 Mousse before and liked it. I have been using Vichy Dermablend for a while because my skin is so bad and I need max coverage/ camouflage style make up.
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm wading through my stash as I type. It's a bit like christmas - so much I forgot I had!! Throwing away a couple of things as I go.
    Anyway up to item 118 and loads to go.:embarasse

Think I will start a pot and £1 for every week I don't buy anything, £1 for hair & body UU plus £2 for cosmetics and skin care. Think I might ebay a few bits and then add the money to the pot. Then when it's time to replace stuff it'll be the premium brands I love only :)

Anyone got any advice for me? Didn't think this could be so much fun!!! Thank you so much for letting me join- without going on v sore from op & stuck at home and really needed cheering up.

Wonder if there's a similar thread for clothes & shoes? (And handbags and jewellry..... :D
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :j:APs deodorant doesn't count right? Just like tights are not counted as buying clothes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure