help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    So we really do need to get this money back from UWP.

True - for those affected.

More generally, though, we really do need to get rid of the Conservative government that, since it took power in 2010, has created the local authority underfunding situation that's causing so many care homes to have to close down.

They first managed to close down almost all of the excellent care homes previously run by local authoritities - and now they're equally successfully managing to close down the privately owned ones that replaced them because they can't survive on what they're being paid.

Not a problem for wealthy Conservative politicians, of course, or the wealthy - they have all the money they need to pay for expensive care homes.

A big problem for ordinary people, though - once their house has been sold to pay for their care and the local authority takes over the finance, they're being dumped to die in wholly inadequate homes, often hundreds of miles away from their families.

It's a cruel, uncaring society that Cameron and May have created.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    the wealthy - they have all the money they need to pay for expensive care homes.
    Except they want me, and hard working taxpayers who will never afford their own home, to pay for them so they can inherit a property they have not earned. Or in this case the con men from UWP can run off with it?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A big problem for ordinary people, though - once their house has been sold to pay for their care and the local authority takes over the finance, they're being dumped to die in wholly inadequate homes, often hundreds of miles away from their families.

Anyone who is self funding has the choice of where they receive their care, and the LA will only need to take over their finances if no one else is available or they have children who can’t be arsed to help.

Getting you LPAs in place while you have the capacity to do so, will avoid your family needing to go to court to get deputyship, or risk your finances being dealt with by a 3rd party.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Except they want me, and hard working taxpayers who will never afford their own home, to pay for them so they can inherit a property they have not earned. Or in this case the con men from UWP can run off with it?

They would be bonkers to do that. We are in the fortunate position to be able to fund our own care should it be needed, and there is no way we are going to be sticking any assets away in trusts and lose our ability to choose where and who provides our care.

Throughout life we strive to do the best we can for ourselves, why should people approaching their end days, suddenly think it is good idea to live like penniless pensioner. One of the goals of building up assets over a lifetime, is to make sure you have comfort and security in your old age.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    They would be bonkers to do that. We are in the fortunate position to be able to fund our own care should it be needed, and there is no way we are going to be sticking any assets away in trusts and lose our ability to choose where and who provides our care.

Absolutely :T
    Even worse than that, with care home places so limited, those who can pay for care are taking places away from those who can't. :(
    Usually so their uncaring offfspring can inherit a second property they have not earned. :mad:
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Anyone who is self funding has the choice of where they receive their care, and the LA will only need to take over their finances if no one else is available or they have children who can’t be arsed to help.

Getting you LPAs in place while you have the capacity to do so, will avoid your family needing to go to court to get deputyship, or risk your finances being dealt with by a 3rd party.

The point is, though, that once your own funds are exhausted (including the house that’s been sold) you’re entirely reliant on your relatives to pay the £1000 a week (or whatever) needed to fund your care.

Few children are in a position to provide the sort of financial help that’s required, even for top ups, and if you end up being funded by the local authority after you’ve exhausted your assets you’re going to have, probably, a pretty unpleasant end to your life.

Very few people can claim to be immune to this. Even those with large amounts of capital are finding that their funds are running out before they do, and ending up being dumped by the local authority into a cheaper place a long way from their family. £50,000 a year for an indeterminate period requires a great deal of capital and not all self-funders have that, even with a house. Funds run out frequently and that’s when the serious problems start.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    The point is, though, that once your own funds are exhausted (including the house that’s been sold) you’re entirely reliant on your relatives to pay the £1000 a week (or whatever) needed to fund your care.

Few children are in a position to provide the sort of financial help that’s required, even for top ups, and if you end up being funded by the local authority after you’ve exhausted your assets you’re going to have, probably, a pretty unpleasant end to your life.

Very few people can claim to be immune to this. Even those with large amounts of capital are finding that their funds are running out before they do, and ending up being dumped by the local authority into a cheaper place a long way from their family. £50,000 a year for an indeterminate period requires a great deal of capital and not all self-funders have that, even with a house. Funds run out frequently and that’s when the serious problems start.

If your funds are likely to run out reasonably quickly you need to chose very carefully. It would not for instance be a good idea to use a home that took self funders only as that would lead eventually to a move to somewhere very different.

The other problem with relying on the house to pay your care, is that it only works if the other is already in care or has died. Ideally you need sufficient savings and income set by to enable one to remain in the family home and allow the other to have the the care they need either at home or in residential care.

We have ringfenced some savings to allow that to happen, if not required then it will be a bonus for our children.
  • Barker_Gotelee
    Barker_Gotelee Posts: 7 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Dear All

This thread has turned into a bit of a discussion on care home fees. With this in mind, I attach a link to a blog I wrote about a year and a half ago (the position has not changed) on care home fees to give a bit more information.

https://www.barkergotelee.co.uk/the-cost-of-care/

Regarding Universal, advice remains the same - to seek the advice of a regulated solicitors firm.

In the majority of cases, people can secure their properties relatively easily and remove these from the control of Universal and associated parties.

Kind regards

Becky
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Barker Gotelee. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Dear All

This thread has turned into a bit of a discussion on care home fees. With this in mind, I attach a link to a blog I wrote about a year and a half ago (the position has not changed) on care home fees to give a bit more information.

https://www.barkergotelee.co.uk/the-cost-of-care/

Regarding Universal, advice remains the same - to seek the advice of a regulated solicitors firm.

In the majority of cases, people can secure their properties relatively easily and remove these from the control of Universal and associated parties.

Kind regards

Becky

Good link.
    Unlike UWP, it doesn't promise to hide assets so people can plead poverty and claim benefits.
    Explains why people chose to go to a bunch of con men instead of a solicitor - because the con men were offering something a solicitor wouldn't.
    There is a lesson there somewhere.
  • bank_leper
    bank_leper Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2018 at 8:03PM
    Options
    No. I think its wrong to bung their mothers in a cheap care home at other people's expense, so they can inherit assets they have not earned. Evading care home fees was at the forefront of UWP sales pitch.
    I'm dot defending UWP either. I would like to see the money returned and used to pay their own care home fees in nice care homes of their own choice. So I think I'm still on the same side as you.

My Dad worked hard to better himself and get away from living on the state. He spent years working to make sure that he bought his own home, to ensure that my siblings and I weren!!!8217;t left with huge debts when he died. When my Mum died he and my step Mum (who had done similar) wanted nothing but to protect their joint families. They weren!!!8217;t doing it to avoid care home fees. They were making sure that any future spouse couldn!!!8217;t swoop in and con the family out of the money they had worked hard for. There were contingencies to pay for care should it be needed so it didn!!!8217;t impact on us. They trusted the Longs.

All our parents are now dead.

We only want back the rights to money which was being held in trust for us as it wasn!!!8217;t needed for care homes. We want the clause put on the property without our knowledge removed.

I don!!!8217;t think this is too much to ask.

We have lost 4 very much loved parents (own, plus step parents) and the grief of that alone was hard enough to bear. To now discover that everything our parents worked hard for could be gone is unbearable.

I don!!!8217;t actually care that much about the money, my Dad taught me good work ethic. I had no handouts from him, he helped me occasionally but I had to pay him back.

It!!!8217;s the principle. These ******** poached a fake lifestyle from hard working elderly people. That!!!8217;s what I can!!!8217;t abide. They are no better than scum who break into old people!!!8217;s homes, beat them and steak their savings.

And that!!!8217;s why I am passionately hoping that Steven and Melanie Long, and anyone connected them get their come uppance and suffer slowly, painfully and for a very long time. They are nothing but scum. They have caused injury and upset to customers, they have abused innocent staff who worked for them leaving them out of pocket and struggling financially.

And as for why not just go to a solicitor to arrange the same, they tried it ... solicitors told them to put it in a trust fund! ...! Yeah thanks for that advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure