Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Options

Comments

• aaroncaz
    aaroncaz Posts: 5,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, and depending on the flight it will be £5 or £10 per person. :mad:

Thanks, I presume I can pay for them at any time, not just check in?
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, and depending on the flight it will be £5 or £10 per person. :mad:

It's £5 or £10 per person each way. So will add £10 or £20 per person to a return flight.
  • catwoman73
    catwoman73 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    It's £5 or £10 per person each way. So will add £10 or £20 per person to a return flight.

I would hope that you don't have to pay to check in on the outbound flight, assuming that you can check in at home fewer than 7 days prior to the flight? Although I suppose that there is a risk that you can't sit with the rest of your party, which may be a concern when travelling with children.

Although on a recent flight, DP and I were allocated non-adjacent seats by Jet2 (they wouldn't to offer adjacent seating during online check in unless you paid their 'choose your seat' fee. I felt quite able to sit separately from him for a couple of hours, so decided not to pay. When we got to the bag drop at the airport, they said 'Oh, you are not sat together, lets change that for you, and they did, without charge and we got to sit together on the flight).

Ryanair have always made a big thing about being a 'point to point airline', ie they have sold you two single tickets, there and back, that are not connected and they aren't interested if your outbound flight is delayed and makes it not worth going - eg if you are going for a weekend break or day trip somewhere - if the outbound flight is cancelled, they will compensate you for that, but they won't compensate you for the return journey if you don't travel and that flight goes OK. So in that sense, I can't see them being able to justify having to check in for both flights at the same time and making the same seat choosing charges. [STRIKE]although this is Ryanair we are talking about[/STRIKE].
  • CommitedToChange
    Options

Good point - although I suspect most people will only pay for the return journey to save the hassle of having to find somewhere to print off their boarding cards while on holiday. Which I sure if what they planned when they introduced the 7 day time frame.

And yes I know it's probably easy to find somewhere to do it - BUT - it does add an element of stress. I prefer to have everything done before I go as I'm sure a lot of other people do.

I'll be checking in tomorrow btw so will report back if I have any issues. I have to check in for my return on holiday - I will not pay Ryanair another penny more. :mad:
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good point - although I suspect most people will only pay for the return journey to save the hassle of having to find somewhere to print off their boarding cards while on holiday. Which I sure if what they planned when they introduced the 7 day time frame.

And yes I know it's probably easy to find somewhere to do it - BUT - it does add an element of stress. I prefer to have everything done before I go as I'm sure a lot of other people do.

I'll be checking in tomorrow btw so will report back if I have any issues. I have to check in for my return on holiday - I will not pay Ryanair another penny more. :mad:

Don't blame you. Many customers will share your annoyance about this.

What makes me laugh is that Ryanair are calling this 7 day check in rule part of their customer service improvements!

I can only imagine how many previously loyal customers they will lose because of it.
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Well my check in for my flight out went ok - yes I check in at 00.30 on the first day I could. Mainly because I'm so excited about my holiday :D

The annoyance was I got a middle seat - which I hate but it's only an hour flight.

I wonder if I had cancelled before I confirmed - could I keep trying to check in every hour or so to see if I get a better seat?

Might try that for the return journey :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Begorrah! Maybe O'Sleary thought no one would never notice?
    The man maintains his 'PR Disaster' accolade.
    How long before an internal coup finishes him off?

Yeah,right.
    The man who has created one of the most successful airlines in the world which carries 81.5 million passengers a year and has consistently delivered excellent returns for its shareholders.
    And a few disgruntled people on here who want to fly Ryanair because they're cheaper than anyone else but can't be arsed to find an internet cafe/hotel computer to check in online and print off their return tickets.
    I'm sure multi-millionaire,successful race-horse owner and serial entrepreneur Michael O'Leary is having sleepless nights.
    Get over it. Ryanair is a success because it delivers cheap,on-time flights in a modern fleet enjoyed by people across Europe.
    If you don't like their T&Cs fly with someone else.;)
  • SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 971 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can only imagine how many previously loyal customers they will lose because of it.

I am guessing at zero. They've made it quite easy to avoid paying for seat allocation, giving a 7 day window. A loyal customer base was built when the hurdles were greater, especially in relation to payment methods and baggage rules.
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't blame you. Many customers will share your annoyance about this.

What makes me laugh is that Ryanair are calling this 7 day check in rule part of their customer service improvements!

That's right. The other annoyances/rules that charged you more were avoidable by accepting them and working around them. This 7 day rule is not. #1, I don't want an allocated seat. #2 I certainly don't want to be forced to have it and be charged for it, or else you can't check in. How ludicrous! And I'm a Ryanair fan.

But once again the whiter than white smart !!!!!! (above) come out in their droves, trolling away about people being too lazy (!) to find a internet cafe on holiday. These people make these forums an unpleasant place to use as they offer no help and seem to exist here only to argue and run people down because they couldn't possibly ever be effected by whatever problem the thread is about.

For the record, where I am going on holiday I've never seen even of these cafes. Wifi and internet is common now, but printers are not...
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

LOL, I can and it won't be many :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport