Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Options

Comments

• NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Not one person has been able to point to a Ryanair destination where it would not be possible to find an internet cafe or hotel with printing facilities.
    You are making a false assumption that such facilities would be free of charge and easy to find; they often are not. This requirement adds unnecessary stress for passengers.

Why, when most airlines operate mobile boarding passes in addition to paper boarding passes, does Ryanair still insist on physical paper boarding passes? This is bad for the environment and onerous on passengers who do not have access to printers. Ryanair was supposed to introduced mobile boarding passes on 1st April 2014, but its iPhone app remains broken.
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    You are making a false assumption that such facilities would be free of charge and easy to find; they often are not. This requirement adds unnecessary stress for passengers.

Why, when most airlines operate mobile boarding passes in addition to paper boarding passes, does Ryanair still insist on physical paper boarding passes? This is bad for the environment and onerous on passengers who do not have access to printers. Ryanair was supposed to introduced mobile boarding passes on 1st April 2014, but its iPhone app remains broken.

Without knowing your mobile tariff, I'd guess that logging on the Ryanair's check-in system whilst abroad would cost a hell of a lot more in roaming charges that 10mins on a hotel printer.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 April 2014 at 9:21PM
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »

I have to say I'm amazed so many people still fly with them - I can only imagine they haven't had their turn at being stitched up by them yet. There's no lonelier feeling than needing help at a RyanAir customer services desk

Well there's you making this argument and then there's Ryanair.

Which says " We own Europe’s largest fleet of Boeing 737-800 Aircraft – currently 303, with 175 more on order – which operate over 1,600 flights every day, across 1,600 routes, from 57 bases, connecting 180 destinations in 29 different countries where our team of over 9,000 skilled professionals help get our 81.5 million passengers where they need to go – and safely, with our exemplary 29 year safety record. "

Gotta say it's a bit of a non-brainer when it comes to who is right.

You're welcome to dispute their facts but think about it.

81.5 MILLION.

Then there's you.

Taxi for Paddyrg
    ;)
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without knowing your mobile tariff, I'd guess that logging on the Ryanair's check-in system whilst abroad would cost a hell of a lot more in roaming charges that 10mins on a hotel printer.
    You are assuming that I would use my UK SIM card outside the UK, which I never do. I always use a SIM card from the visited country, which is often much cheaper than domestic UK usage, let alone unreasonable roaming charges. In any case, nearly all passengers would have access to wifi via their mobile at some point within 7 days of their return flight. You can't deny that free wifi is a lot more prevalent than free printers.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we stay in apartments and they offer a boarding pass printing facility for 20c as I'm sure many other places do. They can't possibly keep tabs on all residents, so probably worth asking at similar places where you are staying.
  • devon123
    devon123 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Is anyone flying with Ryanair in the next couple of days?

I've entered all of our details and have tried to check-in online. It works for the outward flight, but when I try to click on 'check-in later' for our return flight (as I was intending to print the boarding passes from an internet cafe whilst away), the screen freezes for ages and then comes up with an error message.

This means that I can not even print out my outward boarding passes as the system will not allow me to progress to the printing out page without sorting out the return flight boarding passes first.

So, it looks like I will have to 50 quid for the pleasure because their booking system isn't working properly! I've been trying this over the last couple of days and it's the same each time - freezes for anything up to 20 minutes and then comes up with an error message.

Has anyone managed to get past this glitch? We fly tomorrow!

Thanks.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try checking in for outward flight and printing those passes. Then try for the return. If it's too far in advance that's why you will get the error.
  • devon123
    Options
    as I mentioned I tried that, it won't allow me to print the outward passes as I can't get to the printing screen at the end without sorting the return passes first (either by paying for them or by selecting check-in later).

I tried to select 'check in later' for the return flights and it doesn't work. It only works if you select to pay for the return flights now.
  • LisbonLaura
    LisbonLaura Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Royal1 wrote: »
    Here we go again with a new check-in proceedure designed to make online check-in even harder in the hope of being caught out and stung with their £70pp check in fee. I myself have been caught out with this for myself, husband and 2 children as we go to our vill for over 2 weeks and dont have internet access to check in for our return flight. We now use checkinpal.com they offere a free call back service for a start unlike the airlines at their premium rates. You take your travel dates and complete the whole check in process for you. They send us our boarding cards via international post to the villa for the return flight and by email for the outbound. This has solves many of our check in concerns.

Any more promos?
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k7354138-Ryanair_check_in_help_for_return_flight-Air_Travel.html
  • devon123
    Options
    Update:
    I have just spoken to their Customer Services team. They have said that there is a problem with the online booking system which is not allowing some customers to print off their boarding passes (outbound) if they attempt to opt 'check-in later' for their return flights.

They have said that they have added a note to my booking and that I need to get the Ryanair customer services desk to print my outbound boarding passes free of charge tomorrow when we get to the airport.

I will still need to print off my own return boarding passes (which is fine).

I must admit I'm not entirely sure I trust this advice, especially as the man refused to send me an email confirming this (apparently this is not company policy!!).

I don't have any choice at the moment though as now their whole online check-in system seems to be stuffed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure