Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Quick reminder to myself that Mother's Day is on the 30th of March. I might spend today making a card since I'm home alone, bored and feeling rough still.

Wonder what I can do for a cheap present? Hmm...

Actually, a work colleague just gave me a scarf she was given as a birthday pressie that she didn't like. Maybe my mum would like it? It's not my style but I was too polite to say so. Would that be bad, to recycle it again?
    recycle it-your mum might love it :)
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    recycle it-your mum might love it :)

Thanks Toomuch debt...you're right, she might. And I can also save on postage by going to visit her in a couple of weeks when I'm in the area anyway. She'll love that too and it's all good daughter brownie points for me!
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And talking of brownies bake her some to go with the scarf :)
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And talking of brownies bake her some to go with the scarf :)

Ooh, now you're talking, I could make some extra chocolatey ones as I seem to have tons of cocoa powder, not sure why.

Brilliant plan. Thanks!
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just checked my bank account and that expenses payment which took me way over my overdraft limit has just been bounced.

I rang the bank to find out what will happen. Apparently the cheque will be re-presented in a couple of days by which time my expenses should have gone in so it shouldn't bounce a second time.

If my expenses haven't gone in, I will need to withdraw cash from a CC to cover this. It really needs to be paid.

At the moment there is no fee for this whole disaster but according to the nice man I spoke to, if a charge appears I've to ring them up and they'll see what they can do.

Couple of things I've learned:
    • I need to get the expenses kitty topped back up to where it should be. I don't like this stress one bit and I will be mortified to face the man this cash is being paid to if he knows the cheque bounced.
    • A month ago I wouldn't even have noticed this happening and would have just let it all unfold without contacting the bank or trying to think of a plan.
    • It feels better to have a bit more control, even though this is a rubbish situation.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Wow Igamogam how super organised are you? That's impressive. I may adopt the envelope system for un-direct debited bills myself. Trouble with my budget is thatit's not quite adding up at the moment. Still, I'm getting there.

Not really - I could be/wish I was a bit more evangelical about it then I think the debt would go down a whole lot quicker! Another idea I pinched off the boards somewhere was having visual prompt that shows the debt going down - not just spreadsheet which is a bit dry and boring IMO and if truth be known I can use them but cant create the bl))dy things in the first place! No my debt is depicted in glorious squares - 100 of them which means each square represents 1% and when I have paid of the sum of XX which is 1% I get the crayons out and colour it in:p:rotfl:

Good idea re scarf. Hope you feel better soon
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Re the present, give the scarf to your mum. It's better that someone gets value from an item that cost money even if it wasn't yours. You can always add to it
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    No my debt is depicted in glorious squares - 100 of them which means each square represents 1% and when I have paid of the sum of XX which is 1% I get the crayons out and colour it in:p:rotfl:

That's just too cute, wee squares getting coloured in. I used to have those wee faces in my signature, one embarrassed one for every grand I had to pay off, ready to turn it into a smilie when each was paid off. Can't do that now my smilies don't work. :-(
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am coughing my guts up here today, feeling slightly better but the cough is bad.

Anyone know where I can get the cheapest cough medicine?
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Probably one of the supermarkets. But remember, all that does is help allay the symptom. Keep an eye on things and if it lingers, go to gp
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure