Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    in need of direction...yes I've pondered the car situation many, many times. I can easily get around here without it, I can walk to work although I'm expected to have a car at work for when I need to go out and visit clients. However, I could have a cheaper one. I drive a 4x4 (from my country living days when it was badly needed) and really, a wee 1L runaround would do the job just as well. But...I love my car!! I don't know what to do about this but will keep on thinking.

Buffy...the problem with cutting down payments to my mum is that I don't want her to know I'm in financial difficulty. I did something stupid and borrowed money from her to pay off 3 credit cards. 1 of them remains paid off and that account is closed. The other two got wracked up again. I'm living proof that consolidation is a bad, bad idea. If you don't learn the lessons then you'll end up in the same position again. I'll need to catch up on your diary. It's been ages.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I have some things that I want to sell. These are a lawnmower, 3 guitars, an amp and a violin.

I'm not sure whether to use gumtree, I've not had massive success with this site before but don't know what my other options might be.

I also have a really good quality carpet I'm not using but not sure whether anyone would buy something like this.

Hmm...

I don't like gumtree but do like preloved?

especially for the carpet and lawnmower. Volin.... music shop? but they might take commission. Ad in a music shop?

Xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I'm giving up on the silly font, this one is much clearer and easier to read.

My training course has massive expenses, £1200 per month. I can claim these back but they still need to be paid upfront.

So, I had a kitty of £1200 when I started. However, over Christmas my expenses were much less due to holidays. And of course that unused kitty got eaten into by the expense of the festivities (and my poor financial planning and general out-of-control-ness).

I now have £750 of it left. Oh dear.

However, if I delay paying my expenses by a week or so, then the refund is usually in my account at the same time as the payment goes through. Meaning I may not need my kitty at all.

Is this making sense?

I'm wondering if I can delay paying my expenses every month and hope that by the time I do, the refunded cash will be in my bank account. Or would my anxiety about this every month be through the roof?

I can't help thinking what I could do with that £750. I could make myself solvent for the next 3 months, til my wage goes up, and pay the rest towards the Capital One card.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Honestly, anxiety or not I think this is what you do. I am sure this is what other people do, that aside it is only till your council tax drops. You do need to sort the next three months.

and if you aren't anxious about this payment, won't you be anxious about something else = worst case scenario

And logically, since you know it has worked- the delaying, isn't this the least anxious option? what is the worst that can happen?

xxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Honestly, anxiety or not I think this is what you do. I am sure this is what other people do, that aside it is only till your council tax drops. You do need to sort the next three months.

and if you aren't anxious about this payment, won't you be anxious about something else = worst case scenario

And logically, since you know it has worked- the delaying, isn't this the least anxious option? what is the worst that can happen?

xxxx

Thanks for this Buffy, you're right, it's what I need to do. The alternative is to take cash out on my credit cards to top up the kitty and cover the shortfall. That is back to using the cards which I need to not do. I can't keep thinking I have cash there to be spent when I don't. The credit is not my money. Every time I use a card I'm getting myself in serious trouble.

Talking of which, I've just removed all 3 cards from my purse and tucked them away in my giant file of debt. If no terrible thing has happened in the next 3 months that require emergency card use then I'll cut up the Capital One card.

Also, I've never heard of preloved but I'll follow that up. Thanks for the tip.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm off out shortly to help with a music workshop. It should be fun and I'm secretly hoping I'll be slipped a tenner for my trouble...I can hope. Otherwise it's an afternoon's free entertainment. Can't go wrong.

Having made that decision about the kitty money, I'm going to do a budget for the next 3 months when I get home.

I wish my smilies were working! Anyone have any idea why when I click on one nothing happens?
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Is there a music school or a band rehearsal place where you could advertise the instruments and the amp?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there a music school or a band rehearsal place where you could advertise the instruments and the amp?

Fantastic idea, there is a massive rehearsal studio not too far away, I could start with an ad in there. It's full of young men learning how to be rock stars, perfect!!
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there a local facebook selling page for the things you want to sell?
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Is there a local facebook selling page for the things you want to sell?

I have no idea, I'll check it out though.

Managed a NSD today, took a sandwich to work, walked everywhere, feeling more than a little pleased.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mystery shop booked in for tomorrow. I get to go look at sofas. Will need to try not to buy one, I could do with a new one.

Happy money saving everyone.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure