Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Given you're now city based, could you do without a car?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    It's not that miserable, you are about 50 quid short?

and ok you haven't accounted for some stuff, well you have, it is just with invisible money.

can you as a short term thing pay Mum 130 instead of 185?

I am rubbish at cutting down food bills. Can you sell anything?

can you get any over time or a second job?

It can be solved.

Hello again by the way, you wrote some lovely stuff on my old diary XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some thoughts about my budget...
    • My wage will go up to £1700 at the end of May. I was given a relocation loan of £1400 which I thought would be paid back at £50 per month. They've been taking £200 per month. Grr. I decided it would be better to just get it paid off as fast as possible and didn't argue.
    • My council tax will reduce in April. This is because of the move, and the council taking 3 months to send me a bill.
    • That'll mean an extra £286 per month which will make me solvent at least.
    • My rent is extortionate and this was one of the cheapest flats I could find. I can't change that.
    • I spend a lot on petrol but can claim all of it back. £20 is a guess at how much spend over and above this. Fortunately I can walk to work so my car isn't used so much except for one long trip once a week.
    • I probably spend way more on food but will need to cut this back to £80. It's all I can afford and this needs to include cat food and toiletries and cleaning products.
    • I need to start saving for my car's next MOT which fortunately is not until November so plenty of time.
    • I'll need to start keeping an eye out for very cheap presents.
    • My hair is going to get very long!
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    yeah, see, I reckon if you pay Mum 130 till your council tax comes down you will be ok.

It sucks to have such a tight budget. I need to figure mine out in a bit less haphazard manner.

XX
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    You buy toiletries for your cat;)
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    I must admit my food budget went from a comfortable 30 quid a week to a much more rubbish £50 whilst I am paying for the dogs' food. It is so expensive and very difficult to change them to something cheaper.

I do check on pets at home as some times they have cheaper deals for dog food tins 32? for 16 pound and I keep an eye on amazon too.

the guinea pigs, I get al their stuff on subscribe and save from Amazon. that's a pretty good deal

XX
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there in need of direction...yes, my cat likes some nice smellies for when the lady cats come calling. I'll need to wean him off those. ;-)

Hiya Buffy...someone recommended A*di or L*dl dry cat food 'cos it's cheap and good. I'm worried my boy cat will move out though if the whiskas pouches stop. But really, even on offer they're £3 a box and gone in a week. I need to figure that one out.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have some things that I want to sell. These are a lawnmower, 3 guitars, an amp and a violin.

I'm not sure whether to use gumtree, I've not had massive success with this site before but don't know what my other options might be.

I also have a really good quality carpet I'm not using but not sure whether anyone would buy something like this.

Hmm...
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found you :) You are already finding solutions. CC onto 0% or life time balances?? Netflix - do you really need it? I know its only £5.99 but that£5.99 every month to the MOT. Slimmer cat? One box of Whisk*s pouches last our 2 cats a week! And as they usually sit here and can read the screen I am moving swiftly on and going to collect OH car from garage....................
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm giving up on the silly font, this one is much clearer and easier to read.

My training course has massive expenses, £1200 per month. I can claim these back but they still need to be paid upfront.

So, I had a kitty of £1200 when I started. However, over Christmas my expenses were much less due to holidays. And of course that unused kitty got eaten into by the expense of the festivities (and my poor financial planning and general out-of-control-ness).

I now have £750 of it left. Oh dear.

However, if I delay paying my expenses by a week or so, then the refund is usually in my account at the same time as the payment goes through. Meaning I may not need my kitty at all.

Is this making sense?

I'm wondering if I can delay paying my expenses every month and hope that by the time I do, the refunded cash will be in my bank account. Or would my anxiety about this every month be through the roof?

I can't help thinking what I could do with that £750. I could make myself solvent for the next 3 months, til my wage goes up, and pay the rest towards the Capital One card.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure