hope you are having a good weekend.
    a student account will help a bit?
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hiya :)

One of the student accounts comes with a £3k interest free overdraft. The idea is to transfer the nasty Cap 1 debt to overdraft and rid myself of the 29.9% interest rate they're charging.

I know. :eek: right?
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    That interest rate is daylight robbery. How good will it be to tell them to shove that card?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • lubava
    lubava Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ani*fan. If you are a student you should not be paying council tax at all. They will need letter to say that you are suding at least 1t hrs a week. And you should get 100%. I used to get it when I was leaving and studying in London ( I worked as well but thats irrelevant).
    Sainsburys Loan - £6945, Car - £5116, Barclaycard - £13499.99; Sant.Zero card - £500; Tesco card - £716.79; Argos - £116.88
    This my and DH debts together. Correct as of 30/03/14.
    LBM - 23/08/13. Total debts then - 30K.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 March 2014 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Hi there lubava :)

Thanks for the tip but I'm afraid I'm not entitled to full council tax benefits. I'm in a training post 4 days per week which is quite well paid, and at Uni the other 1 day, and the rules say that I would need to be at Uni more often than work in order to qualify.

Nice to know you're thinking on my behalf though, many thanks for that. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So my wage arrived and had last months' travel expenses along with this month's travel expenses too. So, a bigger wage than usual.

Need to get on with doing a budget. I'm so happy to have some cash!
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Good news. Just don't spend it all at once! Does this mean the Easter trip will def happen?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes the Easter trip is on. Yippee!

I took £80 out of the bank to keep in my purse and use for food. Direct debits are flying out of my account for the next few days. I'm in serious need of a look at a budget but I just can't be bothered tonight. Maybe tomorrow night?

I need to not ignore this and keep taking money out until there's none left. That's bad, and a very old habit with me.

Hope everyone's feeling a lot more motivated than me today.
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    So my wage arrived and had last months' travel expenses along with this month's travel expenses too. So, a bigger wage than usual.

Need to get on with doing a budget. I'm so happy to have some cash!

lovely , I had some unexpected back pay too:T
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Finally I got my student number and was able to apply for a student extra card. This cost £12 but can get me discounts at loads of places like amazon and my local supermarket so I'm well pleased. No sign of my real student card yet.

I've done a budget and am pleased to report that everything is covered this month, including the Easter trip, and that I've made my £100 overpayment to Cap 1. :j I've updated my signature and the debt has gone below £18k so I'm well pleased with that. Next month I will have paid off over a thousand pounds. I'd forgot how quickly this can move at the start. :D

Cap 1 card is showing on the website that my minimum payment has been received yet no money has gone out of my bank account. I've no idea what's going on there but suspect it may be something to do with all those extra payments. I'll phone them later.

Hope everyone has a fabulous money saving weekend. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure