Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thank you!

yes, I think of the emergency fund as money for one off unexpected things that aren't accounted for in my list of ins and outs.

had a no spend day today, yay.

well done on the overpayments :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's whatever would normally derail your budget if you had to pay it.

Ok, I think I got it, the only problem being that my budget isn't quite right at the moment. I'm waiting for my wage to increase by £200 in 2 months' time, and also my council tax to half in April. Then I will redo my budget to include the expenses that aren't there right now. Presents, haircuts, all car expenses except petrol, dentist, vet, the list keeps growing but I'm trying to keep a note of it all so I don't forget.

Thanks for this. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thank you!

yes, I think of the emergency fund as money for one off unexpected things that aren't accounted for in my list of ins and outs.

had a no spend day today, yay.

well done on the overpayments :)

And well done to you for the no spend day! I love those days, when you can truly feel that there is 'enough' of everything and it's all ok. Contentedness, that's what I'm striving for.

Thanks asparagus. :)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Thanks for a different take to mine on a NSD. For me, it tends to be a can't be bothered to get out of Jammie's than anything else.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I definitely could do with a few NSD's after the last week or so. Fed up with spending but it was stuff I needed. Love it when I have a NSD, I get a little smug feeling.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I went back to work. It was brilliant being up on my feet again but not a little bit tiring. I came home, ate dinner and promptly fell asleep at around 8pm. Oh dear, now I'm awake at silly o'clock in the morning but feeling ok.

Springtime has arrived in the city. The sun is shining and I can smell cut grass and warm pavements everywhere. It's just lovely. I'm missing my cottage garden but after a chat with my neighbours it looks like I'm being given responsibility for the front garden. Superb!! :j There's much weeding and tidying to be done, and I'll need a bag or 3 of compost. I can't wait to get started.

I still have some things to sell but I'm going to leave them for now. I started to feel I was being robbed there for a bit! I'll just wait 'til the selling mood comes over me again.

My friend has been in touch about my visit. She's now talking about us having massages and manicures and all manner of expensive treats. I told her straight I just can't afford it and now she has offered to treat me. Trouble is, I know she can't afford it either. I've said no. :( But I do want to make the trip so I need to figure out where that cash will come from.

I'm trying to get used to my emergency fund but it's such an unfamiliar feeling, having £40 sitting there untouched. In my mind I should be paying it towards Cap 1. But I know that's no way to budget. I guess this is all about changing the patterns of money behaviour.

Have a fabulous money saving day everyone. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just paid £45 to my Cap 1 card bringing the total overpayment this month to £100. While I was on the site I noticed that they have reduced my monthly payment to £33, as opposed to the £75 it is supposed to be. I'm guessing they have taken the overpayment to be part of my regular payment.

This annoys me. :mad: I'm now going to have to remember to make that payment manually instead of just waiting for the direct debit to go out. Can they not see I'm trying to over pay?
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Can you check out groupon or living social deals for somewhere close to your friend and get cheap indulgences.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    morning.
    my mortgage company did the same after I tied to overpay, reaaly annoyed me too.now I wait until the day after my DD has gone out to overpay. (that sounds impressive, but I've only overpaid £210 over the last year, but every little helps)

Pyjama days ,enhanced by dvds, or a good book, are quite often engineered here, just to stop me going out spending!!

I also leave my purse at home if its a work day to stop me popping into the shop on my way home.

have a good day
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you pay a set amount to your Cap card. I pay a fixed DD to 2 of my CC which were set slightly above the minimum. So as debt goes down the overpayment goes up IYSWIM.............well makes sense to me and gives me a little psychological boost;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure