Tales from the city

Options

Comments

• ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you check out groupon or living social deals for somewhere close to your friend and get cheap indulgences.

I love this idea, except that to be honest, I'm not wildly bothered about a massage or anything like that. It seems a bit like spending just for the sake of joining in. Hmmm. My pal will understand, I'm sure.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    morning.
    my mortgage company did the same after I tied to overpay, reaaly annoyed me too.now I wait until the day after my DD has gone out to overpay. (that sounds impressive, but I've only overpaid £210 over the last year, but every little helps)

I think this would help my situation too. There's a deadline after which anything paid to the card then counts as part of the regular payment. So I need to overpay earlier in the month.

Pyjama days ,enhanced by dvds, or a good book, are quite often engineered here, just to stop me going out spending!!

Study days, that's what I need to stop me spending, and lots of them!

I also leave my purse at home if its a work day to stop me popping into the shop on my way home.

I need £2.30 for parking every day which I can reclaim. I've been using this as an excuse to take my debit card. Maybe I should get a pile of change at the start of the month and only take what I need?

have a good day

Thanks for all of that. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Can you pay a set amount to your Cap card. I pay a fixed DD to 2 of my CC which were set slightly above the minimum. So as debt goes down the overpayment goes up IYSWIM.............well makes sense to me and gives me a little psychological boost;)

Just wondering if the overpayments would still reduce the fixed amount, or if fixed means that amount goes out whatever else has been paid in or when? I might test this one out.

Thanks Igamogam. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I had an massive fail in the spending dept. It may only have been around £5 but as we know it all adds up.

I'm definitely going to start leaving my purse at home to stop these spontaneous spends on coffee and snacks and junk I don't need.

Have a brilliant money saving day everyone. :)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Just wondering if the overpayments would still reduce the fixed amount, or if fixed means that amount goes out whatever else has been paid in or when? I might test this one out.

Thanks Igamogam. :)

Well in my case I have a fixed DD of £50 and make daily rounding down payments and it makes no difference to the DD amount. I rang customer service to fix the DD.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    don't feel too bad-just spent £23 on having my hair done!! luckily I only go every 3 months as I snip the fringe myself. hairdresser said "was just thinking the other day I'd not seen you for ages" didn't tell her I can't afford to go more often...

also spent £15, but it was on three birthday presents, so don't feel too bad at that.

on the plus side, got £45 from topcashback at long last.
    have you seen these cashback sites? any online shopping or insurances can be bought through them,and you get a percentage back,usually 8-12 weeks later. you get more if you choose amazon vouchers etc, but I just request the cash.
    definitely worth a look. you can even earn for no-spend things like surveys or trials.
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I got my council tax bill through. It's more than I thought and at first I wondered if they'd applied the single person's discount but yes, it's correct and stands at £113.16 for the first month and £109 thereafter. Still, better than what I have been paying so it's all good. Once my wage changes I'll post my new budget.

I also printed off a form at work to get a rebate on travel expenses tax. They used to issue a cheque for this, did they not? Now it gets applied to your tax code but still, that should be a few extra quid each month. Need to get it filled out next week at the end of the month.

I need to get on to my bank who are indeed trying to charge me for that bounced cheque. I'm going to beg them to rethink. Can't hurt to ask.

I found 2p in the street yesterday and have added it to my emergency fund which now stands at £40.02. :T

Have a brilliant money saving day all my mse friends. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    on the plus side, got £45 from topcashback at long last.
    have you seen these cashback sites? any online shopping or insurances can be bought through them,and you get a percentage back,usually 8-12 weeks later. you get more if you choose amazon vouchers etc, but I just request the cash.
    definitely worth a look. you can even earn for no-spend things like surveys or trials.

I never did work out those cashback sites. They're probably something I should learn about. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops, another thing for today, I need to ring Cap 1 and get my monthly direct debit fixed so that it's not reduced by overpayments. Thanks Igamogam for that tip.

Also, now that I'm feeling better I'm back to walking into work. No need for parking money after all.
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ani*fan wrote: »
    Oops, another thing for today, I need to ring Cap 1 and get my monthly direct debit fixed so that it's not reduced by overpayments. Thanks Igamogam for that tip.

Also, now that I'm feeling better I'm back to walking into work. No need for parking money after all.

glad you are feeling better, hope the sun is shining for your journey :)
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport