5:2 Diet (part II)

Options

Comments

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pink_petal wrote: »
    The way it works out with my training, I just cant find a day to fast. Anyone else found this? I've read so may articles saying that there's no issue with fasting and weight training but it just isn't working out for me. I wonder if lunch time to lunch time would be better as then I would be able to have a big lunch on my training days and skip dinner instead?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

PP x

Hi, I don't do the 5:2 fasting but I do sometimes practice intermittent fasting on a 16:8 basis depending what I'm up to training wise. I'll happily do cardio based exercise (spinning, cycling, running and even bootcamp) in a fasted state and often schedule those in for a morning session so my last meal would have been the evening before and nothing again until mid-morning or lunch time.

When I'm doing strength and power lifting it's always in the evening so I have my main meal at lunch time then maybe a light protein/carb snack after training to help with recovery.

Hope this helps :)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pink_petal wrote: »
    The way it works out with my training, I just cant find a day to fast. Anyone else found this? I've read so may articles saying that there's no issue with fasting and weight training but it just isn't working out for me. I wonder if lunch time to lunch time would be better as then I would be able to have a big lunch on my training days and skip dinner instead?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

PP x
    Has your weight remained the same?

Some of your symptoms sound like the added calorie burning fromn your exercise sessions has put you into too large a calorie deficit.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Yes my weight has stayed the same the whole time...although this week I may have gained 1lb due to a weekend of eating out!

I'll have a look into the 16:8, I remember it from reading the book but didn't pay much attention to it at the time. Is that something you do every day rather than the two days a week?

I'm like you with the cardio, I prefer to do my running or other cardio type classes in the morning before breakfast but last Saturday I tried to do a barbell session in the morning and I couldn't all the reps using weights that I've done before. My trainer said it was most likely due to not having eaten so not having the energy for the final push.

I'd hate to give up fasting as it's really worked for me so will definitely look into ways I can make it work!

PP x
  • choccyface2006
    choccyface2006 Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on my second fast day of the week, I started the 5:2 diet last week so my 4th fast day in total. I'm finding it so hard cooking for the family while feeling really hungry!

Sarah x
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Fasting today.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I'm fasting today after going a bit mad over the easter weekend. Going to do today and friday to try and undo some of the damage!

So far today I've had a wee tub of raspberries for lunch and dinner will probably be a chicken stirfry. Also planning a run after work so that should take my mind off the hunger til OH gets in from footie at 8!
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Options
    Went over by 50 yesterdy - no biggy.

Had vegetable run down with a couple of HM dumplings and they pushed me over.

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • majorica
    majorica Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, I started the 5:2 in Feb last year and reached my target weight slowly but surely by July/August, did 6:1 to maintain until December when I thought I deserved a rest and it was the lead up to Christmas after all :o big mistake.
    I could not get started again and then at the end of January I stopped smoking so started substituting snacks for cigs, well you can imagine the scenario, I have now put half a stone back on again :( but I have started again this week, Monday and today and am determined to stick with it.
    Anyway the moral of the story (for me) is to not have a break, yes maybe Christmas week but not the whole of December lol.
    I'm annoyed with myself as it is the easiest "diet" I have ever done as I never felt deprived, so if you don't mind I'll be popping in now and again for some inspiration and encouragement.
  • adouglasmhor
    Photogenic
    Options
    I don't mind in the least. Thread needs reawakening.
    I am fasting tomorow.

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am back to fasting again. I have put on a few pounds but not a great deal and have been eating quite a lot. I prefer to fast all day with just one piece of fruit for lunch with a cuppa. I fasted today and it was so easy that I totally forgot I was fasting and when I cooked dinner I wasn't any hungrier than I am normally.

I know I've put on weight because my clothes are a bit tight and I want them to be loose again.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure