5:2 Diet (part II)

Options

Comments

• tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of the reasons I started this diet 7 weeks ago was that my blood pressure was getting up - 157 / 89 with a resting pulse of 87. Today, my blood pressure is 140 / 68 with a resting pulse of 65. I think that is a result for someone with a history of deep vein thrombosis and pe.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • judpudding
    judpudding Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I am just starting this again today!
    Need to lose 2 stone before a family wedding in Aug. Ideally want to lose 6 pounds in 3 weeks for a holiday. Might try and do 4:3 until then... ordered a bunch of fruit and veg and some low cal ready meals for after work..
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Fasted yesterday and ended up 566 calories for the day.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Today is a fast day for me. I had quinoa and veg for lunch, planning on a gym visit after work and then no idea what I will eat after that!
  • pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    I've not been around for ages but nice to come back and see familiar names! I've still been doing 5:2 or sometimes 6:1 but I can't seem to be as strict with myself now I'm at my target weight. More often than not I have a wee cheat after dinner...where has my willpower gone!?

I'm happy with my weight anyway so trying not to beat myself up too much. I've also started a new training programme that involves barbells and kettlebells 2/3 times a week along side my running so my trainer did say I should be prepared for my weight to go up a bit...but for my measurements to go down! This is certainly the case and my measurements seem to be going down a steady quarter inch a month...but after living by the scales for so long it's really hard to get used to!

I always found the old thread great for motivation so I'll try to post more often and maybe I can find that missing willpower!

PP xx
  • cardi80
    Options
    PP - I find it really hard to not go by the scales too!

Fast day for me today. Might try for a 3rd this week too.

I'm about to change my job from a stationary jon to a physical job and my whole routine including cycling as part of my commute so am wondering if I will be able to stick to 5:2 or not...
  • shandyclover
    Options
    cardi80 wrote: »
    I'm about to change my job from a stationary jon to a physical job and my whole routine including cycling as part of my commute so am wondering if I will be able to stick to 5:2 or not...
    I work 3 days a week, in a very, very physical job and I study at home 2 days a week. I prefer to fast when I am at home, or on the weekend, but I have on occasion fasted while working. The main thing is to chose what you do eat very, very carefully. I find I have the most success by eating a few handfuls of almonds or nuts during the day. Yes nuts are high in calories and fat, so you can't eat a lot of them and stay within your 500 calorie limit, but they do satisfy. For me they stop any serious hunger pangs and lightheaded-ness, which seems to hit immediately if I stray into eating any kind of carbs while fasting. Staying hydrated also seems to help. I drink vast amounts of sugar free squash or herbal tea if it is cold.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    2nd fast day of the week today.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • cardi80
    Options
    I work 3 days a week, in a very, very physical job and I study at home 2 days a week. I prefer to fast when I am at home, or on the weekend, but I have on occasion fasted while working. The main thing is to chose what you do eat very, very carefully. I find I have the most success by eating a few handfuls of almonds or nuts during the day. Yes nuts are high in calories and fat, so you can't eat a lot of them and stay within your 500 calorie limit, but they do satisfy. For me they stop any serious hunger pangs and lightheaded-ness, which seems to hit immediately if I stray into eating any kind of carbs while fasting. Staying hydrated also seems to help. I drink vast amounts of sugar free squash or herbal tea if it is cold.

The good thing is I will be taking all my food in with me to save money (amazing job but rubbish pay) and there will be loads of fruit/veg and nuts I can snack on whilst at work. I think I'm more worried about whether I will find it so easy to only consume 500 calories and still have energy being far more active! I don't really want to have my fast days only on my days off. I will see how it goes when I start!
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi all, I was fasting today and it was the first fasting day in ages that I've really struggled with. I think it's because I've taken up cycling to work.

This is an 8 mile trip each way and by the time I got home I was really hungry and felt pretty weak and tired out (normally on fasting days I don't really notice any difference at all). Anyway, I'm thinking if I cycle on fasting days I might have something small to eat earlier in the day.

However, I'm wondering what people's opinion is on when to eat to get the most benefit - before or after exercise? I've poked about the internet and there seems to be a lot of contradictions, and a LOT of people saying "a little before, and a little after" - not really advice that works when fasting.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport