5:2 Diet (part II)

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »
    I remember my first fast day. It went okay. It was the second one that was a nightmare...:D

But if you stick with it, you find it gets a lot easier.

I am now within 2lb of my 'intermediate' target - going from class 2 to class 1 obese. It's a weird old world where being just obese is a major achievement but my highest weight was 80 lb higher than that ( I've lost 18 lb on the fast diet after a long period of stasis.)

Mine days are going to be Tuesday and Thursday so will find out tomorrow how difficult the second one is!

What I did realise was that it is a steep learning curve. I will need to learn a lot more re healthy low calorie eating but also on the other 5 days I will need to be healthy but build in some fun as well.
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    I had a good fast day yesterday, ending up with a wrap with a beanburger halved with salad, tomato, and some lighter than light mayo with some Polish pickled veg and HM sweet potato oven chips on the side (seasoned before baking with lemon salt and paprika)

440 Calories.

That all sounds so good!
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Walcott wrote: »
    What I did realise was that it is a steep learning curve. I will need to learn a lot more re healthy low calorie eating but also on the other 5 days I will need to be healthy but build in some fun as well.

Good luck today :)

There is a learning curve at first. I reduced it by using slimshake thingies for a few weeks during the fast day. Not sure that it didn't make things harder than they need to.

I've kept it pretty simple, really. Worked out a basic meal (Tuna Salad / Sardine Salad / Herring Salad generally half a tin) and used it for most of the fast days. Boring but it is the no effort way :)

500 calories (leaving 100 for coffee) is a really large amount of veg if you do it right...
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • ChaddyBouy
    Options
    Hi guys,

I started this on Tuesday, I've lost 3 stones in the past 18 months but hit a wall so thought I'd switch it up. Only want to lose another stone but quite determined to do it. I found it pretty difficult on Tuesday. Does anyone have any links to some good food ideas for the fasting days?

Thanks.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tomterm8 wrote: »
    Good luck today :)

There is a learning curve at first. I reduced it by using slimshake thingies for a few weeks during the fast day. Not sure that it didn't make things harder than they need to.

I've kept it pretty simple, really. Worked out a basic meal (Tuna Salad / Sardine Salad / Herring Salad generally half a tin) and used it for most of the fast days. Boring but it is the no effort way :)

500 calories (leaving 100 for coffee) is a really large amount of veg if you do it right...

Unfortunately could not do mine today because I have a cold that has got worse over night :(

On the plus side still three days left in the week so should be able to make up the day.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Mind if I join?

I only have a little to lose - probably about a stone, but as nothing else is working and this has worked for my BiL and a colleague I thought I would give it a go

Today is my third fast day - first was last Thursday, then Monday, now today. It may not always be Monday and Thursday but will always be weekdays, and I would like to leave two clear days in between. I am trying to approach it in the same way I gave up smoking years ago - "don't have it today, wait until tomorrow". Though with the smoking, I didn't have it tomorrow either.

So last week I had a breakfast of slice ham, slice cheese, melon and tomatoes then no lunch and then prawn stir fry. Monday I decided I needed three meals so had an ounce of porridge made with water, a thick veg soup for lunch and the same for tea. That was better.
    Today, I have had porridge again, an egg white omelette with a slice of ham and a salad for lunch and prawn stir fry for tea.

I haven't gone mad on the in between days, I use "my fitness pal" and have kept within the daily calorie allowance of 1400 calories.

I definitely feel less bloated and my system seems to be working better, if you know what I mean :o I thought I might be tired and headachey at the end of the day but its been ok. I don't even wake up hungry. Odd :-/
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • tomterm8
    Options
    Hi, VJSMum,

I'd recommend eating more calories during the 'normal' days. MyFitnessPro bases it's calculations on a 500 deficit a day (so you lose a lb a week) .

So, you deficit will be 2500 during normal days
    plus 3000 during your fast days
    =5,500 calories.

That's less than the 2 lb maximum advised so it's not unsafe, but it 's a tough deficit to maintain over a long period unless you are very overweight.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
  • tomterm8
    Options
    Walcott wrote: »
    Unfortunately could not do mine today because I have a cold that has got worse over night :(

On the plus side still three days left in the week so should be able to make up the day.

No problem. Just shift the fast day to another day, that's one of the good things about this diet... it fits in with your life.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    I was going to fast again today but my bursitis has flared up (after a 3 hour Juijutsu session on Sunday) so I have had to take ibruproffen and it's not nice on an empty stomach, so I have postponed till Sunday.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice on fasting and exercise! I'm at my target weight now, have been maintaining since October, but I'm still looking to lose a few inches all over so look how I want to look in my wedding dress in September!

Last month I started a new training plan which involves resistance (barbells, kettlebells and bodyweight) training as well as running at least 2 runs a week (one long and slow, one short and fast). Since I started this I have been completely unable to fast. I can't fast on the day I do weights as I get lightheaded but I can't fast the day after I do them, or my long run, as my body is STARVING...not just the normal huger that I can ignore and that goes away within half an hour or so. I've felt faint a few times and my stomach rumbles so loudly I've been so embarrassed in a few meetings.

The way it works out with my training, I just cant find a day to fast. Anyone else found this? I've read so may articles saying that there's no issue with fasting and weight training but it just isn't working out for me. I wonder if lunch time to lunch time would be better as then I would be able to have a big lunch on my training days and skip dinner instead?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

PP x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family