5:2 Diet (part II)

Options

Comments

• pink_petal
    pink_petal Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Fasting today! Always find it hard on a Monday after having a good weekend! Also feel particularly hungry today, probably because I did a weights session yesterday and it always makes me really hungry the next day Might have some fruit at lunch if it gets too bad!

Any other Monday fasters??

PP x
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    I'm fasting today - just had my porridge sachet and I'll be having a frittata & salad later on, after my ballet class. Husband isn't fasting as he did a long race yesterday, so I may have to go to bed earlier to avoid hearing him slurping his bedtime drink and crunching his bedtime biscuits!
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angry_Bear wrote: »
    Hi all, I was fasting today and it was the first fasting day in ages that I've really struggled with. I think it's because I've taken up cycling to work.

This is an 8 mile trip each way and by the time I got home I was really hungry and felt pretty weak and tired out (normally on fasting days I don't really notice any difference at all). Anyway, I'm thinking if I cycle on fasting days I might have something small to eat earlier in the day.

However, I'm wondering what people's opinion is on when to eat to get the most benefit - before or after exercise? I've poked about the internet and there seems to be a lot of contradictions, and a LOT of people saying "a little before, and a little after" - not really advice that works when fasting.

In theory, doing the same amount of exercise before eating you will burn more calories than after eating because the energy stores in your muscles will already be depleted so it will force the body to burn fat - which is an inefficient process - rather than rely on more efficient sources of power.

In practise some people find it hard to do the same amount of exercise in a fasted state - they bonk / lose the ability to carry on.

My view is to exercise whenever convenient and not worry about it.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • tomterm8
    Options
    I'm fasting today and feeling hungry. I had a woosh over the last week, hope the fast weight loss continues.
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
  • judpudding
    Options
    I had a cold last week and was unable to fast my second day but I lost 2 pounds from general loss of appetite! Back on it today. I have 4 Weetabix biscuits to spread out throughout my working day and then a Weight Watchers meal for dinner with a 10 calorie jelly for pud.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Fasting today. Just had a mug of Kucharek universal vegetable seasoning for 4 Calories.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • cardi80
    cardi80 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Fast day for me today.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My first ever fast day today. So far so good and I have 150 calories left for the day :D
  • tomterm8
    Options
    Walcott wrote: »
    My first ever fast day today. So far so good and I have 150 calories left for the day

I remember my first fast day. It went okay. It was the second one that was a nightmare...:D

But if you stick with it, you find it gets a lot easier.

I am now within 2lb of my 'intermediate' target - going from class 2 to class 1 obese. It's a weird old world where being just obese is a major achievement but my highest weight was 80 lb higher than that ( I've lost 18 lb on the fast diet after a long period of stasis.)
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    I had a good fast day yesterday, ending up with a wrap with a beanburger halved with salad, tomato, and some lighter than light mayo with some Polish pickled veg and HM sweet potato oven chips on the side (seasoned before baking with lemon salt and paprika)

440 Calories.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport