🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pay Off by Christmas Challenge

Options

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Helonearth wrote: »
    Well I have read through the matched betting stuff now and I think I get it. Seems that it all lies in:
    - bogof bet offers on websites
    - making a bet on one site and acting as bookie for the same bet on another site with the same odds a couple of times
    - withdrawing your original cash and the cash from the free bet

A bit more complex than that, but as far as I can tell, thats the basic idea. You make the money by withdrawing the freebie money rather than by actually winning the bet.

I guess now I just have to have the guts to try it. Be a bit weird as I have never bet on anything in my life! :eek:

Thanks for that! I have read the matched betting thread loads of times and never been able to make head or tail of it. Your 'in a nutshell' version makes perfect sense. Not sure if I dare try it though :o
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!!

Good to see a couple of new faces. Everyone is welcome. Ok I've updated my sig, with all my info. I managed to make another couple of payments at the weekend and my Amazon money transfered into my OD. Mum gave me some petrol money so I need to pay that in at some point. I also need to count up my bumble bee money and see if i have enough to pay it into my account.

Ok, off to do some piggyclick so will see everyone later.
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Off on holiday later this week so not much progress from me but have £103 waiting to be paid by quidco so will update sig when it hits my account.
    I'll try and get some pics and descriptions ready to put on ebay when I get back.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Aug  35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2400/7000

Mortgage balance: £52212

Make £100 extra a month: June £0 Boiler £276/2000

• Lucy1982_2
    Options
    Off on holiday later this week so not much progress from me but have £103 waiting to be paid by quidco so will update sig when it hits my account.
    I'll try and get some pics and descriptions ready to put on ebay when I get back.

Have a good holiday. Where are you going?

I have about £40 waiting on Quidco and no idea when I'll get paid. Good luck with Ebaying, I'm trying to sort out things for a carboot. It's on my list to do this week. But we'll see if I get round to it.

Enjoy yourself
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, we're off to Rhodes, just hoping things calm down soon at Glasgow though as we're flying from there. Not planning on spending too much but we'll see how it goes but it'll be nice to be away from the rain!
    I've sold a few bits on ebay - mainly kids clothes but still have loads to go and I'm planning on getting into Amazon selling too when I get back.
    My quidco pay outs are from April and May sign ups but both just paid at the end of June, I've only just started using quidco this year so I don't know if it's typical.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Aug  35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2400/7000

Mortgage balance: £52212

Make £100 extra a month: June £0 Boiler £276/2000

• Lucy1982_2
    Options
    I think so, one of mine is from May and hasn't shown up as received yet. But it will be nice once it does.
  • ShirleyPark_2
    Options
    I'm glad someone mentioned Quidco, I have about £30 in there and I've never bothered to set up my account details to withdraw the money. I was saving it for Christmas, but I've got nearly enough money in my Christmas savings account for that, so I think I'll get that money out of there and put it into my "bank of mum" savings account, atleast it'll earn interest there.

Car loan is now paid off, so just the "bank of mum" to go, am going to put the amount that my car loan used to be into a savings account each money for the next 6 months. I'd rather have it in savings incase I need the money to sort out the house situation, then hopefully I can pay a huge lump sum back at Christmas. Well that's the plan.
    Debts: Mum £3923 0% APR
  • Lucy1982_2
    Options
    Right just bothered to work out that above my normal payments I need to find/make another £80 a month to pay off both my store card and OD by christmas :eek:

Now I am currently Amazoning stuff, although only 15 items current for sale and I am going to do a car boot. However this is not going to be £80 a month!! So my task list is this:

-Amazon as much as possible (without selling stuff I want to keep)
    -organise for a car boot so ready to go once the weather is ok.
    -Do NOT spend anything unless I really need it.
    -put all petrol money from Mum into my account to pay off debt.
    -bring packed lunches to work and not top them up!
    -Put all coppers in the bumble bee

I can't cut anything out of my SOA as everything has already gone, I just need to be careful with what I've got and make it go as far as it can. I will transfer any money I have left in my account at the end of the month to either my OD or my debt savings account.

There feel a little less scared now I have written it all down. So any spare money will go off either my store card or OD. If I don't need it, I'm not going to have it.

We'll see where that gets me.
  • SAFC73_2
    SAFC73_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I'd like to join in too.

Have a small loan with GE Capital at £195 and a business loan with Natwest which is now £1260. Would like to be shot of GE by September and the Bank loan by January 2008 at the latest.

At present working in an industry which is going to the dogs so should be quite a challenge to finish off my business loan. But going to have a bash
    5th May 1973, 3.31pm Porterfield Heaven:j :j

20p savers club - 60p -

Proud to be dealing with my debt...getting there. But I will in the end.... ( Mwa ha ha ha. evil laugh)
  • emptypocketz
    emptypocketz Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I feel like I am on a great start -

I am aiming to save £850 in a separate account to repay my overdraft in my current account.

I have transferred £150 from my wages this month (£50 was overtime that I forgot about so won't miss it).

I am currently saving 20ps, and I have bagged £10 of it and cashed it straight into the bank today.

Also, there was £1.54 interest left over in the account so I hope you don't mind but I have added that to my total = £161.54 :j

Quidco are due to pay me £50 (marked as paid on their website so I should get it pretty soon). I have listed about 5 items on Ebay so far (need to have a scurry round to see what else I can shift). And I am going to be a regular visitor to the OS board to stop me spending ridiculous amounts in food shopping.
    £[strike]4,500 [/strike] 4,313.42 Loan (last payment Oct 2009!)
    £1,000 overdraft
    £11.30 Cataloge
    TOTAL DEBT = £5,324.92 :o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business