PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• MummyBobble
    MummyBobble Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, not much going on here in the decluttering stakes I'm afraid. DD's upcoming GCSEs, particularly the equipment and materials she needs for her 10 hour art exam when she produces her final piece the week after next, seem to be taking over the house :eek: We have colour co-ordinated mind maps and revision notes blu-tacked to the walls throughout the house as well as file upon file of school work and other revision. Still, I suppose it won't be for much longer and I should appreciate her working so hard :j

It will be nice though when the dining table isn't piled high with school work and we can use it again (very organised piles though, although her bedroom is an absolute tip her school work is kept in perfect order). I may concentrate on the bathroom for now as that seems to be the only room she's not using for revision (so far :rotfl:)
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    blitz [STRIKE]conservatory[/STRIKE] dumping ground:
    • TWO recycling wheelie bins FULL,
    • black (landfill) bin also almost full (was emptied on Wednesday),
    • three boxes for charity shop,
    • two boxes of books for the book recycling/charity shop,
    • one box for after school club,
    • four bags for cash4clothes,
    • one for schwopping (or clothes swap maybe - shame my friends are all a smaller size than me)
    • one bag of boy's clothes for a friend.
    • a box of WEEE (the electrical stuff) - it has to go to the tip.
    • a box of DVDs that the kids don't want (Music Magpie or Zapper).
    • three boxes of assorted detritus to sort out (will try to deal with 10 items per day)
    I am also proud to announce that I got HWTHMBO to chuck whole load of stuff too.
    I can't wait til I get my car (crashed last one on Saturday, getting replacement on Friday next week - thanks for lending me the money mum!) and can take all this stuff away.

After lunch I went outside and
    • cleared the pond (and rescued 3 frogs - one from the green recycling bin :eek:),
    • tidied my greenhouse and weeded the small bed in there, watered the cabages that overwintered in there (think they are bolting now),
    • weeded the raised bed on the patio,
    • sorted out and moved the wormery to it's summer quarters,
    • made a stand for the rehomed water butt I got out of a skip,
    • put down the plastic (opened out dog food bags) on the growing beds (hurry up beans!),
    • weeded the pots and moved them to their summer quarters,
    • moved the cold frame to the growing bed (come on beans!),
    • planted up some unexpected plants ( I think they might be butternut squash),
    • gone through all my pots, kept the ones I want and put the others in a bag for our latest charity drive at work - a school are going to get them for their 'grow your own' project.
    • The laundry is dry and in, plus I have bedding (that i don't mnd if he loses) for DS#2's school trip next week.
    I'm off for a soak in the bath but first I'll have to blitz the airing cupboard...:undecided
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday a bag with cross words and old magazines left the house to go to MIL. I have continued to go through the pile of mail in the hallway, there is still some to do. I have done some dusting.

Good luck to you all with your decluttering next week.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Took couple of bags to CS. Burnt old cash point slips had some from 2012:beer:
    Oldest D has 2 bags for bin.:j
    Now I need to do kitchen need to be ruthless as had new kitchen last year and now have lots a extra cupboards but they are already full.
    Plastic tub with no lid anyone? Where I dont just recylce it straight away I dont know.
    Dreaming of being a minimalist.
    D birthday is next week so more dolls come. Packaging will fill blue bin on its own.
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • highlandlady72
    Options
    Did a clearout of half the sideboard I have in dining room. Dozen or so crystal glasses taken to the charity shop I usually donate to. (Havent been used since my dad died 6 years ago). Some other glasses were binned. Past the used stage.
    More added to the pile I've got for cs. But its being picked up on Tuesday.
  • GetRealBabe
    GetRealBabe Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    Am decluttering my bedroom and have 3 black bags full of rubbish. I can see some of the floor now:rotfl:A long way to go but I've started.:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 089-Finally got a signature.:rotfl::j

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    im working on our bedroom today and so far have a bin bag full of stuff for the CS and almost a bin bag of rubbish and recycling!
    i also went through the bathroom boxes and all out of date medicines are going (will probs take them down chemist for safe disposal)
    a recycling bag of newspapers and magazines went out on the front this morning.
    feels good

well done everyone else for what youve all achieved
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Becky_2 wrote: »
    Yesterday a bag with cross words and old magazines left the house to go to MIL. I have continued to go through the pile of mail in the hallway, there is still some to do. I have done some dusting.

Good luck to you all with your decluttering next week.

Spent ages trying to think what a bag with cross words was. I was imagining it had expletives printed all over it.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    bagged up the CS stuff, mostly handbags, toiletry and makeup bags along with a few clothes and an almost new but too tight to be comfy pair of stilettos.
    a big jar of bath beads has been relocated to the bathroom window sill so that it can be used up.

going to go through the pile of rubbish ive brought down and dumped on the kitchen floor now to see what can be recycled and whats just rubbish.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pleased with myself today - have found yet more stuff for the CS including a load of books I'd put to one side to sell but honestly, it's not worth the effort for what I'd get for them. Also some clothes have gone into CS bag. Found some wool too which I think I'll sort through, sell some on Ravelry and other bits go to CS too. Found I have some more birthday cards which is good as was thinking I need to buy some so stashed them in a drawer. Half filled a black bag with rubbish and slung out some old scales so all progress.

This was all from the living room and I have only cleared a small patch so more to go over the week methinks :)
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport