PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2014 decluttering thread (part 3)

Options

Comments

• highlandlady72
    Options
    Haven't posted on this for couple of weeks. Have got a few things done.
    Sorted out the toilet cupboards. Now cleaned & tidy.
    Finished of some nearly empty shampoo/shower gel bottles. Some bathroom cleaning stuff (bottles/wipes), either used up or binned.
    One black bag of stuff taken to tip last weekend. As was box of bottles/jars for the recycling bins.
    Half dozen dvds & a blu ray disc taken to cex. Got voucher for £8.80.
    Inside & outside of car cleaned. Got a few things binned from the glove compartment & the boot.
    And the fridge got a total gut-out this morning. And the shelves got a good clean.
    Another black bag of rubbish has been started. Charity shop pile is on the go. And have got a small pile of stuff in the garage to be taken to the tip
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    41) Ebay items posted and well received (got a lovely thank you from one buyer)
    42) A carrier bagful of clothes (too small for me even though I am losing weight) gone to a friend
    43) another bottle of shower gel used up and binned (recycling).
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • sillyme673
    sillyme673 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    On a good note got youngest D to tidy room. Three bags of rubbish, you cant tell though:rotfl:
    Little rant, why do people who say they are coming for free stuff never turn up:o
    Another bag to CS. I cant believe I had so much stuff. Still have loft to finish , hate going up there insulation gets everywhere and am always worried I am going to put foot though ceiling.
    Happy decluttering everyone.:j
    Death comes to us all.When he came to Mort, he offered him a job. MORT by Terry Pratchett.
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another 4 things gone today -sorry I've not posted a lot. I am still de-cluttering, but this month it's part of a challenge on another thread.

Aiming for 30 items in the month but bigger items eg on Monday I put 3 bin bags in the bin but not normal rubbish -I had been collecting stuff over a number of weeks (a lot of garden things) and this was broken plastic items (wrong sort of plastics to go in the recycling bins), picked up all the broken pegs (left them where they fell when it was cold/windy and rainy) and other items that have already been mended and are now beyond further repair.

Today I have taken 3 bags for the charity shop and thrown out an item of clothing belonging to DS3 -it had red marks on (biro/paint/fake blood?) but has resisted three different methods of stain removal (and he has another version of the same costume in his other wardrobe. I've also got him doing repairs on some of his other clothing (going through one wardrobe was 1 declutter, still waiting till he's in the right mood todothe other one). This takes my total for the month to 11/30.

Need to pull my socks up and hopefully make some money. Need to tackle the CD and video pile and the 'technology' stuff - do mobile phone chargers breed when they are left alone? Still have a pile of miscellaneous wires -printer cables etc. These things are not moving with me when I downsize -mum wants me to look at a house in a good central location (in a row of houses I have always liked that don't come up for sale very often) but I think they are tiny. She thinks if I found them unsuitable,at least I wouldn't have regrets about missing out later. I am wondering if it would be good discipline - like living in an old-fashioned gypsy caravan, every item would have to be worth keeping and kept tidy.

Keep getting rid of your clutter till you only have what you need or love.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • highlandlady72
    Options
    Another trip to the tip this afternoon:
    One bag of stuff from clearout of sideboard.
    3 well past it garden plant/small bush holders. one had 2 very large cracks in it. One other was already breaking apart. Also found about 5-6 very large snails in amongst them.
    One very worn & dirty plastic patio parasol/umbrella base. Which hasnt been used in past 6 years or so.
  • Willowpop
    Willowpop Posts: 856 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have cleared out some glass ramekins that have been languishing at the back of a cupboard. Currently on freecycle, but will head off to the charity shop next week if no one wants them.
    Also just sorted my tupperware and have binned any lids with no bottoms and a couple of bottoms with no lids.
    Cupboard looks great now!
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Haven't been at work at all this week, so I've been able to do a few bits. Even though I de-clutter as I go, things can still mount up. So I got rid of some papers, brochures and carrier bags, things like that.

I did an experiment with my eBay auctions for the jigsaws I wanted to sell, having them finish on different days and different times, to see if they get better finishing prices at different times. Conclusion - Sunday afternoon seems best, which is when I normally finish the auctions anyway!

I've done a mini sweep of my wardrobe, and pulled out a couple of things which have already been sent to recycling, and a few other bits that I'll eBay.

So the summary is

53 2 x LP’s – eBay
    54 10 Jigsaws eBay
    55 Old paperwork – recycling
    56 Carrier bags and drinks cartons – recycling
    57 2 carrying cases for old video cameras – bin
    58 Old holiday brochures – recycling
    59 4 old tops – fabric recycling
    60 1970’s cine camera – electrical recycling

I've made arrangements for someone to cut down some of our largest shrubs, so the garden will get de-cluttered.

My friend has given me another batch of stuff to sell for her on eBay. There is a lot this time, so its going to take several weeks. But I'll continue to do some of my own de-cluttering too

Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • tiny_courageous
    Options
    100 books out today, some to zapper and some to the charity shop. also 20 dvds.
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got rid of a whole carrier bag full of broken toys from my son's toy drawer the other day; looks better now cos he can see what he actually has. Also decanted a whole I*ea bag full of stuff to the CS.
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not been on for a couple of weeks and all my hard de-cluttering work has started going to pot :eek:
    The spare room is still fine, and the wardrobe but the living room & kitchen are looking a little cluttered. Will have to have a read through since I was last on and get some motivation.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family