Less than 12 weeks pregnant club! Part 4!!

Options

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    snow_ball wrote: »
    Hello there, I've been lurking on here over the weekend since getting my BFP on Saturday night, I'm trying to get the balance of excitement & caution right but I think excitement is winning :j

It's our first pregnancy after 3 months of trying and I'm a bit older, so quite nervous, I think I'm coming up to 5 weeks if my calculations are right. Phoned the docs yesterday and booked in with the midwife on 21 May.

Had a touch of queasiness this morning, which I'm dreading, but generally just feel quite tired. Sleeping well though and waking up nice and early every morning :D

Congratulations! I'm older too, was 35 with DS and 37 now :)
    I have been finding the caffeine thing quite hard, I cut out coffee a long time ago before falling pregnant so tea has been the main issue, I cut down to 2 a day but after seeing the midwife I am now down to 0. I drink one or 2 cups of decaffe and then quite a few cups of rooibos with milk as a replacement so far so good. It's the glass of wine or 1/2 a cider I'm missing :-)

Welcome Jwil, congratulations :-)

Congratulations snow_ball! I remember that stunned feeling x

Thank you! Has your midwife told you to avoid caffeine? Mine said it was fine. I don't drink it as a rule anyway, but occasionally have a can of coke.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • nightsky224
    nightsky224 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Congratulations! I'm older too, was 35 with DS and 37 now :)

Thank you! Has your midwife told you to avoid caffeine? Mine said it was fine. I don't drink it as a rule anyway, but occasionally have a can of coke.

Yeh went I went to see her for my first appointment I said that I had reduced my tea to 2 cups a day and having decaf or herbal otherwise. She said that if possible I should cut it out all together.
    I do still have chocolate every now and then and sometimes a hot chocolate but trying not to have things on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry about the odd can of coke.

She was a newly qualified midwife covering for the midwife who I will have going forward and probably being over cautious but I tried cutting it out and succeeded so am sticking with it.

I
    Recently married and loving it x
  • Diamond_Orchid
    Options
    Welcome to jwil and snowball :j

Normally I have quite a few cups of coffee through my work day (office job) so I am missing it, but it's not been too bad so far.

Is anyone else on antidepressants? I am on 50mg sertraline, lowest dose, but doc wasn't able to give me a 100% answer on chances the drug will affect my baby, though I haven't found any evidence it will and if anything, risk seems more later on and that's baby being born with some withdrawal. So agreed to try and wean myself off it if I can. Been taking a half tablet the last three nights and feeling quite sick and brain zaps.

I am worried as I got depression when I was pregnant with my son, hence going on the sertraline shortly after I had him. It has helped me a lot so I am worried about the dark thoughts coming back. If anyone has any experiences I'd be grateful if you'd share them.

I am still feeling tired and felt very sick frying some eggs tonight. Felt better once I'd eaten my dinner though.
  • snow_ball
    snow_ball Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Woke up with unpleasant cramps this morning, think it's just wind (hope!) and its easing off now, but a bit scary!

I read up on dos and donts on NHS website, caffeine is limited to 200mg(?) a day I think? Which equals 2 cups of instant coffee less if it's filter etc. I've had the occasional coffee since finding out and even bought decaf but I'll probably just cut it out completely. Think that's half the reason I was so tired yesterday.

Thanks for the lovely welcome, I'm 36 and was terrified I might not even be able to get pregnant so we're shocked but over the moon!!
  • jwil
    Options
    Welcome to jwil and snowball :j

Normally I have quite a few cups of coffee through my work day (office job) so I am missing it, but it's not been too bad so far.

Is anyone else on antidepressants? I am on 50mg sertraline, lowest dose, but doc wasn't able to give me a 100% answer on chances the drug will affect my baby, though I haven't found any evidence it will and if anything, risk seems more later on and that's baby being born with some withdrawal. So agreed to try and wean myself off it if I can. Been taking a half tablet the last three nights and feeling quite sick and brain zaps.

I am worried as I got depression when I was pregnant with my son, hence going on the sertraline shortly after I had him. It has helped me a lot so I am worried about the dark thoughts coming back. If anyone has any experiences I'd be grateful if you'd share them.

I am still feeling tired and felt very sick frying some eggs tonight. Felt better once I'd eaten my dinner though.

I don't have any experience of being on medication when pregnant (have been on it before though), but as long as your Midwife and Doc know about it, they will be hyper aware of looking for signs (as will you and your OH) so if you do find it rearing it's head again, they will be able to help quickly.
    snow_ball wrote: »
    Woke up with unpleasant cramps this morning, think it's just wind (hope!) and its easing off now, but a bit scary!

I read up on dos and donts on NHS website, caffeine is limited to 200mg(?) a day I think? Which equals 2 cups of instant coffee less if it's filter etc. I've had the occasional coffee since finding out and even bought decaf but I'll probably just cut it out completely. Think that's half the reason I was so tired yesterday.

Thanks for the lovely welcome, I'm 36 and was terrified I might not even be able to get pregnant so we're shocked but over the moon!!

My little boy was a surprise (pill) baby, and I thought I had ibs because I was getting strong cramps. I only took the test to rule out pregnancy!

You wouldn't think such a little bean could cause such huge effects on the body!
  • nightsky224
    Options
    Diamond Orchid I haven't taken antidepressants whilst pregnant but I would agree with Jwil and if you dont feel you are getting the support you need push back. Maybe there are alternatives that carry slightly less risk etc or counseling you can have to support you through the process.

I spoke to my doctor about my migraines and medication when I fell pregnant and he was rubbish, not supportive and just see how it goes. My mum pushed me to go back and saw I saw another doctor who was a lot more helpful and has prescribed me some alternative meds if needed.

I know what you mean about the food theing too, I feel sick when I cook but ok when I eat, perfect excuse to get OH cooking :-)
    Recently married and loving it x
  • Diamond_Orchid
    Options
    Thanks girls. The drug I take is in the group of the 'safest' SSRI's... Will have to see how I go. Trouble is I am getting really tired and sick at either end of the day. I am able to help the sickness by eating, so think it is the pregnancy causing the sickness, but worrying if it is withdrawal. Would rather it be the pregnancy if that makes sense.
    As if there isn't enough to worry about :(

I think I'm about 6 weeks today, going by date of ovulation. See the midwife next week, and googling '6 weeks pregnant' for images like crazy :rotfl:
  • LittleMoog
    LittleMoog Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all :) Hope everyone's doing ok? My reflux is settling down now I've got some meds, I'm ok as long as I don't bend double, though I do have to sleep on a pillow mountain!

I'm starting to get moments of nausea through the day hope it's not a sign that morning sickness is kicking in. I had it pretty badly from 7-16 weeks with my first DD. I've moved desks at work since then and I sit a lot further away from the bathroom! :eek: Also when pregnant with her I worked at home a lot on bad sickness days, but nowadays I'd have to take her to nursery first (at work!) and then go home, so I try and only do that when absolutely essential.

Still waiting to hear from midwife with booking in appointment, but still only 5+3 so plenty of time. I think I had it around 8 weeks last time.

Hope everyone's got some nice plans for the long weekend x
    Little monkey born November 2012:j
    Froglet due March 2016 :D
  • jwil
    Options
    Hey everyone :)

Diamond Orchid - hope everything works out ok. I would have thought if your sickness goes by eating then it probably is the pregnancy.

I had a scan last week as my last period was very light so the MW said we should go by the previous one instead. It turns out I am only 8 weeks - but the scan just looked like a kidney bean with a heartbeat! It was really bizarre, as at the 12 wk scan it looks like a baby. It's amazing how they develop.

Little Moog - glad your reflux is better. Hope the sickness isn't too bad.

As for me, I'm feeling very tired and sick at the moment. I've had constant nausea since just after I found out. I've not been sick too many times but the nausea doesn't go away though.

I was really ill when I had my little boy, right up until about 6 months, and was almost hospitalised, so I am thankful that however rubbish I feel at the moment, it's not as bad as then!

Have a good bank holiday weekend everyone :)
  • Diamond_Orchid
    Diamond_Orchid Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well this BH weekend and enjoying some relaxing :rotfl:

Just had a lovely BBQ in between showers, which was lush.

My sickness has really kicked in now. Had to explain to my husband AGAIN how the sickness means I may need to randomly nibble on a cracker or have some crisps to stop the nausea. He seems to forget what happened last time.

He's just come in so will continue later... :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure