We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

January 2014- Take Your Lunch To Work Thread.

Options

Comments

• Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    This month has been horribly hectic and stressful. I haven't had time to post here for ages, and I don't know what number I'm on now (probably 7) but I am trying to take my lunch to work. It's actually helpful, because it means I get to spend my lunch doing the million things I need to do, rather than just queuing to buy food.

Hi juno

Apologies if I've missed a post somewhere - hope whatever is making things sound so frantically hectic, will settle soon? Good going thought to keep trying to take lunches in to work :)
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Shortie
    Options
    so Day 10 for me - had the usual breakfast and I've just eaten my lunch of Mr T el cheapo tomato soup from my drawer stash along with 2 buttered slices from home this morning. Not a particularly healthy lunch I realise but it was comfort/soul food today and much enjoyed

I have a range of snacks in for the afternoon munchies, but I must start switching them for fruit and nuts etc as I want to start shedding some weight again after the 'Christmas Creep'

... does anyone know... semi skimmed dried milk - how does it compare healthwise to fresh? I seem to have kidded myself that my breakfast is healthy - a mix of porridge oats, dried milk and sultanas. I keep a box of it in my drawer at work and each morning I dish out an expresso cup of the mix into a bowl and top it up with 2 expresso cups of water, and microwave it. Means I don't use up the 'team tea milk' rapidly on my breakfast (which would be unfair of me) but I'm now suddenly wondering how healthy this is ...?
  • The_Moo
    The_Moo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shortie wrote: »
    ... does anyone know... semi skimmed dried milk - how does it compare healthwise to fresh? I seem to have kidded myself that my breakfast is healthy - a mix of porridge oats, dried milk and sultanas. I keep a box of it in my drawer at work and each morning I dish out an expresso cup of the mix into a bowl and top it up with 2 expresso cups of water, and microwave it. Means I don't use up the 'team tea milk' rapidly on my breakfast (which would be unfair of me) but I'm now suddenly wondering how healthy this is ...?

Semi skimmed dried milk is the same as semi skimmed from a bottle, if you make it up as directed. An espresso cup of porridge oats isn't very much - no more than 20 grams? I'd be starving! Anyway apart from the very small portion size i don't think that's unhealthy at all. The sultanas will be quite sugary but no worse than adding a spoon or two of sugar or honey.
  • The_Moo
    The_Moo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Day 7/16 for #81 today

Today's lunch is same as yesterday - chicken and cranberry sandwich (as well as two big dinners, my roast chicken has supplied four nice sandwiches!); leftover vegetarian sausage; clementines, banana.

That's the last of the chicken; I think I'll be onto my aubergine and chickpea curry tomorrow.

Well done all LTW-ers :money:
  • Shortie
    Options
    The_Moo wrote: »
    Semi skimmed dried milk is the same as semi skimmed from a bottle, if you make it up as directed. An espresso cup of porridge oats isn't very much - no more than 20 grams? I'd be starving! Anyway apart from the very small portion size i don't think that's unhealthy at all. The sultanas will be quite sugary but no worse than adding a spoon or two of sugar or honey.

Thanks The Moo :)

Yes it's not the hugest amount of porridge, but I'm not a huge fan of porridge so wouldn't eat a big bowl anyway. I eat this knowing it's super cheap, contains oats and fills a hole. That doesn't mean I'm feeling deprived when I eat it - this is a good size for me.

But agreed, by 12.30 I'm definately ready to eat my lunch :o

Hmm.. I hadn't thought about about how sugary the sultanas are... I was thinking of them being in there for the 'interest' of not being just plain porridge, but also because they could be stored in the mix for as long as the mix lasted (ie they're not a fresh fruit that would go off)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Updated to here :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As always, please yell if i have missed you out on the updates.

Juno- i put you down for 7 :)

I hope everyone is having a good month? I have been getting all of the housework done today so that i can chill out and help my son with his homework this evening.
  • slig
    slig Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    7/18 for me today, so pretty much on track. Tomorrow should be interesting though as I have ran out of my pre-prepared stuff and I don't get in until 8pm. I have the ingredients to make a batch of butternut squash soup, but will I have the energy to do so...?

I have some tortillas in the freezer, so if I don't make the soup maybe I'll fashion together some kind of quesadilla. Melted cheese, chopped red chilli from the freezer, possibly I have some olives kicking round, and I have an avocado, but I cut it open before it was ripe and I'm not sure if it's salvageable :(
    Debt at LBM (17/10/08) £5727.61 Debt free date 31/08/09
  • Broke_Kitty
    Options
    #72 I'm on 7/15 now! More Chicken curry today :D
    LBM moment Nov 2013
    Barclaycard 0% [STRIKE]£2,719.64[/STRIKE] £1,575.22 Virgin 0% [STRIKE]£3,224.00[/STRIKE] £2,533.08 MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1,994.72[/STRIKE] £2,473.53Lloyds Card 0% [STRIKE]£1740[/STRIKE] £1,260 Loan 22.80% APR [STRIKE]£3,585.63[/STRIKE] GONE:j Invisalign 0% [STRIKE]£2,493.26[/STRIKE] GONE :jOriginal Total: [STRIKE]£13,120.17[/STRIKE] Now: £7,841.43
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was having a flap about Friday's lunch...I made minestrone soup on Monday but we had guests and they ate more than I had planned for :rotfl: I have enough for tomorrow and can't face making more soup so thought I was going to have to cave and buy a sandwich.

I just remembered I've taken a HUGE gammon joint out to slow cook tomorrow, so can have gammon sandwiches on Friday, hurrah :j

Lunch today was a tin of soup and a ham sandwich, but I'm WFH so not counting it for this challenge ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport