our income... entitled to anything?

Options
Im 26 and my husband is 25, ive just starting maternity leave and will be returning to work but only for 16hrs and wondered if there was anything we would be entitled to either during mat leave or when i return to 16hrs a week after mat leave... I dont think i will be but its worth finding out.

My yearly income - 16k but its now going down the statutory maternity pay then eventually after maternity leave when i return to work.... Approx 9k a year.

My husbands yearly income- 30k

Thanks x

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The cutoff for child tax credits for one child is around £26k so even with your husbands income alone you would not qualify

Child benefit would be the only thing I can think of
  • ljs87
    ljs87 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for reply.

Yes first child. I thought so. Think its only child support i will get.

X
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Your husbands makes more than 10% over the national average wage so expecting something more than child benefit is a bit optimistic!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • ljs87
    ljs87 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Your husbands makes more than 10% over the national average wage so expecting something more than child benefit is a bit optimistic!

Yes i do agree, im being really optimistic. But ive had family and friends tell me to look into it anyway. Theres no way the goverment support working couples and families anyway.... And if they do its pennies... Unless you've never worked a day in your life. But child benefit is better than nothing!
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ljs87 wrote: »
    Yes i do agree, im being really optimistic. But ive had family and friends tell me to look into it anyway. Theres no way the goverment support working couples and families anyway.... And if they do its pennies... Unless you've never worked a day in your life. But child benefit is better than nothing!

I really don't understand that point...
    If couples choose to have children then it's not only their choice, the child becomes their responsibility.
    The Government of the day (Lib/Lab/Con/whatever...) should have no reason to support that couple's decision financially.

There are many couples that delay having a family until they can support their family unit...as it should be.

I've absolutely no objections to paying taxes to support those that find themselves in dire need through no choice of their own.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    ljs87 wrote: »
    Theres no way the goverment support working couples and families anyway.... And if they do its pennies... Unless you've never worked a day in your life.

They do but the help is limited to working families on a low income and have thus decided that £39K household income is sufficient to raise a child without needing benefits.

I've worked since I was 16 and I do get some help from tax credits but that's because my income is less than yours and I have three children.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Not sure what relevance that has to anything - plenty of people earning well above average wage get tax credits. Eligibility depends on a combination of circumstances.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    If couples choose to have children then it's not only their choice, the child becomes their responsibility.
    The Government of the day (Lib/Lab/Con/whatever...) should have no reason to support that couple's decision financially.
    :rotfl:The govt have always supported children (at least in living memory), and always will.
    There are many couples that delay having a family until they can support their family unit...as it should be.

I've absolutely no objections to paying taxes to support those that find themselves in dire need through no choice of their own.
    As long as you're not the sort of hypocrite who'll expect any state support in retirement (pension, bus pass, winter fuel allowance, NHS etc), paid for by the taxes of the children you object to supporting now.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    youre being a little unfair.
    no one objects to supporting the nations children by paying for their healthcare, education etc.

they are supported in exactly the same way as pensioners and that is the benchmark of a civilised country.

what many object to, is people having children that they can afford to provide the ESSENTIALS ( food, clothing, housing) for without additional help

the OP will not receive this, as they are in a position to provide for their child independantly
  • M0ney
    M0ney Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NYM wrote: »

You speak a lot of non-sense we are taxed through our incomes and in other ways to support our society and I'm sorry if you don't think that families and children are an important part of society. Hard working families on a low income families should be supported more and not be taxed into poverty like they currently are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure