Goals for 2014

Options

Comments

• sugartree
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Gym, I will contact Mortgage Co to find out minimum and see how I go from there as currently still on IO. Slightly scared to go to repayment so feel the extra payments is better than nothing.

1, Make an overpayment of £1.5k on the mortgage (planning to make call to Mortgage Co)
    2, Decorate & tile my bathroom, bedroom and DS's Bedroom......(and potty train and get him into a big boys bed!)
    3, replace guttering
    4, Declutter (ongoing with 2 kids!) Managed to clear out the kids drawer and add that to current black bag in wardrobe waiting to go to Cash4clothes. Mentally noting the other stuff that needs to be sorted and where it's going.

On a personal level;

5, Get a better camera (saving up swagbucks, surveys etc for this) and get more involved with photography. Still trying to read the Mag I bought (DS currently hard work with the "2's", I also realised how I found my DD hard work at the same age and was actually a dream and still is. Can't wait for little man to find sitting on the sofa with a book more fun than diving off the sofa or throwing a book)
    6, Finally have a family holiday even if it's just 4 days on a Sun Deal. Have coupon 2!
    7, continue walking through and visiting the local country side.
    8, Volunteer, even if it's not regular......#

Will also be ringing DVLA about Driving Licence.

Good Luck on Wk 2 everyone. :D
    Back to school for DD and off to work tomorrow, I'm hoping this will save money on days out and get us all back to normal. I love Xmas but once January hits i look forward to spring.
    Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......with the kids, pets and LOTS of books.........
    £2020 in 2020 challenge #90 - £274.37/£2020
    2020 penny challenge

• greeniethemeanie
    greeniethemeanie Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 January 2014 at 12:32AM
    Options
    Great thread.

May I share a few tips.
    Firstly make your goals measurable so that when you look back in a year you know how you did. So say what you want to weigh as lose 10lbs is only measurable if you know where you started. A savings or repayment goal can be specified in numbers.
    2) Can you take the decision away from yourself? Standing order for a money goal. Somebody else policing your eating habits?
    3) Are you trying to do too much at once? Can you for example lose weight and quit smoking?
    4) Can you do it a small step at a time.
    5) Can one goal support another? A drinking or smoking goal may support a spending or savings goal.
    I am not trying to be a smart alec and have full respect for all the well-intentioned and honest goals shared in the posts. I want you to succeed and I know from both success and failure what it takes.
  • tiny_courageous
    Options
    1) Survive on maternity leave without getting into any more debt. Not touched the savings yet
    2) following on from that, get the debt down to sub 3k by the end of the year (currently 6k) waiting for payday to make next payment
    3) Lose 2 stone well I haven't had any chocolate today...
    4) Ebay 10 things a month 8 things listed and another sold through facebook
    5) Only buy things I need went to the village today and only got things that were needed for the house.
    6) Do the £100 on clothes for the year challenge £20odd in so far
  • sugartree
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Greenie and good luck tiny. x
    Oh I do want to live in Countryside.......with the kids, pets and LOTS of books.........
    £2020 in 2020 challenge #90 - £274.37/£2020
    2020 penny challenge

• DebtClearer
    Options
    1. Clear £6k of debts
    2. Save £600 towards House Deposit

This will be the year I get things back on track after a few messy ones! If I achieve this I will be in a much much better position!
    Debtfree!

• cupcakequeen88
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and am hoping its ok to post here. I have just bought a house with my partner and we will have our first mortgage next month. My goals for 2014 are:

1. exercise at least 3 times a week to lose weight
    2. create and stick to a budget
    3. Overpay at least a small amount every month on our mortgage.
    Taking on my first mortgage in 2014
  • in_need_of_direction
    in_need_of_direction Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 February 2014 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Hi, just found this thread and hope I'm not too late to join in. My LBM was June last year but it taken to now to try and apply some structure to the goals
    1. Get sugar control (I'm diabetic)
    2. Work out what I need in a savings pot and go for it
    3. Make mortgage overpayments equivalent to 3x monthly payment
    4. Lose weight. Weighed in at 14.5 stone on 01 jan. Am aiming for 14 stone by 01 march
    5. Declutter
    6. Take garden in hand
    7. Start 'flylady' daily routines
    8. Get rid of ugly clothes bought because they fit and not cos they were nice.
    9. Appreciate my home and make it nicer
    10.be more disciplined in my job
    11. Be more consistent in dealing with others
    12. Be less wasteful
    13. Donate
    14. Volunteer
    15. Cook more

War and peace could probably continue here as there's so much to do on so many fronts. Hopefully this will however get me admission to the fat and skint club!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick update after my first week

- Pay off secured loan before I am made redundant in the summer. This is a biggy! my redundancy may be happening earlier than I thought so this may not be possible without using my redundancy pot:(
    - Find a new challenging job with a salary that begins with a 3 will start to look when i know what is happening with secondment
    - Lose half a stone as i am a healthy weight i think this is more about toning up and losing my flabby belly;)
    - Exercise at least twice a week and keep up the fell walking which I love walked twice last week:)
    - Clear the 2 CC DH and I took out this year and get rid
    - Save £5k once sec paid off and think £3k is more realistic
    - Overpay mortgage by £2k once sec paid off
    - Run 5k if dodgy back allows if not sort out dodgy back increasing miles I walk first
    - DS to sleep all night in his own bed then get dry at night
    - Improve my diet by eating more f&v and ensuring 100% GF on a budget increased my average from 2 portions to 3 this week
    - Stick to a food budget, our biggest area of overspending having a use up month with a tiny budget for fresh stuff
    - Start writing my first e-book Made some notes of the outline
    - Think about/research starting a blog on same subject as e-book
    - Visit/walk/do everything on mine and DH '50 places to visit' list for 2014. Done the first one yesterday:)

I have quite a lot of goals on my list so I am going to focus on the saving up to clear the loan and looking after myself through maintaining the exercise/walking and improving my diet.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • sexyshark
    sexyshark Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    mine are

1) to keep my bedroom clean and tidy
    2) to get a control of my spending
    3) to pay off a big chunk of my debts
    Sealed pot member 095 SPC No 7 £578.32
    sealed pot No 8 Target £750 TOTAL £1059.86:j
    sealed pot no 9 Target £1200 TOTAL £1073.38:cool:
    sealed pot no 10 Target £1200 TOTAL £1209
    sealed pot No 11 target £1250 total £TBC
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fab thread!!!

1. Save £5000 (want to buy a house so this will be a start) still not started but job hunt is on the go applied for a receptionist position today closing date 9/1/14 so should hear soon.
    2. Weigh 10st 7lbs (long long longgggggggg road). Started back on my diet today it is goin well & I will get to target weight by the end of 2014.
    3. Get into exercise (I am a lazy sod). I am still a lazy sod!
    4. Keep to my shopping budget (Not good at this at all) managed it this week & stayed under by around £11.00.
    5. Get a job (This should probably have been number 1! Oops yeah have applied this morning for a job.
    6. Pass my driving test (Theory passes 13th December 2013). Had my 3rd test this morning & started my manoeuvres I LOVED it! Reversed around a corner, turned in the road & parallel parked I am so chuffed!!! Next 2/3 lessons will just be perfecting everything I have learned & will add in hill starts then he will start doin mock tests. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I will be driving soon.

Goals update.

Dxxx

Wee update today.

Dxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business