*Stop The Cavalry* It's The 2014 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• pixtotts
    Options
    MrsSave - the frames sound brilliant! And I may just have to give some fudge a go :)

Arthien -Thanks for the fudge links :) and the icing sugar tip ;)

freespirit66 - ooooh baileys and amaretto fudge now they sound good!

Fudge is definitely a go this year, fudge and truffles :)

I am not a happy bunny :( 12 months ago exactly! lil sis birthday last year (which was yesterday), I was bawling my eyes out and gargling whiskey to try and stop tooth ache, ended up needing a root canal. Well today my tooth has broken :'( I am not a happy bunny! My little sister had the same dentist as me, just been and had an appointment with a new one who has said all her fillings need re doing. Now it's got me wondering if my tooth has broken because the dentist made a dodgy job of mine too :(
    x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
  • freespirit66
    Options
    PIXTOTTS oh no poor you, i havent been for around 10 years, i just cant afford it, its ridiculous, my DS went a couple of weeks ago and had to have 3 tiny tiny fillings on the front of 2 top teeth, so that plus xrays and the first appointment and a hygienist appt cost him £350 :eek::eek: and the flipping hygienist said his teeth didnt really need an appt with her as there was barely any plaque on them :mad: didnt get a blooming discount though :mad: i just hope and pray i dont need to go again (ive probably jinxed it now) hope you get it sorted soon
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    04624181 wrote: »
    Last year the card factory did some lovely elves for 99p each.
    my laptop is playing up but if you google card factory elf and search images they come up. They had red and grenn and they are so cute xxx
    Ooh will keep my eye out. Loved the gingerbread man they did last year too.
    I bought one of these last week from this seller. Going to introduce him to our classroom on 1st December :) He's quite cute. Would have liked him in the red for my own house though as the seller mentions but will make do lol Have the seller saved just incase they do list a red one though:o

Edit. Would help if I posted a link :rotfl::p http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-elf-plush-perfect-for-Elf-on-the-Shelf-/221541699216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3394ea0e90
    thanks ;)
    fluffy sox...
    i have got my elf from the famous socil media site a page called the magical elf
    they may not be the most cost effective but the thought put into them is fab x
    They are gorgeous!!! Will have a look at their website when. I can. ;)
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • kayandy_2
    Options
    Hey I can't remember who asked but they sell coloured coins in quality save they have some for the girls and some for boys! Although like I've said quality save and home bargains have the same stuff for the same price!! At my shop we are starting to sneak in Xmas bits upto now we have christmas shopping lists with magnetic backs in for 29p each and wrapping paper etc!! We also have a lot of gift sets etc in and a cute knitting set in with the rrp of 15.99 for 4.99!!

My Xmas shopping isn't going very well ATM as I'm sorting stuff out for when I move into my flat haha although I am looking out for any offers on sky landers! I'm making my aunty one of the scrabble frames! I've started it now just need to get it finnished! Haha!

Hope everyone is doing okay! Although I've never suffered from postnatal depression I have had severe depression and had to have counciling etc! I still have bad day but nowhere near as bad as they were and I'm no longer on tabs so if you ever need to talk :)
    :santa2: :rudolf:
    :D
  • Dollypop_2
    Options
    PIXTOTTS oh no poor you, i havent been for around 10 years, i just cant afford it, its ridiculous, my DS went a couple of weeks ago and had to have 3 tiny tiny fillings on the front of 2 top teeth, so that plus xrays and the first appointment and a hygienist appt cost him £350 :eek::eek: and the flipping hygienist said his teeth didnt really need an appt with her as there was barely any plaque on them :mad: didnt get a blooming discount though :mad: i just hope and pray i dont need to go again (ive probably jinxed it now) hope you get it sorted soon

There is a dental training hospital in our city and you can register there if you don't have a dentist, you are seen by final year dental students but it's all checked by a qualified dentist, it takes a bit longer than a 'normal' dentist but there's no charge at all. It's not just for emergencies, you can register there as a patient like any other dentist! Maybe there is something similar near you :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 September 2014 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Anyone after lego there's a 600 piece set reduced to £9-99 in Asda
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lego-creative-building-cube-600-piece-brick-box-10681-9-50-store-asda-26-99-amazon-1997724

Bodyshop offer 40% off free delivery and a free gift with orders over £5
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/body-shop-40-off-free-delivery-free-gift-5-spend-1997634
  • mrsinvisible
    Options
    Just lost a longish post, as l am just learning how to use this tablet(not ip*d but similar)and as l am untechy it has given me headaches!
    Sorry anyone having a hard time, probably my fault, l seem to be responsible for everything from a late bus to global warming, hey ho, broad shoulders.
    Seriously, tho, hope things improve quickly for everyone.
    Today l need to vvsit my beauty therapist friend, she has decided that her business is not viable and needs to find a job, then visit one of my wrinklie ftiends who has resigned as chair of our social club, and is upset about it. She resigned because of the carp she was getting constantly from 2 or 3 members, and as a result the club is likely to fold.
    If the weather stays good l might go foraging blackites for the freezer and some jam, also have found a crabapple tree that needs culled.
    now l will don my lion tamers outfit and get dgs up for school. Wish me luck, xxx
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options

Freespirit, I used to work in NHS Commissioning and your DS (and anyone else) should be able to have most basic treatment by a dentist under the NHS which would mean a cost of about £55ish for check-up and up to four fillings. Have a look here http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/find-an-NHS-dentist.aspx
    Unfortunately a lot of dentists have stopped taking NHS patients (don't get me started on that one) so if you can't find a dentist taking NHS patients near you, contact the local NHS Local Area Team (the link should be on the page I've linked to above).
    Obviously this won't help if you want to be treated by a specific dentist and they don't do NHS work. My own dentist, who I liked, recently stopped NHS treatment but I was able to switch to another dentist in the same surgery and she's really nice too.
    Hope this helps for future visits anyway.

Feisty might have more info if she's around.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • pixtotts
    Options
    freespirit66 - Wow thats expensive I'd be looking at a new dentist!! I paid nowhere near that much.

"There are three NHS charge bands:
    Band 1: £18.50 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
    Band 2: £50.50 covers all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
    Band 3: £219 covers all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

If, within two months of completing a course of treatment, you need more treatment from the same charge band or a lower one – such as another filling – you don't have to pay anything extra.
    However, after two months of completing a course of treatment , you will have to pay the NHS charge Band (listed above) for any dental treatment received. "

x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dollypop wrote: »
    There is a dental training hospital in our city and you can register there if you don't have a dentist, you are seen by final year dental students but it's all checked by a qualified dentist, it takes a bit longer than a 'normal' dentist but there's no charge at all. It's not just for emergencies, you can register there as a patient like any other dentist! Maybe there is something similar near you :)

I second going to a dental hospital if you can! My dentist kept repairing my tooth, and never seemed to fix it for longer than a few months. After having the same tooth treated for the same problem over 3 years and each time the filling was getting bigger and bigger, I got a massive infection in it just before August bank holiday in 2013. I got an emergency appointment & put on antibiotics to clear it. But the pain was so much that after 3 days (now the Sunday) I ended up going to A&E to get painkillers strong enough to work as nothing I had at home relieved it and they told me to go to the dental hospital the next day. I did that, the dentist took an x-ray & discovered the infection was still there despite the strong antibiotics I was on. They said they could do me a root canal or as a last resort they would remove it as so much of my tooth was filling. I didn't bat an eyelid when I said "Just take it out! Forget repairing it, I'd rather give birth to an elephant with no pain relief than leave it in any longer!" :rotfl::rotfl: It took a while, but they were great especially as I had DD with me (who is now petrified of dentists after seeing what they did to me) and its encouraged her to look after her teeth better ;)It was the best decision I've ever made and a year on I only go back to the dentist for check ups now :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport