Forum Home» Phones & TV

TalkTalk Speedy Payment Discount - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

TalkTalk Speedy Payment Discount

edited 21 December 2013 at 9:16PM in Phones & TV
44 replies 15.3K views

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    22.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will take your account outstanding balance by DD on the due date, as the balance is £0.00 they will not take anything.
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    15.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    linni wrote: »
    I've just paid mine and I got a confirmation email saying '

I hope they don't take it...
    They haven't with me - they just mean future payments (if you don't use the speedy discount next time).
  • beansybeansy Forumite
    410 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    molerat wrote: »
    My bill e-mail arrived this afternoon and there is a link for 15% speedy payment discount if you pay within 24 hours of the e-mail arrival. Cracking deal as it can be paid with a credit card. Happy to forego my 123 3% from Santander of 24p to get a 15% discount of £1.20 +1% on my card plus the money sitting in my 123 account earning 2.7% for another 20 days, a total saving of £1.04p over paying by DD.

Now the bad bit. The e-mail was timed at 1415 today. I clicked the link at 1615 and got the message that I had missed the speedy payment deadline. :mad:

Now the good bit. Phoned TT customer care and was told that the bill was issued yesterday but as I received the e-mail today he would give me £3 off my bill and take the reduced DD at the normal time. It looks like they may be aware that they have a system issue but are covering it well if you bother to complain.

My first contact their cs and very well handled, now I wonder how my EE broadband cancellation billing fiasco is getting on :(

Hi, another one who doesn't read her bills !!! Will certainly be watching out for my next bill at the end of this month LOL.

Thank you.
    :T:j:beer:
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    487 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have used this process successfully twice. To be sure that the transactions have worked OK, I logged on to "My Account" and looked at the transaction history. Here the discount is shown as a payment towards the monthly bill, and the card payment of the balance (discounted amount) is clearly shown also.

The bill notification e-mail does come a couple of days after the bill becomes visible on-line, but the discount "window" is based on the timing of the e-mail.
  • kezzygirlkezzygirl Forumite
    738 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I noticed this when I received my bill this month...I thought it was a joke or scam!!will definately pay early next month!!!
  • They've had some sort of problem or system work or something so I didn't get notification that my bill was ready. Phoned and complained and got a £5 credit.
  • johnniegifjohnniegif Forumite
    122 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good for you Breamoreboy.

I have used Speedy Payments for the last two months and smiled every time I saved £3-ish.
  • edited 2 May 2014 at 2:04PM
    Steve059Steve059 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 May 2014 at 2:04PM
    I've just used this (albeit for the first time, as they haven't exactly gone out of their way to advertise it) and, much to my surprise, it seems to have worked without any evidence of their talent for never failing to disappoint.

But, what is going to happen when your Direct Debit isn't used for 13 months and the bank cancels it? See http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/Pages/InactiveDirectDebits.aspx

Or, is TalkTalk getting 13 consecutive things right too much to expect?
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • edited 10 May 2014 at 11:33PM
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2014 at 11:33PM
    There is also a potential problem for customers with Halifax Reward current account, or similar.

One of the conditions is that you pay two different Direct Debits during the previous month.

So, if you only have two DDs, one of which is to TalkTalk, and use the SPD instead of this DD, you won't get your £5 "Reward".

However, there is a solution. Set up a third DD to yourself, ie. a savings or even a Paypal account, for a minimum of £1.00.
  • edited 10 May 2014 at 11:32PM
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2014 at 11:32PM
    Update.

The BACS/DD people have confirmed that, if a DD is inactive for at least 13 months, the bank/building society can cancel it. There is no requirement for them to advise the customer. They should advise the originator, ie.TalkTalk. The originator should then check whether the account involved is still active. If it is, then the originator should re-activate the DD.

Also, if the relative timings of all this mean that a DD is requested and refused because it's been cancelled, then the originator shouldn't raise an "unpaid item fee".

So, if the SPD works as well as we all want it to, TT are going to have to do this for every participating customers' DD at least every 13 months.

What could possibly go wrong?

TT are now aware of this "time bomb". I'll keep you posted.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support