Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy your unexpected free time :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm trying to stay up late enough so that I don't wake up at 5am!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm trying to stay up late enough so that I don't wake up at 5am!

Are you still awake?
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    XSpender wrote: »
    Are you still awake?

No chance :rotfl:! Think I made it to about 9.30... I did wake up at 5 something - cos I needed the loo - but then dozed until my alarm at 7.

Will have breakfast, call the home and then plan the day.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope that you got to see your mum and that the d and v is gone from the residence?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I got to see mum. She was rather upset again, but hadn't had her breakfast at that point. She is forgetting more. Topics that we would talk about happily are no longer available, so I need to keep thinking hard. Big sis still suggests taking mum out to the woods, but I'm still not 'ready' for all that that involves.

Big sis was due to arrive on the day I left, but because we kept each other up to date with what the home had said to us, she decided not to travel. The bug could re-appear at any point and close it again. She'll go down next w/end instead. However, in the course of our several conversations, I did realise that big sis is also fragile. She did say to me that I didn't need to go and see mum on the sat morning; but I'd told dd that I was going and although dd doesn't want to visit gma herself, she wants me to see her and tell her how she is. And I'm not prepared to lie to her about this!

We had a lovely lunch out today at some friends' house. It was just us and them, which was great for 'proper' conversation :D. And as soon as we got home, dd's friend appeared, so she played out for a while. I got to see the last 30 mins of the rugby and then went for a 20 min walk. It's very windy out there today!

We've agreed to swap over dd's room and the spare room /office /guest room over the summer. The idea alternately excites me and scares me as we have so much gubbins around the place. I told dd that every so often we must chose a drawer or other place and do a clear out, instead of leaving it until the summer. And I'll do the same for my stuff. I'm hoping that this'll infect dh... For starters, I've filled a bag tonight, just by scratching the surface of a few areas in my bedroom :j.

Off to get dd to bed. We all have a busy week ahead and will need our beauty sleep. Probably not the best week to start removing stuff...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Challenging times for you, apple, and it sounds like you're meeting them. I remember the difficulty of finding things to talk about with my dad, even though it's a while ago now. One answer is to have photos on the walls, or photo albums to hand. Another is the ornaments around. He and my mum never did jigsaws, so that was never an option, but other people liked them. Are there any crafts that your mum used to do that she could still do now? Though there might be health and safety with some of them :( The other thing was CDs! It could be DVDs now, of course. Singalong, of course :)
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Thank you for those ideas karma. Mum is constantly packing to leave and most of her things are in a case and a bag. Any photos are liable to be ripped when she is cross (that she can't remember doing and then she is cross that 'someone else' has been through her things and destroyed them). I did have some photos this time, but thry didn't do their usual triggering-memories job.

Re crafts, her world shrank so quickly that these have simply gone. She'd knit, sew, do jigsaws, read, write. But doesn't/cannot do them now. I've found that if I have some knitting or sewing with me and take it out to do, then it seems to relax her - it seems to messgae that I'm staying for a bit.

I used to really dread going to see her as she was inevitably totally and utterly miserable and I was unable to do anything to help her move out of it. Now, it's less bad. And I realise that seeing me triggers memories of dad (sort of) which triggers the utter extreme grief of missing him - because she has no idea of how long ago he died and how much she has grieved for him already.

There are times that we have a jolly time together, just not so much recently. It is such a cruel, cruel illness.

In other news, dh and I were due to go to our local harv3ster early this afternoon, to use up the remaining £6.22 on a gift card. We were going to just have puds or coffees. But the wind and pelting rain were so bad that we cried off. The cheapest pud was around £5, so we'd've been paying a fair amount on top of that. And we were only going to use up the credit as it runs out tomorrow. I was feeling bad about not using it - as it's free money - but I no longer do!

The new fence panels/wood are due to arrive tomorrow. Yay! Am sooo excited about getting that fence done...

Dd and have been through her 'collection' of duvet covers and many are going. She has also consented to the megablox going. And wants to sell her collection of Ra1nb0w Magic books - about 150 of them...
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Took 2 bags to the sally army today; 2 more already filled. Bought more compost plus a massive bag of tatties from liddle.

The fence stuff arrived, and I'm glad that dh was home. The way the houses are set up, we're 30m from the road, so the delivery guy had to put stuff there and we moved it. We got him to drop it nearer the gate out the back and were able to take it straight to the garden. The bags of concrete were heavy and the panels needed both of us. It seemed such a small job originally!

Out soon for dd's parents eve meeting. Not expecting any surprises...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Taking delivery of those sorts of things is a job in itself.

Positive vibes for this evening :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport