We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Apple muncher's number crunching

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We have been for food, and still have change on the gift card! We went for the 2 courses for 8.99, plus drinks. We drove there and back, despite it only being 1 mile, as the weather is so grotty today. And are both absolutely stuffed full, having not had a post-prandial walk home... I now have 90 mins before going to collect dd.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have been for food, and still have change on the gift card! We went for the 2 courses for 8.99, plus drinks. We drove there and back, despite it only being 1 mile, as the weather is so grotty today. And are both absolutely stuffed full, having not had a post-prandial walk home... I now have 90 mins before going to collect dd.

That sounds like the perfect opportunity to have had a post-lunch snooze! :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Hairspray was wonderful. First time I've seen it. And not too loud and in-yer-face. Dh dropped us off and picked us up, which was lovely.

We all had a bit of a lie-in this morning, and I am currently the only one who is (half) dressed. That is only because I went for a run, so have showered and changed. I guess that technically, I've been dressed twice already... I managed 2.5 miles, still v stop and start. And rather muddy! But it is now done. And I can wear my smug face.

Dd has 2 dance exams today. Then next week her lesson times shift and will be later, which will mean that she -and I - can actually eat lunch before going.

I have found a strongman programme on the telly and am going to mooch on mse with a coffee. Perfick.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    A very lazy day has been had.

I eventually got up at 7.30 as dh's phoned had chirped and then he was snoring, so I had no chance of snoozing. At 9, I was getting bored on my own, so woke dd and dh :D. Plus, we leave for church around 10 and I didn't want to have to rush.

Once home and fed, we watched rugby x2 (chromecast yesterday's one), then had the tv on as background for a while. I managed to make a loaf, using a bread mix that was only 2+ years out of date. But it worked a treat! I also made some of twinks hobnobs - just a half quantity, as the recipe makes so many.

A wash was done and some knitting was knitted (time to drop the knitting for a couple of days as both wrists are v achey, and it's not the arthritis this time...)

Still reading through the Live on £4K thread from 2008. Up to April so far... It'll be aaaages before I make it to the 2019 thread... Tho maybe they get repetitive and samey? I want to be reading the part where frugaldom achieves the dream that is the reason behind such frugalness.

Did my shoulder exercises three times through. An improvement. Phew. Am hoping to beable to cancel the next appt - it's 2 weeks away...
    !
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have you just started running again after your injuries and having the car etc. How is it going? I think you have a right to the smug face!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    'Running' is certainly poshing up my waddling, earthie! I have to be v careful of my right knee, which is the grumpier of the two, so try to only run on grass. I've not run today after counselling, as I just didn't feelup to it (it is a b-i-g hill to get up, 33 floors according to my fitbit), so I walked v briskly up said hill. And have had a 20min swim tonight, when dd had her lesson.

Having discovered that dd can go swimming for FREE at any time, as we pay for her lessons via DD, she wants to go more often. I am seriously considering joining and getting a membership. 1 swim= £4.10, so 4x=£16.40. The monthly fee would be 26.50, so would need 7 visits. The place only has a pool and a smallish weights/cardio room at the mo (no classes or anything like that). However, the council are building a whopping great big leisure centre right next door to it and I am wondering if those who hold a membership when it opens will get any preferential rates... If I join, I can also use the weights area and would get a couple of 1-to-1 sessions. I'm not honestly sure that I'd use the weights as I have worked out at home for so many years... So maybe I need to consider this purely on a swimming basis... After all, would I really do 3 extra swims per month? Every month? And...the place is about 3 miles away and would require a special effort to go, as it's not en route to anywhere I go.

I am now going to visit mum at the end of this week, as half term is filling up and if dd came, she'd want to stay there 2 nights, which aint gonna work as big sis is now coming down to use us as a hotel...

Still working through 2008 Live on 4K. Still thoroughly enjoying it. Up to April so far...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good to work through the options about the swimming - I'm writing down my thoughts on the finances constantly on the thread, its so valuable that way - and to get feedback, and see where you were a month ago.

I haven't read through the 4k thread - might skim some of that, check for useful bits :)

Have a good one, apple :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 5,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I might go and look out for that thread too ...when I've caught up with folk here :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I talked myself out of a gym membership as there are so many ways of exercising for free. And I added it up over the year!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I might go and look out for that thread too ...when I've caught up with folk here :)
    earthgirl wrote: »
    I talked myself out of a gym membership as there are so many ways of exercising for free. And I added it up over the year!

Watty - I'm still on June 2008!! Think it'll take me all year to get to 2019...:rotfl:

Earthie - I'm not going for the gym membership. Had it been £20 (or less :D) I'd've jumped at it, but it isn't, so I'm not. And I just loved today's run in some woods. Still only 2.5miles. Still very slow. Still me ending up like a beetroot. But sooooo much fun!

My half term has begun. I took in loads of sweets for my y10s - raided dd's sweetie 'cupboard' with her permission and was able to cater for nut allergy, milk protein allergy, veggie and coeliac. A job well done!

My hands and wrists ache so much today, and are rather painful. Why oh why? A combination of: not taking my tablets for the arthritis, eating sugar after several days of being sugar-free, having sweeties and cake today, doing far too much knitting of dd's mouse sock, marking (yes, seriously, gripping a pen is bad!)...

Off to see mum tomorrow. But I've not yet booked the flat, oops. Must do that before I travel...

We are now paying interest on our mortgage. Humph. We'd moved money around and now do not have it offset. Even dh was slightly aghast!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback