Apple muncher's number crunching

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    Options
    Discovered that my church is running a craft event at the end of november, so it's another outlet for my makes. I might need a little focus now! But first I need to finish of the ones i'm in the middle of...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Good to hear you're feeling better AM, hopefully a good night's sleep will see you right!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    So, how is October shaping up?

Having just been through food poisoning, I'm not up to anything ambitious...

First of all, the NST October challenge by thriftylass:
    NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

The cosy autumnal season has begun. The blankets and slippers have come out as well as the comforting cups of hot tea at night. I have made a fair few positive changes these last few months (going to the gym regularly again, eating healthy, found that intermittent fasting does me good, taking more me time etc) but those two vices still persist.

Hence, my husband and I decided to do Stoptober (stop smoking) and GoSober October (obvious).

So, there is a challenge for all of you. We unfortunately have rather nasty vices to get rid of but is there anything you could change to the positive or give up for October? It takes at least 21 days to change a habit or form a new one, let’s tick one off in October. Don’t wait till Monday, next week, after half term, the new year. Start NOW.

Otherwise the usual turtle way applies: aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

I have to admit I pinched some of following guidelines from a previous post as they were spot on.

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 1st October. If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Have you planned ahead for half term (if appropriate)? Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activities where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Improvise. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer.

Exercise Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

Christmas I know it’s a bit early to mention the C-word as Halloween hasn’t even passed yet (not that the shops mind). I started a gift list and started buying little things on the way to spread the cost and I know a few of you do this over the course of the year. I fyou don’t start now. Even if you don’t buy anything yet start planning to avoid the last minute dash.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family members or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas. If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.

If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

Banned Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

Extra Income Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

Report in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it.

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES AND DON’T WAIT DO IT NOW.

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

My challenge is to live a more primal lifestyle. To continue the process I started in September.

Numbers?
    22 days not at work
    21 Headspace
    21 KB swing challenge??? (really not sure)
    21 day Primal Blueprint challenge (esp keep off the sugar and don't scoff the 85% choc)
    21 days of reading
    15 NSDs
    9 days at work
    3 visits to the counsellor
    3 dance classes
    1 Kids klub
    1 sec sch applic
    1 dd assembly
    1 clock change
    see mum
    half term
    craft copiously

Gosh, a rather long post... Let's see how it pans out in 31 days' time.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I had 10 hours of pretty solid sleep last night. Much needed and much appreciated. Shame I have to go to work tomorrow - Mondays are always hard work, plus I have epipen training afterwards. But that is training I do need, so worth doing rather than postponing and trying to fit it in at another date.

Off to sew up some santas...
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Santas still unsewn, but 5 bunnies have a set of clothes, and 5 firemen + 6 policemen are finished. Total for the month = 23.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Took dd on a tour of another school today. Can't wait for all the forms to be completed, all the individual entrance exams done (cos we aint in their catchment area) and then we can sit back and wait for the school lottery to do its thing.

Thought I'd have a mega crafting day but have yet to start - pesky school stuff, it's taken hours to get my head around it all! Plus realising that I have a manic day ahead on Thurs which requires a fair bit of prep. Dh has done some juggling of his commitments, but it'll be a mad day for us both. And dd.

However, I now have an hour or so before dd gets home so the telly is on and I really should get stuffing / cutting out / sewing up... Crafting is supposed to be therapeutic and relaxing, not another chore!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Am still at work . Sigh. But I do have cake. Phew.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Am home. Phew.

Did some online training. Attended VI form info eve. Was nice to peopke. Did some sewing. My nose is now nearly normal. Result.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Went out for a good walk with dh after dropping dd at school this morning. We went up and through the woods to the ch shop area. We started off in mist and ended up in sunshine.

I was on the lookout for clothing for mum in the ch shops, as much of what she wears is very very old and getting threadbare as it is washed more thoroughly - and frequently - than it used to be. I came away with a long-sleeved blouse, tee-shirt and cardi for her. (Can now go and order some other bits off C0tt0n traders without feeling like I am wasting her money). I have a smart vest top for work and a snuggly joules sweat top. We also found 3 dvds and a book for dd, and some leather bracelets that dd can give me for cmas. And a book that dh ordered from amzn for himself for cmas has arrived. Spent 15 on mum, and 8 credit and 5.50 cash on the rest.

Off to place a CT order and scare myself with how much new things cost!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    This morning's drizzle gave way to heavy rain. Next door's washing is out - and they must be too, otherwise it wouldn't be there - so dd went and collected it in, all sopping wet. It is now having a quick wash in our machine and we'll get it dry overnight. Dd has also dropped a note through their door telling them that we have their washing - it's not been stolen! All her idea.

One entrance exam done this morning; 3 dances classes attended; and a relaxing afternoon in progress. I'm happy to have found some rugby on the box - it was a good game to watch.

20 hanging houses are mostly sewn up; 10 need windows and door; all of them need their roof attaching, plus a hanging ribbon.

Had aching knees today (arthritic one started playing up 5 days ago). I am noticing a connection between the aches and the weather. So I've just had a wonderful deep epsom salts bath. Bliss!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback