Apple muncher's number crunching

Options

Comments

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I agree apple, sounds like a lovely frugal day.

I've just caught up as back at work now :( pleased you are having such a good time and enjoying so many free/cheap things!

Pleased your toe should be improving too.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today was so not a cheap day at the hairdressers. However, both dd and I love our new styles, so I guess it is worth it:D.

And the ch shops gave me some as-new MBTs for a tenner, a rain jacket for dd for £2, and a couple of equestria girls dolls that we'd not seen before for another £2.

The bacon went down surprisingly well :j. Not an everyday food, but one we can add to the list.

I am trying to stretch my toe out every night. It bends perfectly well at the base joint, but hardly at all if I try to scrunch up my toe. Which also causes immense pain, so the motivation to do it is hard to come by ... That said, it does not hurt the following day, so is doing no harm.

Tickets have been purchased to go and visit big sis. Looking forward to it!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Week 10/12

Health: have been stretching my toe in the hope that it will eventually ease up and flex a little more. Much better eating. Some exercise - 3 workouts and a swim - but much less walking.

Wealth: a yikes visit to the hairdresser yesterday. Minimal spends in Lunnon on tues. Only bught food when at mum's. Went swimming on fri. Travel costs have been rather big, especially compared with a normal week. Some ch shop bargains found. After next week, there will be far less travelling.

Life well lived: it has been 'a good week'. Lovely time with niece joining us in Lunnon; good time with mum; plenty of together time with dd. A busy week, but not overly so. Plenty of crafting / sewing done.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    We are oop norf, in big sis and BIL's attic. Well, the Hogwarts owls will know where to find us...

Thank you MWC for the reminder about the HP trolley area being mega busy. Indeed it was. Took us over 45 mins. But I did get a couple of good photos of dd that we can print out for her. I have even learned how to send a photo from my phone. No longer can I be classed as a Luddite :j.

So we boarded out train to 'The North'. Then it decided to terminate at York due to leccy issues between Dham and Ncastle. Our next train to our destination was 1 hour later. BIL, bless him, still came to meet us at the stn and we all caught the bus together.

Big sis, meantime, had had her very first day back at work today, after nigh on a year of being signed off to look after mum. And what does she do, but trip up on a speed bump thingy as she was crossing the road, faceplant, and spend some time in the local A+E. Thank heavens that she is okay - she went back to finish her day at work. My sister, the heroine!

Tomorrow we plan to hit Dham cathedral, to see where some HP bits were filmed. Plus get a look at the massive lego model of the cathedral. BIL put a brick in it! (Don't think we'll be able to ID which one, though). And, naturally, mooch around the ch shops. Although big sis mentioned a park, so we may go there instead.

We gave dd her very own 'me bit' this morning and she spent most of the day telling me what her pulse rate was!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Result re DD asking to try some more new foods! (I have an almost food phobic DS2 so can totally empathise!)

You've had some great CS finds recently, too! :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have a lovely time exploring. My mum lives in durham now so I go quite a lot, really love it but don't find it cheap (buses expensive, no cheap city parking..) hope you both enjoy x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Hmm, yesterday's post has disappeared!

We saw the cathedral cloisters which were used in HP, saw the huge lego model of the cathedral, discovered a cafe with gf/df cakes, and bought nowt from the ch shops.

I used big sis' weekly bus ticket, so only had to pay for dd.

Big sis stayed at home, as she was decidedly wobbly after her return to work and her trip. She spent most of the day curled up in a chair and dozing off. Most unlike her.

Dd is wearing her me bit and my fitbit today, to compare their readings.

No one else in the house is stirring, except the cat, so I'm off downstairs to make us some breakfast. The forecast is for rain, so I may get some sewing done...
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    The moneyadviceservice website says that people spend £9 per month on bread,biscuits, pasta and rice. If it was just dh, we'd spend about £5. Add in gf/df for dd and it zooms up to around £40 :eek:. I'm wondering if the mas stats are weekly instead...

The ONS helpfully points out that lower- income households spend a higher proportion of their expenditure on food and energy. D'uh.

Also, UK households are spending £45 per week in restaurants and hotels, of which under £9 was for accommodation :eek:.

Average expenditure for our area is double our current income :rotfl:.

Jus' sayin...
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    My estimated life expectancy is 92. Yikes.
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I have stubbed my toe. My big toe. The one they xrayed. It hurt. I was brave and didn't cry. Or swear. Big sis had no peas so I had to use frozen homegrown broad beans on it...

Earlier start needed tomorrow than we have had in many a day. Travelling northwards - will take about 2 hours (walk, bus, walk, train, metro, walk!) - to see friend + family, then back to get on the train we have reserved seats on (from Dham anyway, so we may have to stand until then...) and h o m e. Yay! Dd really wanted to go home today but was mollified with the prospect of washing lego with her uncle.

I am glad that we came away this week and not next as she'll need a week to potter at home before returning to school.

Must start planning September and think about life goals, plans, wishes...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback