MyHermes - disgraceful

Options
Hi folks,

Whilst I realise there are a few threads regarding this company, my issue is one of a fairly serious nature, and I just wanted advice on how to take a complaint higher in a company where even getting hold of Customer Services is nigh on impossible.

I bought an item on Ebay, and of course paid for the delivery of the goods. The item was 'delivered' last Wednesday at my place of work, a GP Surgery. My colleague, a woman with hearing difficulties who is also partially sighted, was manning the front desk in the reception area. The driver came in and my colleague was on the phone, dealing with a patient. He indicated to her to sign for the parcel, and she asked him to wait. Seems that was the wrong response!! He said, angrily, "don't bother signing for it then" and THREW the parcel over her head and it landed, on the floor, behind her. He left. She was shocked and distressed. Disgusting. The item was soft furnishings and therefore wasn't damaged, but that is hardly the point.

I immediately went onto the MyHermes website, and emailed a complaint to their Customer Services, who assure you of a response within 24 hours. Yeah right. Anyway, I waited until the 24 hours was up, and no response. So, I tried again, and this time found a live 'chat' help thingy, so I logged in to that to speak to one of their Customer Advisors live. A nice lady called Kimberley spoke to me, I told her of the problem and she said "I am very sorry about this, and will pass it on appropriately". I said that wasn't good enough, and that I wanted to speak to the manager of the driver. She told me that as I was the recipient of the parcel, I couldn't speak directly to anyone, but that my complaint would be passed on. Again I told her that wasn't good enough, and that I wanted to speak to someone, in person, on the phone. I think she realised that I was pretty peeved, especially when I pointed out that had the parcel hit my colleague on the head, we would be looking at a crime! She told me that the person in charge was the Courier Fields Manager, but that I couldn't speak to him. She assured me my complaint would be passed on and asked me for telephone numbers so that someone could contact with 'within 24 hours'. I gave her all relevant phone numbers, and not a dicky bird.

Any ideas on how I can take this complaint higher within a company that doesn't seem to allow, with ease, customer contact?

Oh, the Ebay seller has also been informed, has been most apologetic and is also going to lodge a complaint.

Comments

• brendon
    brendon Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    As I understand Hermes, the drivers are all self employed so do not have "managers" as such. Also, your claim seems contradictory -- you first say the item went "over" her head, and then you claim it "hit my colleague on the head". Which was it?
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see various complaints about the couriers at work regularly (and most couriers are as bad as one another in terms of numbers/type of complaints).

Sadly their representative is correct. The sender (or person paying myhermes ) is the customer they report to. As the recipient you are (terrible as sounds) merely a third party to the transaction.

You will need to raise a complaint with the seller and get them to complain to MyHermes.

The only other way to complain may be to get the GP practise to remind their local depot, in writing, that they have legal obligations to protect staff from abuse and any repeat will see their staff banned from entering the premises.
  • NikNox
    NikNox Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    brendon wrote: »
    As I understand Hermes, the drivers are all self employed so do not have "managers" as such. Also, your claim seems contradictory -- you first say the item went "over" her head, and then you claim it "hit my colleague on the head". Which was it?

The live chat help told me that the complaint would be passed on to the Courier Fields Manager, indicating that there is a manager. Also, if you read my post properly you would see that I said 'had the parcel hit her on the head', not that it did hit her on the head.
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    You have had an apology, and you have been told the situation will be dealt with. What more are you looking for?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly their representative is correct. The sender (or person paying myhermes ) is the customer they report to. As the recipient you are (terrible as sounds) merely a third party to the transaction.

Your point may well be true where contractual issues are concerned, but if a courier acts in such a manner towards anyone, then of course the affected person can complain.

Surely you are not saying that if the courier knocked people over on the pavement they would have to contact the sender of the package and get them to complain.
    How would they even do that?

Of course the abused person, beit verbal or physical, has every right to complain.
  • NikNox
    Options
    I see various complaints about the couriers at work regularly (and most couriers are as bad as one another in terms of numbers/type of complaints).

You will need to raise a complaint with the seller and get them to complain to MyHermes.

The only other way to complain may be to get the GP practise to remind their local depot, in writing, that they have legal obligations to protect staff from abuse and any repeat will see their staff banned from entering the premises.

My Practice Manager intends to write to them, but we don't know who the local depot is as we are unable to get any information. Also, I paid the postage fee, so am I not therefore the customer? I have contacted the seller because I thought he should be warned not to use Hermes again, but he hasn't heard anything from them either!!
  • NikNox
    Options
    You have had an apology, and you have been told the situation will be dealt with. What more are you looking for?

I have been told twice that I will receive a response within 24 hours, and have not heard anything. The first complaint was made on Wednesday. It's not good enough I'm afraid, and I at least expect an acknowledgement of my email complaint. Also, the apology came from a live chat customer services advisor. I feel an apology should come from the driver!!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NikNox wrote: »
    Also, I paid the postage fee, so am I not therefore the customer?

Not unless you arranged for the courier to collect the package from the seller.

But see my earlier post.
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    NikNox wrote: »
    I have been told twice that I will receive a response within 24 hours, and have not heard anything. The first complaint was made on Wednesday. It's not good enough I'm afraid, and I at least expect an acknowledgement of my email complaint. Also, the apology came from a live chat customer services advisor. I feel an apology should come from the driver!!

Chances of you getting an apology from the driver are about zero, although I expect they will ensure the same one is not sent to you again.

You have every right to complain, but you need to be realistic as to what you want the outcome to be. I fear that in this case, you are wasting your time.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    From their website T&C's

"To contact us please click here or write to us at Hermes, Capitol House, 1 Capitol Close, Morley, Leeds, LS27 OWH or email us at
    hermessupport@myhermes.co.uk."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport