WTBSEs 'Starting From Scratch' Savings Diary.

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Cathy- it's amazing what a bit of moral support can do for the savings pot isn't it!

So by the end of next week i should have been paid by tomorrows client and also been given my petrol money by the agency. That'll be another £84 for the savings pot.

My Mum is putting £100 into my bank account on 1st December so that i can buy us all presents for Christmas on her behalf. I dont think she likes going shopping :D
    I will spend that accordingly. i know what the boys want, and instead of splitting it 3 ways (for myself and both of the boys), i'll just split it 50/50 between them.

As far as i can see, i wont be able to save any more money (apart from the £30 every other week from my private client) after that, until January at the earliest. It's my sons birthday in early January too, so that'll be another expense. We don't go mad for birthdays, so it wont be much. He wants to buy an external hard drive for his laptop (boys!!).
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Haven't heard of the new Paypal thing - very useful, thanks. :)

I'm definitely cutting back across the board too. Never thought I'd write that either :rotfl:

The Paypal thing works ok but if you are using credit cards and paying off every month then that can work even better getting nearly 60 days interest free credit. I know if I buy things after this Weds I won't need to pay the card off until my January pay comes in. By delaying a purchase by a few days eg filling the car up means I have another month before I have to pay it.

As long as you are careful and don't spend more than you can pay off it can work well to help cash flow.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks for that tip, JJ. It's useful things like that that make the small differences here and there :)
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    The Paypal thing works ok but if you are using credit cards and paying off every month then that can work even better getting nearly 60 days interest free credit.

Thanks jimjames - personally I try to avoid them as I find them too tempting but it's a good tip.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Grrrr...i made a booboo with dates, and it's actually NEXT Monday that i start with my private client. D'oh!
  • cathybird
    Options
    hi WantToBeSE, what's happening with you today? ...
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Hiya Cathy, how are you?

i am doing OK..just feeling a bit miserable (blinkin' hormones..TMI). Trying hard to resist the urge to spend lots of £ on clothes etc. MUST RESIST!!

My new Coat and boots came :) I have to send the boots back and get a bigger size. The coat is LOVELY! Will keep me nice and warm.

I fancy cheesy chips with curry sauce for dinner so i might pop to tesco to get some crinkle chips.
  • cathybird
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit miserable, WantToBeSE :( It's maybe partly the time of year - a few people I know are feeling down compared to their normal cheery selves. Good to hear the coat is warm and snug :) I'm well, getting more enthused about this saving money lark by the day :)
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I fancy cheesy chips with curry sauce for dinner so i might pop to tesco to get some crinkle chips.

Mmm, comfort food, reminds me of my time at university.:D
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • WantToBeSE
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry for my last miserable post. It really is partly my TOTM and partly the miserable weather!

Anyhow, you'll be pleased to know that i did NOT waste any money on clothes. So my savings are still in tact :D:D

I actually couldn't bring myself to spend anything, i want those savings to INcrease not DEcrease.

The boys are off to their dads house this weekend, so i am going to pick up some Christmas bits and then also paint my bathroom. I have been on about doing it for ages, since i have everything i need, so i will crack on with that.
    My savings are so close to £600 now..so just over 1/3 of the 1st target of £1500 :) I feels more do-able (is that word??) now that i have the support of others. It sounds silly, but it's been very helpful to know that it's not just me starting from scratch. It can be intimidating seeing people on this board who have saved £1000s when i havent even been able to save £1000.

Determined to get over £700 by New Year, but that depends on how bad the weather is in between now and then (if i dont get to work, i dont get paid!).

My 1st plan for 2014 is to find more private clients and let go of the agency work :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure