🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Child using debit card online without permission

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2013 at 1:03PM
    Options
    then any future transactions ARE AUTHORISED.

So anyone that breaks into your home or hacks into your account means these purchases are authorised?

Legal reference please.
  • Northerness
    Options
    OP - is your son sorry for what's he's done? Does he feel empathy for the fact he has taken this money from your wife - and does he realise the consequences of taking what's not his outside in the real world? Or is he just feeling sorry for himself because he's had his Playstation taken off him? If he had taken £450 from a neighbour or friend's parent he would have been obviously been in criminal territory.

I don't have kids but I understand 14 year olds can be difficult, however good your parenting skills. If you have a family friend who's a police officer it'd be worth getting them to have a quiet word with him to give him a shock. You could also get him to volunteer in your local food bank for a couple of weekends, so he can see and empathise with the fact that most parents aren't made out of money.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2013 at 4:21PM
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    So anyone that breaks into your home or hacks into your account means these purchases are authorised?

Legal reference please.

If someone hacks into your account and buys something on your account, the download belongs to you, is registered to you and can only be downloaded to your device(s)
    You can't make a purchase on one account and assign the purchase to someone else.

It's not like buying something on Amazon/eBay and choosing a different shipping address.

We're not talking about legal, we're talking about technically how online accounts for games/tablets/phones work.

What I said still stands... you authorise the card to the account. After that, all future transactions are authorised. You do not need to authorise every single one, the bank is not liable every time you click "buy extra lives" or download Call Of Duty, or download the latest James Blunt album.

(Do you have any smartphones/tablets/games consoles in your house?)
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • WTFH
    Options
    ...a Continuous Payment Authority. That's basically what it is.
  • lisyloo
    edited 7 November 2013 at 5:48PM
    Options
    Do you have any smartphones/tablets/games consoles in your house?
    I am pretty sure we don't have anything that makes purchases without a PIN or password.

I avoid CPA like the plague but mostly because it can be hard to cancel with the retailer if you have a dispute.
    Organisations that only offer CPA generally don't get my business.
  • WTFH
    Options
    I am pretty sure we don't have anything that makes purchases without a PIN or password.

Oh, you still need a password to access your account, you just don't need a seperate login procedure to make a payment
    Organisations that only offer CPA generally don't get my business.
    No smartphones, tablets, or contracts for phone/TV/electricity/gas/etc for you then.
    A lot of the utility companies use CPAs but most people think they are direct debits.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    WTFH wrote: »
    ...a Continuous Payment Authority. That's basically what it is.
    I doubt it. A CPA has to comply with these guidelines: http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/cpa-principles/

They are used for regular payments, not random purchases, for which the retailer is still responsible for ensuring each transaction was authorised by the cardholder.

For stuff like game downloads etc which have little marginal cost, the retailer probably doesn't mind if a small percentage of transactions get charged back.
  • WTFH
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    I doubt it. A CPA has to comply with these guidelines: http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/cpa-principles/

They are used for regular payments, not random purchases, for which the retailer is still responsible for ensuring each transaction was authorised by the cardholder.

For stuff like game downloads etc which have little marginal cost, the retailer probably doesn't mind if a small percentage of transactions get charged back.

I agree, it's not exactly a CPA, but that's the nearest thing I could think of to describe it.
  • lisyloo
    edited 8 November 2013 at 1:24PM
    Options
    or contracts for phone/TV/electricity/gas/etc for you then.
    Mine show up on my bank account under "direct debits".
    In fact I have cancelled them before with the bank (or online) which you cannot do with CPAs so I think you are wrong on that.

I've also received the "direct debit guarantee" inforamtion with all of them so think you are wrong.
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    Options
    I have cancelled them before with the bank (or online) which you cannot do with CPAs so I think you are wrong on that.

And you are wrong about that - CPAs can be cancelled with the bank - you have a legal right to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport