Child using debit card online without permission

Options

Comments

• globetraveller
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. It's upsetting to have that happen but you know your son. Hopefully he will have learned something from it all and wont try anything like that again.
    We can't all have perfect children- no matter how good a parent you are. Those who believe otherwise lead a charmed/lucky life.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I am not going to pass judgement on the OP's parenting skills because there but for the grace of God go I.

Maybe other posters have managed to get perfect children by pure skill. I have done it by a combination of heartache, dangerously high blood pressure, loss of hair, sleep and sanity.

That said, the OP can use FCA rule BCOBS 5.1.11R to insist that the bank prove that (s)he authorised the debit or put the money back into the account - regardless of what any of us may think about the morals of that rule.
  • MSM78
    MSM78 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm surprised the card didn't decline if it was repeated purchases which were unusual? Twice over the last few years Natwest have blocked my MasterCard after I've added credit to my sons PS Wallet. The last time was only about £20 which I believe for some reason we had to do as two £10 transactions. Next thing I knew my credit card was cancelled and I had Natwest Fraud dept on the phone. All sorted and new card arrived within a couple of days, bit of a pain but I'd rather that than get rinsed.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Where a banking customer denies having authorised a payment, it is for the firm to prove that the payment was authorised.

Since the op's Son had possession of the card at the Time, that could be seen as authorisation. Unless the OP is willing to bring charges through the police against her Son (as per the Ombudsman Case referred to earlier in this post) then it may be difficult to imply that since she didn't report it then has retrospectively authorised its use..

Otherwise if its just down to someone's 'word' that it wasn't authorised then it sets a route for 'buyers remorse' - i.e. buy a game as a download, not like it.. then claim - oh but my Child must have done that, can I have a refund..

That said, the OP can use FCA rule BCOBS 5.1.11R to insist that the bank prove that (s)he authorised the debit or put the money back into the account - regardless of what any of us may think about the morals of that rule.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    JasG wrote: »
    He took the card on the 18th Oct entered the details that are visible on the card ..... possibly saver if it was PAYPAL but I am not an expert, obviously.

I've not commented on your parenting skills, nor shall I, but I will comment on this.

Do you know for certain that he took the card and used it, or did he log in to an online payment system account (such as Paypal) which already had the card associated with it?

...I've tried to find out a few facts, and given explanations of examples why these facts are relevant, but I realise it's not what a lot of the posters on here want to read. Perhaps I should say "yes, the bank owes you £450 plus at least £100 in compensation for the stress". But frankly, I don't know the facts of the case, nor does anyone who has replied so far, but that's never stopped bad advice being given out on MSE before.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I tried to have a look online and didn't find anything relevant, but I'd be interested to know - if the parents go to the bank and successfully claim that the child used the card without their permission and have the money refunded, what are the consequences likely to be for the family? Is the bank likely to try to prosecute the child for theft? (If it was a £400 shoplifting theft by a 14 year old I would guess that a shop would prosecute?) Or would the bank expect the parents to prosecute? What kind of a sentence would the child be likely to receive - maybe a fine? Are there likely to be other consequences for the parents, such as having the bank account closed, or a fraud marker being put on their account, anything like that?
  • paulwellerfan
    Options
    op !!!! happens.
    my daugter, a few years ago ran up a huge mobile phone bill when we were on holiday abroad
    i phoned up orange and ranted however in the end i had to accept responsibility and pay up.
    she was about 14 years old as well.
    its part of being a parent.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
  • UglyJoe
    UglyJoe Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    My fourteen year old has over the last ten days used my wife's debit card on the Sony Entertainment Network without her permission or knowledge (took it from her handbag) and spent over £450 pounds on games etc.
    Believe me he knows he is in a place he doesn't want to be.

Thanks.

Where is he then?

At the local cop shop being charged with theft, fraud, etc?

Perhaps not as you probably wouldn't want that.

In which case he should be out looking for a job to pay your wife back that £450 he's spent. I reckon he should be able to earn that in about a year.

If you really want to turn the screw financially, you could quote those pay-day loans Martin told parliament about yesterday, when he claimed "one in three people with kids under 10 years-old say their children can already repeat payday ad slogans."

How about these from Wonga?
    Representative 5853% APR

Extension Fee - £10.00. Charged if we accept your application to change your promise date

Late Payment Fee - £30. Charged at 5pm on your promise date if you miss your payment and added to your outstanding balance
  • UglyJoe
    UglyJoe Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    earthstorm wrote: »
    punishment

1) take his Playstation away from him for a period.
    2) take his mobile phone off him (i dare say this will hurt him)

Already done.... but thanks anyways.

Don't just lock them in a cupboard where they will be neither use nor ornament.

Sell them, and put the proceeds towards paying off the amount your son has spent. :)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    op !!!! happens.
    my daugter, a few years ago ran up a huge mobile phone bill when we were on holiday abroad
    i phoned up orange and ranted however in the end i had to accept responsibility and pay up.
    she was about 14 years old as well.
    its part of being a parent.
    Though that's completely different as presumably she had permission to use the phone. Giving a child a contract phone is no better than giving them your credit card!! People don't seem to realise this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure