Child using debit card online without permission

Options
15678911»

Comments

• StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    So succinct - the blames not with the bank, sony, cpa, dd's or payment caching (but the OP states this was the first transaction) The son Took the card from the purse to make the purchase - so was clearly aware of what was happening!.

If I were in this position I wouldn't be going after the bank or Sony to refund the money your child stole. I would be selling anything he owes that is worth selling and not buying him anything but the basics until the debt was cleared. That would teach him a much better lesson then making the company pay for his dishonesty.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    StuC75 wrote: »
    So succinct - the blames not with the bank, sony, cpa, dd's or payment caching (but the OP states this was the first transaction) The son Took the card from the purse to make the purchase - so was clearly aware of what was happening!.

Succinct compared with some of the other pontificating on this thread maybe, but equally irrelevant - for those that actually took the time to read the OP, there was no attempt to blame anyone else!
  • supersaver2
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Succinct compared with some of the other pontificating on this thread maybe, but equally irrelevant - for those that actually took the time to read the OP, there was no attempt to blame anyone else!

Surely though trying to claim the money back from any source possible is a thinly veiled 'blame.' The only person, company etc at fault here is the OP's thieving son. At 14 you know taking your mums card and using it to purchase goods is theft pure and simple. If he were my son I would not want him to see me trying to shift the blame onto banks, Sony etc but make amends and pay his own way.

If that is deemed irrelevant in your view that that is your prerogative, I want my children to know right from wrong and if the make mistakes to deal with it and not pass the buck.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely though trying to claim the money back from any source possible is a thinly veiled 'blame.' The only person, company etc at fault here is the OP's thieving son. At 14 you know taking your mums card and using it to purchase goods is theft pure and simple. If he were my son I would not want him to see me trying to shift the blame onto banks, Sony etc but make amends and pay his own way.

If that is deemed irrelevant in your view that that is your prerogative, I want my children to know right from wrong and if the make mistakes to deal with it and not pass the buck.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with any of that, my comment about relevance was that OP was specifically not looking for moral guidance and was only after practical advice in how to approach one or more suppliers. OP has made it abundantly clear that the son is being held accountable but that seems to have been lost in the subsequent flood of preaching!
  • crispeater
    crispeater Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    my 7 year old tried to log on to my amazon account and couldnt so did a complete password reset (he had access to my email) then purchased a kindle fire HD, 2 tennis rackets and some kind of adapter. I was only able to send the kindle and the adapter back as i had to pay for postage and the postage was more than the tennis rackets worth.

i have told him it was theft and that if he does it again i will under no circumstances report him to the police. I also told the after school club where he attends what he'd done and they had a chat about theft and the law etc.

Hope you get your money back x
    It only seems kinky the first time.. :A
  • JasG
    JasG Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Ladies Gents
    I have spoken to Sony and they are not going to refund any of the funds that my 14 year old son stole from my wife, I never really expected them to refund everything but was hoping for some middle ground as I do understand they are a business and have to make a profit.

I spoke to them at some length and what is clear is their 'Customer Service Team' have no discretionary power and constantly refer to their T&Cs.

They are aware that this is an issue (unauthorised card use) as the first Gent I spoke to said 'it is not common but not rare either'.

The comments about not being aware of how Gaming works are correct we were blissfully unaware that you could spent money on a console to some that may seem strange but I can assure you it is the case.

Punishment for him yes that is on going, don't think that he is having an easy ride, however I won't be turning him over to the Police as I am aware of the implications this could have for him in the future and I can only hope that I will be able to show him the error of his ways.

No, we won't be trying to claim the money back from the bank for the reason stated above.

The punishment though for him having taken a third of my wife's monthly take home pay is not just confined to him it causes us as a family some difficult financial decisions for the next couple of months.

Parenting skills ..... well it's never what you expect is it? If you had asked me a fortnight ago could you ever imagine him doing something like this I would have said 'NO WAY'. How wrong was I.

Do I think Sony have been reasonable ..... by the letter of the law yes.
    Do I think Sony have taken into account the circumstances ..... No I am afraid not.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Sorry to hear Sony haven't offered a refund but hardly surprising and if your child has to pay back every penny he has stolen it will teach him a lesson. At the end of the day Sony are a business and if they start refunding in cases like this where does it end, not all adults are honest, what would stop any adult from paying for these games then calling Sony and saying it was their child using their card without permission. How can you prove either way?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JasG - a stiff lesson for you, but I'm sure you'll come through it. I think you deserve credit for being willing to 'put it out there.'

Once you post something there is no knowing where it will go and you've certainly had your character and that of your son scrutinised. Hopefully some other people will learn from your experience.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't you sell his Playstation, games, etc to 1) recoup some of the money 2) teach him a lesson and 3) he will not be able to do it again then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure