Child using debit card online without permission

Options
My fourteen year old has over the last ten days used my wife's debit card on the Sony Entertainment Network without her permission or knowledge (took it from her handbag) and spent over £450 pounds on games etc. Has anyone any experience of how organisations such as Sony are likely to respond to something like this?

Or alternatively having looked at the Financial Conduct Authority website would this statement apply?

'Money can only be taken from your current account, card-based account or (in some cases) an instant access savings account if YOU have authorised the transaction or your bank can prove you were at fault.

If you notice a payment out of your account that you did not authorise you should contact your bank immediately.

If you are sure you did not authorise a particular payment you can claim a refund.'

I am looking for advice on the financial aspect of this not our parenting skills. Believe me he knows he is in a place he doesn't want to be.

Thanks.

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could appeal to Sony but i wouldn't hold your breath.

As far as your bank is concerned they won't refund you, although you didn't authorise the payments, you know who made them. At 14, he's old enough to know that what he did was wrong.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Finance wise, unless you want to report your 14 yo for theft then they will probably take the line that it was either authorised as it is a family member and it all occurred within the house or that your wife was negligent in allowing it to fall into another family member's hands. Whichever way, wife is liable for charges
  • Wilkins
    Wilkins Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have a leg to stand on legally, but if you ask Sony very, very nicely, they might give you an ex-gratia payment. I doubt your bank will be interested unless you pursue it with the police.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    You probably have a choice between reporting the theft of the card to the police to get a crime reference number, and paying up.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen this before and generally Sony has been very good at refunding the majority of charges.
  • *Scarlett
    *Scarlett Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Does your debit card have any sort of secure transaction thing set up? I know that if I use my card on line I usually have to enter a security password. If not this is not going to help you now but might be useful for the future.

Can any of the items be returned? Sony may be more inclined to a refund if you can return items (intact).

Otherwise, unless you want to report your son for fraud then you will probably have to pay.

I'm sure he has had your full wrath upon him already!

If Sony won't accept a return or refund and you don't want to keep the items maybe you could sell on ebay to recoup some costs.

I'm sure you will keep your son responsible for any deficit - he'll be washing your car, taking out bins, doing dishes, etc for the foreseeable future!

Hope you get it sorted.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    ... or that your wife was negligent in allowing it to fall into another family member's hands. ...
    This is nonsense.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    neg·li·gent (nebreve.gifgprime.giflibreve.gif-jschwa.gifnt)adj.

1. Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
    2. Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
    3. Law Guilty of negligence.

Looks like negligence to me. Left lying around insecurely is negligence
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You shouldn't really have to hide debit or credit cards from your own teenagers should you ? I have a 13 year old daughter, there is no way she would ever think to use it. She knows where my cards are, they're not locked away, they're in my handbag, just like the OP's wifes.

The term "negligent" is just a word that banks use, in this case, no-one has been negligent, or careless for that matter, it's a difficult one really, but i don't see why the bank or Sony should refund the money.

*Scarlett, the son will have bought online games, not physical goods, so there won't be anything to return or sell for a refund.
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    This has come up several times before on the forum, not just with Sony, but Microsoft as well, try a search and see other threads and how they ended, if at all.

You might find Sony not totally accommodating because.....

1/ There has been enough coverage out there, for people to know the dangers of not setting up proper controls on consoles, phones and tablets. Even my 73 year old mother, who hasn't a technical bone in her body, has mentioned cases that have been in the news etc..

2/ To me, as the child is 14, they most certainly are old enough to know exactly what they were doing and again this will be a contributing factor into how likely firms are to give refunds.

Do let us know the outcome though, as it will help others, who no doubt, will have this situation in the future. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure