Child using debit card online without permission

Options

Comments

• danielhermann
    Options
    In no way I think Sony should be liable, they have given their support in exchange of money required for the games. In this case you can request the Insurance companies in what way they can help you. The bank cards should be covered under insurance covers in case of misuses, but as the case is within your own family this may be difficult.
    Online transactions should be made in such a way that before confirming the transaction the system should cross verify the face through the webcam to be more secure. this will not allow any misuse whether by any member of the family or an outsider.
  • vassa
    vassa Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of blaming Sony i'd be more worried about how i was parenting my child, mainly because they think it's ok to steal from their nearest and dearest and the fact that you allow them to sit in their room all day on a computer.

Just saying.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    vassa wrote: »
    Instead of blaming Sony i'd be more worried about how i was parenting my child

The initial post made clear acknowledgement of this.

I don't think they are blaming anybody else. They are trying to recover the money.

Three good options have been identified:

1. Goodwill refund from Sony. This isn't a right, Sony aren't at fault, but they may be prepared to refund part or all of the spend.

2. Recover it from the bank. This has a high likelihood of success and will probably be followed up with a court case.

3. Sell the machine on eBay and don't let the little git have one again.

I like option (3). Combine it with option (1) and there's a profit to be made! MSE at its best.
  • lindseylocket
    Options
    Microsoft were kind enough to refund our money when my 9 year old "accidently" ordered £65 worth of points.
    The points were unused so they could recall them.

They did also suggest changing the payment method from the easy access one.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    *Scarlett wrote: »
    Does your debit card have any sort of secure transaction thing set up? .

This still remains an unanswered question. Which would have a material bearing on the outcome.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My bank no longer require a password for verified by Visa if I buy on my usual PC at home. If I order on my work PC it asks for it, so this may not have much of a bearing.
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As your son is 14 there is less chance of making a case with Sony I believe as in the case of a much younger child who would not really understand what they have done. Presumably your son has also used the games?

I suspect you will have to bear the cost and make him pay it back over time.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is basically stealing by any other name. A 14 year old knows the difference between right and wrong, so this is exactly the same as him taking the family car for a joyride with his mates.
    Nobody else can be held responsible, and as for Sony refunding the cost - why should they?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Nobody else can be held responsible, and as for Sony refunding the cost - why should they?
    There's no legal or moral requirement for them to do so.

They may feel that customer goodwill has a value though.
  • RichL74
    RichL74 Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As usual, everyone else is to blame except the precious thieving kid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure