When do you put your Christmas tree up?

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We always have a real one if we are at home. Last year we had two. A friend of mine grows them. As soon as they are chopped down another is planted to replace it.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    I don't even think about it until we're well into December.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Up the weekend before & down NYE.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Little desk tree first Monday in December.
    Home artificial trees as soon as I can coax the lads into cooperating. So, dec 24 when I stress at them...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    Options
    Maz wrote: »
    We don't do a tree (we don't really do Christmas tbh) but we love the twinkly lights and sparkle.

My efforts usually involve assembling fallen branches in a corner, secured and stabilised as best I can, then hung with lights,silver gossamer and baubles.

When we take it down, we burn the branches on the fire. The 'tree' always gets loads of compliments too and best of all, it's free! I really don't like artificial trees so this is a more acceptable,cheap and evironmentally friendly alternative for us! A friend has a plastic tree and when it's all lit up all you can smell is warm plastic, it's horrible! And ker-ist, the dust it collects is unbelievable.

And there's no needles and all the mess with a dried out and dying tree. We just snap the branches and burn them.

Couldn't you just use a dead, bare Christmas tree? There are loads for the taking shortly after Christmas.
  • any_name_will_suffice
    Options
    Christmas eve, after I have finished work and done any last bits of shopping. I don't trust the dog to be left on his own with it, he has form with christmas trees! :rotfl:

I usually take it down a day or two after boxing day, I have to rearrange my downstairs to fit it in, and it does my head in! That said, I am going to visit family this year, rather than them come to me, so I might not bother with it this year.

(I didn't have a Christmas tree until we moved into this house, we took the keys on 22nd December, and the builders had left us a tree, full of decorations, as a house- warming present. It is huge, I keep meaning to replace it one January with a smaller one).
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The 2nd weekend of December.
  • Scrapaholic
    Options
    I usually put the trees up 7-10 days before Christmas . A real one in the living room and artificial in the dining room window facing the street . I like to see the lights in everyone's windows , makes me feel festive . I don't like doing the trees at all but like it when they're all finished . Will take down Jan 2nd or 3 rd , had enough by then . Will try and rope some grandkids in to help me this year . I'm thinking about twigs for the dining room instead of fake tree . Might have a look and see what's lying about as don't really want to buy twigs if I can get them free !
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't you just use a dead, bare Christmas tree? There are loads for the taking shortly after Christmas.

Well it wouldn't be a Christmas tree then would it because Christmas would be over?
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • fozziebeartoo
    Options
    The 1st weekend in December.

When my kids were little and I worked fulltime, it was the most convenient time.

Now they are grownup and I have a DGS but I still put the tree up early.

Mind you........I take it down PDQ after Christmas, I like to start the New Year with everything cleared away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure