PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Bookworm42
    Bookworm42 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 November 2013 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Just been to Mr T. Spent £58.24. I remembered to take all my Club card coupons with me and got £2.30 off that. So my bill came to £55.94. That included quite a bit of Christmas stuff (half price gift sets & discounted chocs) so I've decided to deduct £11.70 and take that from my Christmas budget. So I have £44.24 to come from GC budget.
    Have meal planned up to Thursday. DH and I are away this weekend. DS and dog are off to in-laws.
    Going to attempt some baking today. I'm not very good but it usually gets eaten.
    Time to put all that shopping away.
    Have now got £5 off £40 shop for Mr T next week.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    mooomin wrote: »
    £1.66 spent this morning on the ingredients for minestrone soup which will do my lunches for the whole week.

I don't particularly want to use all the celery I've bought for the soup, but can't stand the stuff raw. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could use it?
    You could grate it to pad out mince meals or burgers. I do that with anything that needs used up.

If you have lentils you could make lentil burgers with it added, very easy and very cheap to make :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • tessie_bear
    Options
    hi its raining today i think winter has arrived...im quite pleased with myself as i had roast lamb planned for tea...normally when it goes cold i have just got a massive amount of salad...will roast the lamb for tea today and make a mousaka tomorrow

might make a steamed pudding as well if anyone can fot it in....i have made a menu plan for the week and i got 6 punpkins (huge) when they were 10p in sainsbugs...gave one to my mum made a vat of soup with one and have 4 left so planning some more soup later

have a nice day
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,634 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't particularly want to use all the celery I've bought for the soup, but can't stand the stuff raw. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could use it?

I always add celery if I'm making a curry or stew so if you're not planning anything like that then I would chop it up and open freeze then you can just grab a handful to add whenever you do those types of meals. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow as I need to buy some celery for the chicken curry I'm making but the rest will go chopped into the freezer.

Today is going to be another NSD for me :T as once again DH needed/wanted the car today.

Denise
  • marris
    marris Posts: 644 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    £1.66 spent this morning on the ingredients for minestrone soup which will do my lunches for the whole week.

another one for freezing celery. i separate celery for 2 sticks in a bag.chop it finely so when i need it i know i have 2 sticks in every bag.
    Jan GC £66,82/100 Jan NSD 17/31; Feb GC £71,67/100 Feb NSD 14/28;Mar GC £81,82/100 Mar NSD 16/31;Apr GC £99,54/100 Apr NSD 14/30; May GC £127,20/100 May NSD 12/31; June GC £70,05/100 June NSD 17/30; July GC £47,52/100 NSD 05/31
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Love being on this challenge again. Food Plans for the week are
    Monday - Mousakka with stir fried cabbage
    Tuesday - bacon and Veg risotto (from recipie index, first time making risotto so finger crossed) - will use for lunch on Wed too.
    Wednesday - Night out with mum and dad - Local Indian restaurant
    Thursday - Omelette with paprika wedges
    Friday - Soup and pudding - HM carrot and corriander soup with rice pudding

Thats me so far. I have still had an expensive week though as I need new tyres for my car and I have bought a few more christmas pressie bits. I did manage to get some reduced loaves of brad in Mr T on sat evening so happy with that.

I really need to set up a proper system though to track spending as money can slip through my fingers without me realising just how much I have spent!!
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    This is what we will be having this week.

Monday- HM Pizza with HM garlic dough balls
    Tuesday- Kedgeree
    Wednesday- Sweet chilli lime chicken pasta
    Thursday-Pork loin stir fry
    Friday- HM cheese and onion quiche with chips and beans
    Saturday- HM spicy lentil burgers with HM garlic bread
    Sunday- HM curry using what ever is left that needs using with HM egg fried rice and prawn crackers.

I shouldn't need to buy anything except potatoes and a bag of stirfry. I've been buying MRMs 50p a bag stirfry and it is really good and does the four of us. For the potatoes I will go back to the local fruit and veg shop. I only want a few to last until the lidl offer on Saturday when I will stock up on them.

So I should have a minimal spend week.

Lunches will be chicken sweetcorn soup and left over gammon and yellow split pea made in to soup. Breakfasts will be porridge or HM yoghurt with dried fruits.

For snacks I will make cheese biscuits and a batch of flapjacks. There is also a tonne of dried fruit to snack on.

Good luck this week everyone :)

This sounds delicious, do you have a recipe please?

I've just had Mr T order delivered. Total after Christmas bits took off (potential presents), substitutions and offers etc is £47.88. I will need 1% milk and spreadable butter from Mr M/C*-*p later, as cheaper there. Later in the week will get the offers that weren't available in Tesc*s too

Off to add total to sig.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    First_TRouble - your grandad's cheese asnd potato pie recipe is now in teh index :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the celery suggestions - I'll probably freeze it for my next soup-making adventure and that way it won't go to waste :D
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    shiningfaery I've added your lamb mince recipes to the index as "Recipes to stretch lamb mince" :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport