🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Diary of a spendy cow

Options

Comments

• mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do I need mobile phone insurance??

I've got a shiny new HTC phone which costs around £500 to buy new (at the moment)

I did have insurance through Carphone Warehouse but felt that £15 a month was ridiculous. It worked out at £179.88 a year (!!) I looked at Insurance2Go from a link here and can get a year's cover for £47 or thereabouts which covers me for everything apart from loss. Is it money well spent do you think? Do any of you have insurance for your phones?
  • Mara_uk7
    Mara_uk7 Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Check your home contents insurance, mine covers my phone.
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life .. :cool:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,777 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have it if my phone was that expensive to replace.
    The 47 quid one would be ok?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Martin has an article on this, doesn't he? Your home contents will cover you, but payment out will be slower than if it was a specific phone policy. If I remember rightly his suggestion is that if you're a "loser or damager" then get the insurance - if not, then "self-insure" as the likelihood of needing to make a claim is that much lower, so stick aside x-amount each month into an account to cover towards at least the insurance excess.

I have an iPhone 4S and don't have insurance - I also have my old 3GS and if the worst happened would get that unlocked and switch back to that in the short term until the home insurance paid out for the 4S. I made a conscious decision to keep the old phone as I use that for music to avoid cluttering the other one up too much.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • tomtombeanie
    tomtombeanie Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with EssexH (and Martin!) - unless you are prone to phone accidents, don't bother with a policy. I have had my iPhone for a few years now with no insurance, I am careful-ish with it & it has lived to tell the tale of being dropped in the dog's water bowl & getting lost in the kitchen cupboard. Hope I haven't just jinxed myself for a terrible accident with it :)
    Mortgage free as of 11/11/15 !
    :Anow... to start some serious saving :A

• mooomin
    Options
    I had phone insurance on my current account (when I was staff and getting it half price) and the one time I tried to claim I had marinated my phone in a muddy puddle for half an hour before realising it was missing.

They were going to take my phone for up to two weeks to fix it, so for that it wasn't worth it.

I don't have a spare, and am swithering about the best thing to do. I am pretty careful with my phones, puddles notwithstanding. Maybe I'm better to save the cash!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can bet your life that whichever route you take, you'll wish you'd chosen the other.....! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • mooomin
    Options
    You can bet your life that whichever route you take, you'll wish you'd chosen the other.....! :D

I'm beginning to think it's a bit of a false economy tbh. I am in a good position in terms of what's in my ISA so if I did damage it terminally I could replace it and paying out £500 would teach me a valuable lesson :D
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know this is different but I don't have insurance for our 2 cats. I put a little aside each month into an account to cover anything. So far it has worked well (touch wood) so I would use that principle with the phone.
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • mooomin
    Options
    I've decided no insurance for now. I'll review it but it feels like the right decision for me.

Only MSE thing today (apart from my packed lunch) is that I've closed a savings account I had forgotten about - £1.01 which will go in my Sealed Pot when I get home :D Better in my coffers than elsewhere :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport