Royal Mail Shares

Options

Comments

2010 Posts: 5,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gatita wrote: »
    Please could someone tell me whether it is better to leave my shares with Equiniti or transfer them to some other company or for me to keep them until I want to sell? Is it true I will be charged £50 to move them?
    I am in a mess as you can see so would appreciate very much for some help.

I bought RM through Halifax Share Dealing where I`ve had an account for years.
    My partner bought through the RM gov. site offer and requested a share cert.
    I sold mine the first day 444p.
    My partner is still transferring the share cert. into the Halifax, which should be complete by next Wednesday.
    Then RM can be sold whenever.(currently 574p).

You need to join a broker and send the share cert to them with the transfer forms.
    As stated I`m with Halifax but there`s a lot of talk about http://www.x-o.co.uk/

Basically, join a broker, transfer your share cert to them and wait `til you think it`s right to sell RM.
    They will go into the Ftse100 in Dec and funds will have to buy so the momentum is upwards.

Don`t Panic, RM is not going to disappear overnight. :)
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Not sure how you work that out although I assume you are referring to a UK tracker not any other index trackers of which there are many.

We were talking about a Ftse100 tracker and I think at this stage of the cycle you would lose money if you invested where the Ftse100 it stands now.
    Even with dividends you would have lost out from the peak and not to mention CHARGES, although I know some recent trackers are now below 1%.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even with the previous peak not being passed anyone owning a tracker would not have lost money as they have also collected dividends in that time.

RBS, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock, Lloyds, HBOS to name a few. Would have been hard to avoid a capital loss and also a cut in dividend.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    RBS, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock, Lloyds, HBOS to name a few. Would have been hard to avoid a capital loss and also a cut in dividend.

Not unless you had one of those Demutualisation PEPs, with Halifax, Alliance and Leicester, Woolwich, Northern Rock (and others???) shares in them, that went through a variety of ownerships (Govett, AIB, Gartmore), that they eventually turned into a FTSE tracker (100 or 250......havent looked), and is now worth double it was at the time they dumped the demutualised shares, and probably ten or twenty times the value had they not turned into a tracker.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2013 at 11:06AM
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    Even with dividends you would have lost out from the peak and not to mention CHARGES, although I know some recent trackers are now below 1%.

This is absolutely not true and misleading to anyone on this board to suggest that you would have lost money from peak to now.

With dividends you would be in profit even if you invested on the highest day of the FTSE in 1999.

As an example Fidelity FTSE tracker. Unit price on 31/12/99 was 51p.

Current price 82p. That is a 60% increase in 14 years. Hardly a loss.
    We were talking about a Ftse100 tracker and I think at this stage of the cycle you would lose money if you invested where the Ftse100 it stands now.

Can you clarify a bit more? When would you lose money?

I think it is good that there is scepticism about valuations and there is plenty of room for different views about future directions but unless you are predicting a Japanese style spiral I think it very unlikely that you would lose money over the long term.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    edited 3 November 2013 at 11:26AM
    Options
    This is absolutely not true and misleading to anyone on this board to suggest that you would have lost money from peak to now.

You seem tom forget about charges and anything can look good using certain time frames and certain funds.
    In March 2009 the Ftse 100 stood about 3648, today it stands around 6734.
    Fantastic profits in only four years.
    Even the last 12 months the Ftse100 is up 15%

If you look at the chart from whenever, we`re now reaching just below the highest it`s ever been
    not a good time for thinking about a tracker.
    The chart bis from the peak of the Ftse100 until now.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EFTSE#symbol=%5Eftse;range=19991231,20131028;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Stocks are now over valued compared to any barometer you care to use, and the USA is printing billions every month to buy worthless assets creating a mirage that`s not sustainable.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2013 at 11:34AM
    Options
    You seem tom forget about charges and anything can look good using certain time frames and certain funds.

Absolutely, you can use any time frame. If I wanted it to look good I would use the same you have just done.

I didn't. I've quoted the peak to now. When you claimed anyone would be sitting on a loss. It isn't true.

From peak to trough may have shown a loss. But that was 4 years ago not now. And if you invested in 2009 you'd have doubled your money in capital alone without even considering dividends.

The numbers I quoted previously are after charges. They are for a UK tracker with dividends reinvested. Some managed funds will have done far better. Other non UK funds have done better still.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    edited 3 November 2013 at 12:22PM
    Options
    From peak to trough may have shown a loss.

Basically it`s pot luck when you invest in a tracker whether you win or lose but now is not the time to do it for reasons already given.

We seem to be going off topic, RM on the rise again this week I would imagine, maybe through the 600p.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Fantastic profits in only four years.
    Even the last 12 months the Ftse100 is up 15%

If you look at the chart from whenever, we`re now reaching just below the highest it`s ever been
    not a good time for thinking about a tracker.
    The chart bis from the peak of the Ftse100 until now.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EFTSE#symbol=%5Eftse;range=19991231,20131028;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

Stocks are now over valued compared to any barometer you care to use, and the USA is printing billions every month to buy worthless assets creating a mirage that`s not sustainable.

Better sell out now then because the FTSE 100 obviously has an in build ceiling and it will never go above the point it was before the financial crisis.

What seems to happen is it climbs up only to be thrown back down by stupidity. The Dot Com Bubble and the financial crisis where banks etc behaved like merchant bankers.

Strange thing is the FTSE 250 has already well passed that point.

Maybe time has come to dump the 100 and start looking to the other indexes and smaller firms. Strangely enough this was the topic of a video on the HL website.
    Options
    Better sell out now then because the FTSE 100 obviously has an in build ceiling and it will never go above the point it was before the financial crisis.

It hasn`t got a built in ceiling, it could go well past the 7000 point at sometime, in fact some dealers are predicting it will beat the all time high before this Christmas.

I don`t know about dumping the 100 because you have to have some well established benchmark.
    The USA sticks with the Dow Jones, yet it only contains 30 companies.

Do you have a link for the HL video?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport