Royal Mail Shares

Options

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good questions. Answer 1 is yes and answer 2 - a dividend date was already mentioned in the press, maybe 6 months away?
  • JGal
    JGal Posts: 162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 November 2013 at 8:33PM
    Options
    HMRC :

"Capital Gains Tax is a tax on the profit or gain you make when you sell or otherwise ‘dispose of’ an asset, such as shares.
    You usually dispose of an asset when you cease to own it. You might sell it, give it away, transfer it to someone else or exchange it for something else
    Shareholder guide says final dividend payment in July/August and interim dividend December/January."

From holding shares previously I seem to recall you have to actually hold them at some date (that should be published) prior to the payment day to qualify to receive dividends.

http://www.royalmailgroup.com/investors/shareholder-communications/dividend-information
  • Basil74
    Basil74 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    garf155 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered (have done a search)

I opted to receive the share certificate and not wanting to be stung by the £50 to sell through Equiniti I've registered an x-o account to transfer my shares over. I've printed the CREST transfer form that it tells me to fill in and send off with my Royal Mail share certificate.

However, nowhere can I see on the form my x-o account details, so how do they know what account to transfer them into?

If you've registered with X-O then you should have a password and login details which will show your account number?
    If your unsure I would contact X-O, I got a very speedy and helpful reply when I emailed them.
  • mcscoty1973
    Options
    had the same issue garf, put in a covering letter stating what you want and your account number, that should do it, worked for me. Sold shares, waited 3 days then asked them to transfer to my bank, this was all done in 2 days 😃

garf155 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered (have done a search)

I opted to receive the share certificate and not wanting to be stung by the £50 to sell through Equiniti I've registered an x-o account to transfer my shares over. I've printed the CREST transfer form that it tells me to fill in and send off with my Royal Mail share certificate.

However, nowhere can I see on the form my x-o account details, so how do they know what account to transfer them into?
  • mcscoty1973
    Options
    Buglawton I did that, find email address in their FAQ on their main site and send them a mail with the value you want to transfer in. I put in bank details again for sanity check, got reply within an hour that it had been processed and money in bank 2 days later

buglawton wrote: »
    Anyone tried setting up payment for their sold shares via X-O direct to their account, instead of cheque?
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please could someone tell me whether it is better to leave my shares with Equiniti or transfer them to some other company or for me to keep them until I want to sell? Is it true I will be charged £50 to move them?
    I am in a mess as you can see so would appreciate very much for some help.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It's £10 to move them electronically.

X O is currently flavour of the month.

Who knows if they will be when you want to sell??
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    10 to transfer from nominee

at this price, keep if you have no need of money till 2019 or sell some depending on how much you think rmg will grow or refine its business successfully
    a simple alternative is to sell and hold a ftse tracker which also pays dividends but from 100 companies not just reliant on one or the uk exclusively like rmg is
    2010 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    10 to transfer from nominee

at this price, keep if you have no need of money till 2019 or sell some depending on how much you think rmg will grow or refine its business successfully
    a simple alternative is to sell and hold a ftse tracker which also pays dividends but from 100 companies not just reliant on one or the uk exclusively like rmg is

Although I appreciate Sabres input I must disagree about a Ftse 100 tracker.
    A tracker does exactly what it says---- it tracks the Ftse100.
    If the Ftse100 goes up the tracker goes up and of course vice versa.

To me the Ftse100 is nearing it`s peak the same applies in the USA.
    The Fed is printing money like there`s no tomorrow but in this case tomorrow will soon be here.
    You can`t keep buying worthless assets (like the Fed is) ---- full stop.
    The Ftse 100 peaked way back in Dec 1999 just short of 7000, it has NEVER reached that point since.
    By all means keep RM but do not buy a tracker unless you want to lose money.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    The Ftse 100 peaked way back in Dec 1999 just short of 7000, it has NEVER reached that point since.
    By all means keep RM but do not buy a tracker unless you want to lose money.

Not sure how you work that out although I assume you are referring to a UK tracker not any other index trackers of which there are many.

Yes the FTSE peaked in 1999. The P/E at that time was around 30. It is about half that now.

Even with the previous peak not being passed anyone owning a tracker would not have lost money as they have also collected dividends in that time. Many people would also have invested over a period of time buying at different prices so it is highly unlikely that anyone would have only bought on the highest day.

It also wouldn't be sensible to just own a UK tracker and no other investments. In much the same way it wouldn't be sensible to just own RM shares like quite a few people seem to have done.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure