Royal Mail Shares

Options

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,
    2010 wrote: »
    It will go higher in Dec when they go into the 100.

if that was 100% certain everybody would be lumping in.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    So, for someone that currently does not hold RM shares, is it worth a punt now or do you think that we are close to the peak?

For what my view is worth (very little) I think RM is likely to continue edging higher over time but as has been said, you've missed the boat on the big quick profit that was available.

So if you are looking for short term capital increase, it's a little risky though you might want to take a punt on the FTSE100 listing giving it a boost. But if you are talking about a long term investment, I reckon it is still going to give you a return. Depends whether you believe the business can be made more profitable and successful -- I do, but others are less sure.

So that's my crystal ball -- what does yours tell you?!
    "I don't mind if a chap talks rot. But I really must draw the line at utter rot." - PG Wodehouse
  • Basil74
    Basil74 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quickie and I'm sure I'm panicking over nothing but I'm just in the process of filling out the forms to transfer my shares from Equiniti to X-O... However, all the paperwork I've received only ever refers to 'Jarvis investments' there's no mention of X-O in any of the literature at all other than on the internet, I'm just slightly wary of any companies that have more than one trading name that seem to be completely unrelated?? Can someone put my mind at rest that all is legit!!
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 November 2013 at 1:43PM
    Options
    From the X-O homepage.

X-O.co.uk is a brand name of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd (Jarvis), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Jarvis is a member of the London Stock Exchange and ISDX, and is an HM Revenue & Customs Approved ISA Manager. Registered office:
    78 Mount Ephraim, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN4 8BS. Registered in England Number: 1844601. VAT Registration Number: 680 0400 74

Which should hopefully place your mind at ease.
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is the website of the parent company

http://www.jarvisim.co.uk/
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yorksport wrote: »
    It must be close to a peak if not there.

Not in absolute terms and very much not when adjusting for inflation.

You may find this interesting.

http://www.retirementinvestingtoday.com/2013/11/valuing-ftse-100-november-2013.html
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Basil74
    Basil74 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that chopper and blinko. I'm totally new to shares and started having a bit of panic that I was about to sign my holding over to some scammers for them to never be seen again!!
    2010 Posts: 5,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,

if that was 100% certain everybody would be lumping in.

I`ll remind you of your post in Dec. ;)
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    2010 wrote: »
    I`ll remind you of your post in Dec. ;)

hope you get your timing right. anim_25.gif

When companies join the FTSE 100 Index

When companies join the Index the share price often rises in the period immediately before joining and then is flat or falls back slightly afterwards.
    This might be explained by index-tracking fund managers buying the company in anticipation of it joining the index.
    The following chart shows the impact on the share price of ITV when it joined the FTSE 100 Index in March 2011.
    FTSE-100-Index-review-company-joins.png
    Again, as before, the index-joining effect is not always as marked as in the case for ITV, but a similar behaviour can be seen in many companies joining the index.
    Further examples of the behaviour of share prices for companies leaving and joining the FTSE 100 Index can be seen in the Almanac.
    2010 Posts: 5,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When companies join the Index the share price often rises in the period immediately before joining

This is exactly what I was trying to point out to the poster who said they couldn`t see any rise short term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure