VOIP, Discussion, questions and answers

in Phones & TV
658 replies 187.9K views

Replies

• i'm considering buying the linksys pap2 from ebay Example

Can anyone confirm that this can be setup to allow incoming calls via sipgate and outgoing calls via voipcheap.com for example?

Will it require to separate phones to be plugged in to do this (i.e. line 1 & 2)

Is the setup fairly straightforward and is this a reasonable sort of hardware to go for? It certainly seems cheap compared to some others

Thanks
  • i've just moved into a place where there's no mobile signal on any network and no access to a landline.

There's a landline in the house but as a lodger i can't use it, so I want to make and receive internet calls. I've got a laptop with wireless access to the internet through a router that's in the kitchen (not mine, connected to the landline).

What do I need to do to sort out internet calls? The phone needs to be in my bedroom. Will the internet phones work if plugged directly into my laptop? Does the laptop have to be on to make and receive calls, or is the broadband still active even when the laptop is turned off as it's wireless?

I've been looking at this phone http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3276.aspx, does the base plug into my laptop or does it plug into the router! I'm confused by the whole thing!

bought a phone today but it only works with windows live messenger and it has to plug into both the router and the phone line which isn't any good.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!
  • Hello Laura
    Will the internet phones work if plugged directly into my laptop?

If they are USB phones, then yes, they will plug directly into a USB socket on your laptop.
    Does the laptop have to be on to make and receive calls, or is the broadband still active even when the laptop is turned off as it's wireless?

If the phone is plugged into the laptop, then the laptop must be on in order for you to make or receive calls. A lot of internet calls providers offer a voicemail facility to take your calls if your laptop is off.
    I've been looking at this phone http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-3276.aspx, does the base plug into my laptop or does it plug into the router!

The base plugs into the router, so you would need to take the phone to the kitchen to charge it.

If I was in your situation, I would get a USB phone that plugs into your laptop, and would leave the laptop on whenever I was at home.

Please make sure you research your calls provider thoroughly and pick one that gives you decent rates on your calls (I don't think Tesco is very cheap), and also one that gives you an 01, 02 or 056 number, so that people can call you without paying extra to call an 0844, 0845, 0870 or 0871 number. www.sipgate.co.uk offer free 01 or 02 numbers, and www.voipfone.co.uk offer free 056 numbers. I think both have decent call charges as well.

Some phones you might consider:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98927&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=usb%20phone&doy=18m2

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98689&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=usb%20phone&doy=18m2

If you need further guidance, please ask.
  • How can you dial a SIP URI from a phone?
    For example, how can you dial '[email protected]'.
    I have a geographic number routed through to '[email protected]', but the routing is often unreliable, hence I want my daughter (who also uses VOIP) to be able to ring me without going through the routing.
    I realise that I can connect via SIP URI from a computer, but I want to use a phone.

Any ideas?
  • BexTechBexTech Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    pauldreed wrote: »
    How can you dial a SIP URI from a phone?
    For example, how can you dial '[email protected]'.
    I have a geographic number routed through to '[email protected]', but the routing is often unreliable, hence I want my daughter (who also uses VOIP) to be able to ring me without going through the routing.
    I realise that I can connect via SIP URI from a computer, but I want to use a phone.

Any ideas?

If using a Linksys ATA, then you can enter a SIP URI in a speed dial, and use that. You may be able to do this with other ATAs however this I don't know.

Using a SIP phone, you can usually enter the SIP URI.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • BexTech wrote: »
    If using a Linksys ATA, then you can enter a SIP URI in a speed dial, and use that. You may be able to do this with other ATAs however this I don't know.

Using a SIP phone, you can usually enter the SIP URI.

I've now found speed-dial in the menu. I'll try it thanks.
  • Hi,

I'm new to postings so I am hoping this is going into the right section.

A couple of years ago I was with a voip company called vonage, due to an expanding
    business I decided to look at them again and I have been pleasantly surprised.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/compare.php

This link is a price comparison to their different charges for a private household user,
    guys and gals all I can say it looks like a deal not to be missed out on. They can even email voice mail messages to you, free.

Take it easy
    Shar:beer:
    4.8K Posts
    Hi,

I'm new to postings so I am hoping this is going into the right section.

A couple of years ago I was with a voip company called vonage, due to an expanding
    business I decided to look at them again and I have been pleasantly surprised.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/compare.php

This link is a price comparison to their different charges for a private household user,
    guys and gals all I can say it looks like a deal not to be missed out on. They can even email voice mail messages to you, free.

Take it easy
    Shar:beer:

Not very competitive to what is out there.

Virtually all VoIP providers offer Voicemail free and email it to you and offer the ability to pick it up remotely.

Being VoIP you get all the services like Caller Display, Call Waiting, ACR, 3-Way Calling etc etc 'free' as it is part of your device.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
  • this thread seems to attract various people recommending services which are not the best value for money.

As BexTech points out there is much better available out there!

PS BexTech, I am waiting delivery on a Linksys PAP2 from ebay. May need some help setting up with voipcheap.com and sipgate?
    4.8K Posts
    medic1978 wrote: »

PS BexTech, I am waiting delivery on a Linksys PAP2 from ebay. May need some help setting up with voipcheap.com and sipgate?

Sure no worries.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals