Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

VOIP, Discussion, questions and answers

in Phones & TV
658 replies 187.9K views

Replies

• BritBrat wrote: »
    I don't know if this would be of any interest to you.

http://www.mysipswitch.com/

I have not really looked into it myself.

Neither have I. But it offers services similar to VoxaLot,

http://www.voxalot.com

which I am familiar with.

I've not kept up with the situation but at one time mysipswitch would not work with the Betamax services. That had, I think, something to do with multiple accounts and a single IP number.

Brian.
  • papitopapito Forumite
    365 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    HI
    Following references from this thread I sign up with Voipraider but now I have an Error 33 and can't use it anymore (10 Us dollars credit)
    They are just ignoring my emails. I have done a google and found many people having the same problems and never received their money back.

Anyone know about this? or how can I fix this error message.

Hi Just wondering of someone had the same problem? :confused:
  • MiserlyMartinMiserlyMartin Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I signed up to voipraider. I've also been a customer of justvoip. Justvoip have stopped doing free sms, so I thought I would join voipraider.

I signed up a few days ago, sent 6 texts which appeared as free. All good until today, when i looked at the account and they have charged 6.5 cents per message, denting my balance. They are supposed be free and the wbesite still says free. Its not a fair use thing because I've only ever sent 6 messages and they've charged me for all of them now. I've sent them an email through their website. i hope they reply. Does anyone have any other contact details for them? Its a bit poor when a company can take your money and is uncontactable when they stuff up the bill!
  • HippyerHippyer Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just did a search on this thread for 0800 but only found one where someone said "I was even charged for an 0800 number"
    I have been looking at purchasing VOIP Cheap, but I would mainly have a use for this to use it's 0800 numbers.
    I have a mobile phone contract which is really excessive of what I need and I would find the use of 0800 numbers really useful.

Already on my mobile I am charged for these FREE numbers, do VOIP companies charge for this privilege as well?
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hippyer wrote: »
    I just did a search on this thread for 0800 but only found one where someone said "I was even charged for an 0800 number"
    I have been looking at purchasing VOIP Cheap, but I would mainly have a use for this to use it's 0800 numbers.
    I have a mobile phone contract which is really excessive of what I need and I would find the use of 0800 numbers really useful.

Already on my mobile I am charged for these FREE numbers, do VOIP companies charge for this privilege as well?

From your mobile, or from Voipcheap, you can use 02002220700 (London) as a callthrough access for freephone numbers

Otherwise, Voipcheap charges 1c/min for freephone, but on the sister brand Justvoip these calls are free. I don't pretend to understand this, or expect it necessarily to last.

You'd also be able to use Justvoip's callthrough access from your mobile, after registering it in your account details
  • papitopapito Forumite
    365 Posts
    Forumite
    papito wrote: »
    Hi Just wondering of someone had the same problem? :confused:

No one seems to have the same problems around here:confused: well, thanks anyway
  • Mark228Mark228 Forumite
    3 Posts
    chukwe wrote: »
    I'm looking to signup with one of the VOIPs available from Betamax, but I realised that the free calls to USA, UK Landlines etc are 300 mins per week.

I normally make upto 1000mins per week to USA.

Is there any VOIP that can offer 1000mins/Unlimited per week?

I looked at that Vonage and is it correct you have to pay a £9.99 setup fee?

Anyway I thought I'd sign in to let you know that the cheapest I've found so far is Skype, which has no setup fee. I'm using the Europe Subscription plan at £3.39 p/m (inc vat) for Unlimited free minutes to any Europe landline (UK Unlimited is £2.24 p/m). But they also do the Worldwide one at £7.99 p/m but they have an offer on at the moment (until June 1st) if you sign up and pay for at least a three month subscription you get 33% off so only pay for 2 months! (or it looks like you can pay for 12 months and only pay for 8 with the 33% discount etc) Works out at about £5.32 per month inc vat, not seen it cheaper than that anywhere else.

You get a free Geographical phone number (you can choose what area code you want from a list) with the subscription too. Bargain I thought, I hope that helps, this is a great site.

Mark
  • BexTechBexTech Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Skype and Tesco are usually the two dearest providers.

Though Skype are having to do offers, as they are losing ground to VoIP providers that don't use a proprietary system and have been much cheaper.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • AlexUK_3AlexUK_3 Forumite
    171 Posts
    Hi

I signed up to Skype, got the £30 Binatone cordless phone from Argos and hooked it up to my PC. I made calls fine on Sunday.

Now for two days the phone is saying disconnected from PC everytime I try to use it.

Anyone know what could be wrong. My Broadband 4MB Virgin connection is working fine. I use a wired Belkin router model F5D 5230-4.

Anyone help please?

Thanks
  • dot111dot111 Forumite
    315 Posts
    Ok this may be silly question, I'm thinking of getting rid of my landline very rarely use it BUT my mom uses it to ring me.
    I have Skype on laptop, could she have Skype on her landline to call me via laptop?
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals