The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Maddox
    Maddox Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    It's easy for me to say 'don't buy them, then' for staples like cheese but if you can leave these undersized products on the shelves, leave them there! Go for cheaper own brands or buy Roses and Quality Street loose and put them in pretty bags - who needs the tins?!

There's nothing like a customer boycott to make sure they listen!!! Remember, it helped to free Nelson Mandela (he specifically asked customers to boycott South African goods!)!!!
  • hojanhandmade
    Options
    Yet another example -

Bought a large pot of Tesco own brand fruit yoghurt last week. Opened it and thought it didn't look full. Checked the label and found it was only 450g, not the usual 500g.
  • fionajbanana
    Options
    I don't eat this, but my great aunt does. Fray Bentos steak n kidney puddings come in a microwaveable pot, but lost 25g from 425g to 400g in the process.
  • tindella
    Options
    Not sure you consider wine a food (!) but wine boxes always used to be 3 litres. some still are but a lot are only 2.25 and you need to check the box before you buy.

Filter coffee is the same - some are only 200g where the standard appears to be 227g (strange figure, but true!).

So you think you have a bargain, but you don't always!
  • N20Y1D
    N20Y1D Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Celebrations tubs now down to 750g
    TESCO EVERY LITTLE change to the t&cs HELPS
  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    tindella wrote: »
    Not sure you consider wine a food (!) but wine boxes always used to be 3 litres. some still are but a lot are only 2.25 and you need to check the box before you buy.

Filter coffee is the same - some are only 200g where the standard appears to be 227g (strange figure, but true!).

So you think you have a bargain, but you don't always!

227g isn't such a strange figure. It's half a pound (or 8oz) in the imperial measures which most things used to be sold in before we adopted grams as an alternative which was an easy way to increase prices by trimming pounds down from 454g to a "nice round" 400g
  • shoppaholic_returns
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Tesco Finest British Chicken And Stuffing 120g £2.80 (2 for £4) no longer available.

Tesco Finest British Chicken And Stuffing 100g £3.00 (2 for £5)

Yes,this seems to be the case with all of the finest cooked meats!!
  • Tiggy10
    Tiggy10 Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    I noticed smart price bread has shrunk.

Im a teacher with 24 chn in my class. every year we make sandwiches for teddy bears picnic where chn get 1 slice of bread to make two squares each.

this year i bought the same loaf and when i got to school found it had only 23 slices in! thankfully i had two chn absent that day. :/

didnt realise I was supposed to stand in the bread aisle counting slices of smart price bread!now how would that look?! :rotfl:
    Paying it all off in 2017:
    Finance 1- [STRIKE]115[/STRIKE] Paid Jan 2017
    Finance 2- 335
    CC - [STRIKE]2000[/STRIKE]1800
    OD 1 - [STRIKE]2200[/STRIKE] 1850
    OD 2 - 2500
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    It's slightly different but the other week supermarket strawberries were packaged in 300g tubs as opposed to the more usual (these days) 400g. When I queried it I was told that because the supply of British strawbs was running low the packs were re-sized so there were more packs available for sale.

It does make a twisted sort of sense but, you've guessed it, the price remained the same.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    Options
    There should be a law that when a product reduces in size they have to advertise the fact on the product for 3 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback