The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2013 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Heinz Classics soups 300g can in Poundland 3 x 300g for £2 but 400g can on offer Sainsbury's 3 x400g for 2.50 to 01/10

Edited to add that 99p Stores has 2 Heinz Classics cream of tomato soup for 99p but they are only 295g cans.
  • brown_dog
    Options
    Hi,I used to buy Morrisons value toad in the hole where you got two in the box for £1.00 now they've changed the box and only put 1 in which is very slightly bigger than the previous ones but it's still £1.00! I don't think this is the only thing they've done this to and means that now if I buy them for our family of four it costs me £4.00 instead of £2.00!100% increase!!
  • Lyndi7
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that the "offer" of 3 packets salmon fillets for £10 at both Tesco and Sainsbury's have shrunk in size - each salmon fillet in each 2 fillet pack is now so much thinner (smaller) than previously. So the £10 deal is not such a good deal anymore.
  • fionajbanana
    Options
    Lyndi7 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that the "offer" of 3 packets salmon fillets for £10 at both Tesco and Sainsbury's have shrunk in size - each salmon fillet in each 2 fillet pack is now so much thinner (smaller) than previously. So the £10 deal is not such a good deal anymore.

Why do people have to think you need to buy all 3 packs of the same meat on the 3 for £10 deal?

I always buy different meats - mince, chicken breasts and another. I once had the customer behind me saying to me 'the deal isn't going to work'
  • Whitemonk
    Options
    Why do people have to think you need to buy all 3 packs of the same meat on the 3 for £10 deal?

I always buy different meats - mince, chicken breasts and another. I once had the customer behind me saying to me 'the deal isn't going to work'

This is a pick'n'mix deal. It's good for a weekly shop. Not so good now if you just want three of one item, especially the salmon fillets, which we like on the 'buy one to eat now and freeze the other two down' scenario. The main problem now is that the individual portions are now too small. It's much easier with the mince, whole chicken and diddy lamb chops to vary the portions.

For us, it's a bit of an own goal for Tesco/Sainsbury. We are fortunate in having a couple of reasonable fishmongers close by so that we can buy our salmon and ask them to cut the fish up to our requirements at the time of purchase and probably get a better deal.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Toblerone went from 200g to 175g - but, it's now available in £shops, so really, their loss is our gain!
    I remember the days of 400g Toblerones at the 99p Shop - maybe 6 years ago?
    endafk wrote: »
    This was pointed out by a checkout assistant at waitrose - Innocent smoothness got smaller, price stayed the same. In case anyone from Innocent is reading, I never bought the product again. Funny how you get vivid indicators when it is 33% extra or "New Bigger Pack" but not when it is the other way around... it is quite deceiving, good if you're on a diet I suppose :mad:
    Incidentally, has Martin factored in that his hands have grown...? :p
    Much cheaper to make your own, and you know what has gone into it using your own frozen fruit, no preservatives, and I was surprised to find that it stayed stable in the fridge for 48 hours. I wouldn't want to consume it much longer than after that, though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Have smoothies got 20% tax on them?
  • mitch12
    Options
    same old really people complain about price increases and size reductions yet people still buy the items etc only way can change it is people not buying them
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mitch12 wrote: »
    same old really people complain about price increases and size reductions yet people still buy the items etc only way can change it is people not buying them
    Many of us put our money whe our mouths are and don't spend on luxuries we consider to be poor value. Lurk on the OS board to identify who's who...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have never seen an image of these Wagon Wheels on the internet. I have seen images of other packaging from the 60s and 70s. Could someone please show me a photo of it? I want it to be held by someone for size comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkWKTeKHBWA
    They used to be huge - or was it that the actors all had tiny little hands?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback