The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Russellf
    Options
    Whiskas and Felix multipacks used to be 48 pouches, now they are 44. Flora pro-active cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks were 7 in a pack, now only 6!
  • ajd3
    ajd3 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2013 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Farmfoods Rhubarb used to be £1 for 1kg, the bag size reduced a wee while ago to 750g and the sliced apple pack size has reduced from 750g to 500g while the price remains the same. They are the biggest size reductions I have come across.
  • yakamalayo
    Options
    Fed up with Hovis. I like their sliced granary bread and while I don't keep a note of the weight, I can only seem to get the thick sliced now, not the medium sliced. So even if the loaf is the same weight, it has fewer slices so you get through it faster. I happen to prefer thinner slices anyway, but it's also a mean trick to sell fewer slices for the same price.
  • gazchaz
    Options
    Samchoco wrote: »
    Its annoying that the fruit shoot bottles have shrunk and now they want 2 in their lunch boxes so it costing me double (they love the stuff)

We got our little boy a sports bottle and fill with squash, its cheaper and also less waste/recycling.
  • JustLikeThat
    Options
    My complaint is not about a shrinking size but an enlarged one. we used to buy red or white pure grape juice (not juice drink) for 85p a litre carton. They now only stock the 1.5 litre carton at £1.89. Do the maths and it works out as an increase of 41p per litre because of the repackaging.
  • Mrs_Peeps
    Options
    Not from concentrate juices used to be 3 x 1 litre cartons for £3.50. It repackaged the juice into plastic bottles of 900 ml and kept the price the same. Rotters!
    Problem is I really like the juices .... :cool:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ajd3 wrote: »
    Farmfoods Rhubarb used to be £1 for 1kg, the bag size reduced a wee while ago to 750g and the sliced apple pack size has reduced from 750g to 500g while the price remains the same. They are the biggest size reductions I have come across.

I noticed on the flyer that came from Farmfoods that the bags of smoked haddock were now 450g instead of 500g. It's still good value at 900g for £5 but yet another sneaky price increase. Fortunately, 500g bags still in stock when I got mine last week.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Super noodles appear to have reduced size of the noodle nests.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • fionajbanana
    Options
    MSE_Debs wrote: »

It's easy to think things used to be bigger (Martin remembers when Wagon Wheels were twice the size of his hands!) so please try and back it up with the stats and measures if you can.

I have never seen an image of these Wagon Wheels on the internet. I have seen images of other packaging from the 60s and 70s. Could someone please show me a photo of it? I want it to be held by someone for size comparison.
  • fionajbanana
    Options
    twigpig wrote: »
    I've notivced that multipacks are changing

Some beans etc are coming in 3's now but I used to get 4 for £1 on offer. Noticed the same with chocolate bars too. Those aren't always 4 packs now, again moving to only 3 bars..... These are both in infancy, but I'm sure it won't be long before that's the norm...... :(

Mars, Snickers, Rolos, Smarties and the various Cadbury multipacks are in 4 in supermarkets and 3 in pound shops. Stock up on the 4s when they are on offer for £1 at supermarkets.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback